Puppy Linux Weekly (Is puppy ready?)

Promote Puppy !
jcagle

#16 Post by jcagle »

I personally prefer HTML (simple one, not Microsoft Excel-export).

The user can choose his own font, it is fast, it can be parsed to be converted in any format.

Don't know how flexible the PDF-converters are already concerning this.

Mark
Well if it's going to be for print, such as a printed magazine, a magazine/newspaper ad, etc, and a graphic designer wants a certain font on there that not all computers have, PDF is the way to go.

If it's on line, I'd say HTML is the way to go.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

8)

Once you have basic information it is easy to edit and present in wiki, html or Pdf format.

I would suggest developing the existing news page into something done 4 times a month on the wiki
- people can of course edit whenever they wish
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LatestNews

I would suggest editing and including the highlights of Barrys news and info from the forum

Then when ready provide the info as you like

You will notice that abiword can output pdf but not input it
The pdf format is best suited for a Puppy instructional manual which can also be started as a wiki page and then converted to different formats including pdf

What you are proposing is providing information in a closed source format. I am sure your intention is to keep Puppy open and free :)
However it makes more sense (to my limited thinking) to provide and produce the information in an open arena and then close source (pdf it) if we so wish

4 times a month you write and say this page is available in pdf format
This way the news page and newsletter become available and partly interchangeable

Good luck however you procede

Hope that makes sense :)
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 15 Nov 2005, 09:17, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

klhrevolutionist

never

#18 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Never, never. I have asked for anybody and everybody to contribute.
Send me anyting and I will put it into the publication as is with correct spelling of course, and maybe some background or stuff of that nature.
The wiki as you know Lobster is very good. And I still am messing with this openoffice. It seems easier to try and create html with OO. So I am trying
to make it as openly as possible. The only reason I want to use pdf is because I
at least have a little bit more luck with it. No one else took the intiative, and I have been thinking about how to make it more easier for people to catch up
or gain some knowledge of puppy. I understand that this idea might actually bring traffic to the wiki by pointing out things they might not otherwise have seen. As part of the foundation people, you might look for this kind of exposure. I am not the worlds best but I am charging nothing and asking for input from anybody interested. I even put that on the demo.pdf I uploaded.
Some might say html well I challenge the person's wanting html to do so.
I will follow your lead & produce a pdf if you like.

Thanks.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

klhrevolutionist

more

#19 Post by klhrevolutionist »

With all that being said. A lot of mixed feelings about which format to use.
I of course am already creating some templates. For those interested the
Puppy Linux Weekly if that is the chosen name.

We will need
1. people to contribute
2. graphic artist a.k.a grafpups
3. editors.
4. a schedule
5. meeting times

I believe this will be sufficient, anyone else willing to take the lead, grab the horse by the reins and have at it.

The hierarchy is roughly as follows:

Barry K. -- ultimate control, if wanted.

Foundation -- The foundation role will be to overhead the editor-in-chief.
They will make sure that puppy is being represented correctly and that it promotes puppy in all the right ways. It also has the power to disallow any publications and dismiss of staff. With a council vote.

editor-in-chief -- over the content of the publication and manages the entire staff (this means from managing editor all the way to staff writer. this person also typically writes the editorial.

graphics editor -- graphic editor are higher level editors, but fall below the editor-in-chief and the managing editor. typically, an associate editor will be the high-ranking member in a certain area of the paper (i.e. layout), but he/she has the same "power" if you will as the editor-in-chief

features editor- will present special pages to be featured,

opinion editor - will deal with incoming contributions

This is what I believe will be needed other's with special talents are always welcome. And if other's have another heirarchy in mind please do.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

aahhaaa

#20 Post by aahhaaa »

klh- all the suggestions seem to show a lot of interest and 'caring'; don't feel you are being elbowed around... :D

There are many apps online and even for Puppy that would help create either webpages or blogpages in pure drag & drop- Lycos & others make it easy.

You are talking about a considerable amount of time tho, so mebbe it would be good to focus tighter on what isn't already being done to some extent elsewhere, and who exactly it is for- newbies or old-hands? (For example, there are lots of posts about installing Puppy & its various programs, but little enough about how people are actually using them.)
Building a newsletter itself with Puppy components is one of those topics that would take you from Gimp to the new Abiword to mebbe Open Office (for pdf'ing?). Documenting Puppy in action would take us where no distro has gone before...
Also, this may sound like 'Let Mikey try it' but for myself, I'm still playing Linux catchup (and I think like a lot of others) my online time is extremely limited and dialup, so savable/printable is especially useful for me- more so than the 'feature-rich' stuff like hi-K pix & anims. There seems a narrow path for newletters there- most quickly get over-constructed, imho.

jcagle

#21 Post by jcagle »

I'd like to be one of the graphic artists that contributes. Let me know what you need, and I'm on it.

seldomseen

#22 Post by seldomseen »

A few thoughts on this ...

-----
klh said:
We will need
1. people to contribute
2. graphic artist a.k.a grafpups
3. editors.
4. a schedule
5. meeting times
-----

Scheduling is key; once you determine how often you're going to publish, a set of deadlines would be in order ... work backwards through the production cycle to determine when you'll need the copy, the art, all that good stuff.

Meeting times? I'm assuming we're talking about online, but for those staffers with limited 'net resources (pay-by-the-hour dialup, tin cans, string, etc) it might be better to just throw a lot of email around and do most of the communication that way. Or something.