How to repair your Puppy 215CE AND Puppy4.1

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Gorilla no baka

How to repair your Puppy 215CE AND Puppy4.1

#1 Post by Gorilla no baka »

Right....

I am running Puppy 215CE full install on the hard disk (one of the best if you ask me...)
Now, since in Puppy 215CE the pet-be-gone it is not working and since it seems that there is no way to make it work since
the 0pkgs_db-2.1.5.pet is nowhere to be found ... :P
I have just started to do my own rudimentary scripts using the
rm -rf command...(rudimentary but is working once you have the path to the aplication you want to delete)

So just few minutes ago after succesfuly deleting all the stupid games the JWM window manager ,Dillo browser and all the help files i could find...with no problems or whatsoever...Well i just stumbled over the Pango folder in /usr/lib/pango and because remembered reading on some forums that SeaMonkey and Firefox would run faster without Pango stuff, you know the usual stuff

Code: Select all

1. Cat > ~/.mozilla/firefox/rc
2. Insert line below
export MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=0
I decided to give it a shot...NO DICE...Seamonkey would refuze to play youtube videos after....
Than as i said just stumbled over the Pango folder in /usr/lib/pango and decided to remove it but in the last secound i changed my mind and instead of using rm -rf i just decide to MOVE it from it`s own location to one of my back up folder to see what`s gonna happen...

Well after the reboot the desktop lost all it`s icons and most of the applications would not work not even from the command line... (gxine, grafburn...etc) the command fixmenus won`t work either,,,
Good news is seamonkey would still work if you go to start menu and start the aplication from there...but since i was not happy with the curent situation and looking for a way to fix it i decided to pop in the Puppy 215CE and reinstall .
In the last secound I just changed my mind and when the cd asked me what would i like to do either to wipe the instalation or to PERFORM AN UPGRADE , I decided to chose the last one...I Did an upgrade and after 2 minuts i got my OS running again without losing any of my saved files...
Nasty part is that i have to start over again but since i have the ,,batch files`` saved that`s piece of cake...

SO REMEBER YOU CAN RECOVER YOUR OS BY DOING AN UPGRADE WITHOUT LOSING ANY OF YOUR FILES YOU HAVE SAVED ON THE HARD DISK

Hope that would help someone out there.I have`t tryed the trick with Puppy4.1 but i am pretty sure it works,...
Last edited by Gorilla no baka on Tue 16 Dec 2008, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/29zdifo.jpg[/img]
[b]
[color=red]I'M IN MY OWN WORLD[/color].[/b] [color=darkred]IT'S OK, THEY KNOW ME HERE..!!![/color]

Gorilla no baka

How to repair your Puppy4.1

#2 Post by Gorilla no baka »

Today I decided just out of curiosity(and boredom) to do a full install on my HD with Puppy4.1 and than to distroy it step by step using Pet-be-gone :lol: just to see if i can repair it the same way i did with my Puppy215CE using the CD instalation disk...

Well , good news is that is working....

Nothing was lost ,the files i had saved on the disk were still there even the tweaks i had applied to SeaMonkey in /root/.mozilla/default/r3y1skkw.slt/prefs.js were still there ........(Hurray) :P

Same about the tweaks from /etc/rc.d/rc.local.....

So remember: YOU CAN ALLWAYS RECOVER YOUR OS BY DOING AN UPGRADE USING YOUR Puppy4.1 CD DISK WITHOUT LOSING ANY OF YOUR FILES YOU HAVE SAVED ON THE HARD DISK ...IT WILL ONLY TAKE 3 MINUTS TO REPAIR YOUR OS...

FEEL FREE TO MESS AROUND WITH YOUR INSTALATION NOW... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :P

Have fun guys,,,
[b]
[color=red]I'M IN MY OWN WORLD[/color].[/b] [color=darkred]IT'S OK, THEY KNOW ME HERE..!!![/color]

DanYHKim

Did your computer start to sing you a song?

#3 Post by DanYHKim »

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Gorilla no baka

Re: Did your computer start to sing you a song?

#4 Post by Gorilla no baka »

DanYHKim wrote:Sorry, couldn't help it.
Re: Did your computer start to sing you a song?

Daisy, Daisy . . . give me your answer, do!
Well somebody was singging but it wasn't this song...

It was more like..'' Tweak me up before you go,go..``

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P

The problem is that i am very curious guy...So if something picks up my curiosity...well, I go for it...Say ,I want to see if it is possible to Boot Xp Professional with only one font In the Fonts Folder...
http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/ind ... opic=10989

Than i go for it ...it does not matter how many times the OS crahes and stuff ,as long as i satisfy my curiosity..lol :P ..
That`s me ... but than again ,I take it, most of the guys in here are the same....

Have fun mate...
[b]