Floppy Formatter 1.6.2

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
8-bit

Floppy Formatter 1.6.2

#1 Post by 8-bit »

I had tried out a new version of ufiformat with my Floppy Formatter and it did not work. So I got in touch with the creator of it and he modified it.
His latest version is ufiformat-0.9.6.
But he also looked at my floppy formatting program and commented on it not supporting more than one internal drive.
He did a major rewrite of my program that supports more than 1 legacy floppy drive and also cleaned things up a lot.
I have to say a big thank you to Kazuhiro Hayashi for his efforts.
I also gave him credit in the comments of the floppy formatter program.
Changes:
Checks for existence of all floppy drives
Shows them if they exist in the menu
Major clean up of the code

So if you want to test the new version, it is attached as a Pet.
Attachments
Floppy_Formater-1.6.2.pet
Updated Floppy format program
(19.73 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
Last edited by 8-bit on Tue 03 Nov 2009, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

Can you find out where the sources are for 0.9.6 -they don't seem to be on his webpage at:
http://www.geocities.jp/tedi_world/format_usbfdd_e.html

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

amigo wrote:Can you find out where the sources are for 0.9.6 -they don't seem to be on his webpage at:
http://www.geocities.jp/tedi_world/format_usbfdd_e.html
Ask and you will receive.
The sources are beta, although they seem to work better at USB device detection than his version 0.9.5.
So I am including the source for ufiformat-0.9.5 beta for you.
Attachments
ufiformat-0.9.6-beta.tar.gz
Beta version source of ufiformat-0.9.6-beta. A proposed replacement for ufiformat-0.9.5 done by Kazuhiro Hayashi
(89.09 KiB) Downloaded 396 times

amigo

#4 Post by amigo »

Thanks -added to my collection.

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

This is for more information on Floppy Formater 1.6.2
The new beta version of ufiformat, ufiformat.0.9.6-beta, is included as part of Floppy_Formater-1.6.2.pet.
Before installing it, be sure to remove any old versions.
Also, it seems that the modification/almost complete rewrite of my script by Kazuhiro Hayashi uses Perl also.
Since Perl support is already in Puppy, that should pose no problems.

amigo

#6 Post by amigo »

Achh -perl! I'll have a look at it -surely we can do that with bash -even if eprl is on your system it sounds like overkill.

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

This is a new version that supports both usb and internal floppy drives and has error checking and a persistent main menu.
It can be found at:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 386#367386

I just supplied the link to keep from having to uploaded it across various sections of the forum.

Again, let me know if you have any problems with it.

amigo

#8 Post by amigo »

So that is a non-perl version?

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

Amigo,
You are correct in that assumption.
Only supporting files are GTKdialog3, not included, and ufiformat, included.
I went round about in my checking for the existance of an internal floppy drive.
But the method seems to work.
The code could probably use improvement, but I do not have the programming experience to use commands like 'case of'.
I wrote it in sections, modifying each section till it seemed to function with no crashes.
I did have an area where it failed.
I had a 1.44 meg floppy that I had mistakenly written a 720k disk image to using the 'dd' command.
It was Microsoft MASM from about 1981.
I had to manually use ufiformat with a force option to get it formatted back to 1.44megs.
Other than that, it seems to work well.
You are welcome to examine the code at your leisure and offer suggestions.

amigo

#10 Post by amigo »

Unfortunately I don't have much leisure time -I mean I have it but it gets spent on other things. I am creating a complete system from scratch with arch-agnostic build scripts for everything, so that once done, I can get on with doing the same for other arches like ppc, ARM and loongson.

However, there will come a day when this sort of software shows up on the radar as 'imminently incoming'. the system I am building is especially aimed at netbooks, tablets and other such devices whose chief (or only) means of connecting extra devices is over USB, so, even though floppies aren't much used anymore, I still think your tool will come in handy. When I get there, there will, no doubt, be some cleanups, error-checking or other stuff added.

Meanwhile, find yourself another project that ineterests you and tackle that -you'll get better with each thing you take on.
To make good photos, look at lots of good photos -I mean, read lots of good code to learn better coding.