HOWTO change settings in Pwidgets

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
steve_s

#16 Post by steve_s »

Ok, figured out how to move it down: menu--> desktop--> desktop settings--> pwidgets tiny desktop apps and then under that File then preferences and set the starting height to what you want, in my case I set it to 300. Looks good.

Now if I could just get the drive spaces to show with some information rather than just "Drive Space" then I'd be all set. ;-)

steve_s

#17 Post by steve_s »

Figured that out too: in the area on the file Space_drives in /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/configs I noticed that there was nothing under the last line after the text for "Drive Sizes" as there should be, so I went to a Space_drives file in pwidgets on Puppy 4.2.1 and copied how it was there at the end of the file. Now it looks great. 8)

Don't know if that is added to pwidgets bugs list...someone tell me if it isn't mentioned to Zigbert and I'll post it.

Sky Aisling

#18 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi Steve_S,

You write:
Main question: I just have the calendar and the save spaces/disk spaces as options, but I want them in the bottom right of the screen, not the top right of the screen.
Does this help?
Starting on the PWidgets main box:
On the right side under title of ‘Widgets on Desktop’ highlight the widget you want to move.
Then, choose the green *down* arrow right above the ‘Widgets on Desktop’ title.
Each click of the the arrow will move the widget down a notch in the list.
Play with the arrows to see how they move the widget. (You must have a widget highlighted for the arrows to activate).

Also, to change the side of the screen that the widget list appears: choose *file*/*preferences*.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

steve_s

#19 Post by steve_s »

Sky Aisling: thanks!

fenex2004

#20 Post by fenex2004 »

Hey guys,

Hoping this thread still al ittle active.

Finally got a functioning copy of my frugal install to burn; everything where it is supposed to be. One of the few remaining problems is that the Pwidgets don't load at startup when booting from the new CD. Thought I had seen a posting about how to get pwidgets to start at boot up but can't find it now. Anyone remember having this problem? the solution?

Thanks !

CatDude

#21 Post by CatDude »

Hello fenex2004

I just did a quick test using Pwidgets 2.3.0 in a remastered Puppy-4.32,
yes i admit it is not the latest version, but it is what i already had installed.

All that i did was Start it up: Desktop > Pwidgets tiny desktop apps
then in the Pwidgets GUI: File > Stop/Start Pwidgets

Then i closed all open windows and rebooted,
Pwidgets was automatically started when i booted back into Puppy-4.32

I do have the following file: /root/Startup/0_show_widgets
who's contents are:

Code: Select all

fixwidgets -boot &
which is probably resposible for starting it each boot.
NOTE:
That file is executable

Hope that helps
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

fenex2004

#22 Post by fenex2004 »

Hey catdude,

Thanks! I think that's the file Iwas looking for- sounds familiar anyways :D I appreciate your help on this one. Maybe now I can get this little project over with LOL

morgonzola

#23 Post by morgonzola »

hey there i just started looking at these today (better then i thought :D ) and i have 2 pretty easy questions

1. pupeee 4.4rc2 comes with pwidgets version 2.2.7. does this version have the heavy conky that the wiki talked about that supports images?

2. for some reason i can only get one side transparent. when i tell the gui to make both transparrent, it makes them almost transparent. and when i only pick one, it makes the other one clear, but keeps one the same. is there a way to make both the left and right sides clear?

jrb

#24 Post by jrb »

morgonzola wrote:2. for some reason i can only get one side transparent. when i tell the gui to make both transparrent, it makes them almost transparent. and when i only pick one, it makes the other one clear, but keeps one the same. is there a way to make both the left and right sides clear?
The short answer is yes. I'm still using pwidgets2.2.7 in all my installs but I have it as part of a batch install with all the other .pets I like.

I managed to get both sides clear, wish I remembered how. I've got /root/.pwidgets/tmp/sidebarr set to "fadebar___right.png" but I don't remember whether I had to modify the .png to get it clear.

Am at work right now but will have a look tomorrow and see if I can remember what I did.

Cheers, J

jrb

#25 Post by jrb »

morgonzola wrote:is there a way to make both the left and right sides clear?
Here's what I just did:

1)Went to Desktop-Pwidgets-Plugins-Sidebar
2)Chose the right circle (also tried with left and both)
3)Applied the "DarkArea_left" theme, since mine was clear to start with
4)Clicked the "Remove" button

And presto-chango back to clear. :D

Hope that works for you, J

morgonzola

#26 Post by morgonzola »

And presto-chango back to clear.

presto-chango i like that :lol:

thanks jrb it worked like a charm [/quote]

morgonzola

#27 Post by morgonzola »

And presto-chango back to clear.

presto-chango i like that :lol:

thanks jrb it worked like a charm

HiDeHo

Re: HOWTO change settings in Pwidgets

#28 Post by HiDeHo »

[quote="01micko"

zigbert has created a 'howto' for making widgets
Creating a widget
A simple widget
Take a look at /root/.pwidgets/configs/ScrollText. Change the text at bottom of the file. Save new file with another name (keep it in /root/.pwidgets/configs/). Restart Pwidgets, and your new widget is available.
just to let you know in 525 using pwidegts both 2.2.7 and 2.3.1 from quickpet /root/.pwidgets/configs/ has now moved to /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/configs/