The future of Carolina

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
carolina

The future of Carolina

#1 Post by carolina »

We have been discussing the future of Carolina and the possibility of releasing version 1.2. We are wondering what our user base is and if it's worth the effort to do so.

It's a lot of work updating Carolina. lot's of back and forth on pidgin, sending files, testing, compiling apps, more testing and so forth.

We would appreciate puppy forum member feedback to help us make this decision.

Thank you for your support.
Last edited by carolina on Fri 27 Dec 2013, 14:45, edited 4 times in total.

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Number 1.. don't edit polls on this forum.. they screw up! :roll:

On topic..

I'd like to integrate building of Carolina (or similar) into woof-CE, it's one of the goals to be independent of rox/jwm.

Adrive (X,Y) support (preliminary) is already there, thanks to mavrothal.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Do you use Carolina?
then there is four buttons with no text
and then four buttons for those that does not use
it but no text on them either. So I can not answer.

I tested Crolina yesterday but it it too different
from standard Puppy so I would have to learn
a whole new interface and I am very bad at such.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

carolina

#4 Post by carolina »

There are 4 yes and 4 no, just pick one. Flash has been PM'ed to sort it out.

Geoffrey

#5 Post by Geoffrey »

@01micko

Thanks for the vote, we don't get a lot of traffic on the Carolina thread, it's hard to judge the usage, nice to see that woof-CE is taking on-board some of Jemimah's ideas.

@nooby

The poll is screwed up for the time being, but thanks for the reply, yeah it is a bit different, but not that difficult to master, the menu is straight forward and easy enough to follow, a lot of the apps maybe different to what your use to, that being said, if you have used windows then Carolina with xfce should be a breeze to use, just persevere with it and see how it pans out for you.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

inoxidabile

#6 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi !
I have to take care of 6 pc and two of them have Carolina :)
One has an "older" release (0.7 if I remember well... it runs so good then why should I update it ? :D )
The other has release 1.0 and it also runs fine.
I follow Puppy from several years, starting from the beginning of 3.x and IMHO Carolina is the best compromise between several points, such as minimalism, good look and setups, availability of repos and so on.
By my side I can only say: thanks to the developer !

Oh just one think more... the end of Year is coming, so please accept my wishes of Happy New Year :)

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

I agree with inoxidabile that I love that you care
to give us something different using xfce if I remember
many want that. How many that use it have no idea

I trust I go back to Lupu but that is my laziness
and has nothing to do with the features of Carolina.

I am not good at remembering how to do new things.

Took me years to learn Lupu. My brain too slow.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Billtoo

The future of Carolina

#8 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to the hard drive, computer is a gateway desktop
pc.
Summary
Computer
Processor 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 16613MB (173MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 27 Dec 2013 02:51:36 AM UTC
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Version 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.117
Direct Rendering Yes

I downloaded the 400mb iso, it has some of my favorite applications
(smplayer and clementine) plus others that I haven't tried
yet.
I added wine 1.7.9 because it allows running the windows version of VLC
2.1.2 and VLC is another favorite :)

No problems with sound or network connection.
Carolina 1.1 gets added to my favorite pups list for sure :)
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(33.81 KiB) Downloaded 952 times
screenshot.jpg
(40.78 KiB) Downloaded 1227 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 27 Dec 2013, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Panic

#9 Post by Colonel Panic »

I think Carolina's a great distro and I could easily use it as my main desktop if I wasn't spoilt for choice, not least with other Pups :) However, If you're thinking of going down the road of not updating Carolina any more, may I suggest an easier alternative? An add-on pack for one of the other Puppy bases like lupu or slacko, with XFCE (and all the XFCE apps), the Gimp, Clementine, LibreOffice and the ESR edition of Firefox, and one last thing - the header font which appears at the top of the application and is at the moment displaying the legend "Puppy Linux Discussion Forum = Post a reply - Mozilla Firefox", which adds a lot of character to the distro when in use.

I'd also still like to use the Carolina repos to download games like Concentration, which I play a lot and which AFAIK isn't available from any other Puppy.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 27 Dec 2013, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

veronicathecow

Love carolina

#10 Post by veronicathecow »

I find the interface much easier than standard puppy, very clean and pleasant to the eye and much better for noobs.
Many thanks I would love to see this continue.

carolina

#11 Post by carolina »

It seems that Flash couldn't sort out the poll issue. We can either make a new thread and ask Flash to delete this one or just leave it as is and go by the feedback from user posts.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Marv

#12 Post by Marv »

ALL of my rescued and given away laptops run (and have for some time) some version of Carolina. Ranges from Lina-lite 005 up to full Carolina 1.1. Why? It's a combination of reliability, a great repo, and the xfce4/thunar/menu structure that once easily customized, is very easy for the users (all refugees from the dark side) to adapt to. It's the only pup since BoxPup 4.12 I can farm out this way.
These advantages overwhelm the datedness of some of the libraries (note: with fairly simple glibc patches SlimBoat etc run quite acceptably).
IMHO, the ability to do a frugal install, with a savefile that can be restored simply FROM A BACKUP OS makes the overall system far more bulletproof than a full install system that must be up and running for a 'restore/audit trail..' to work. (Quirky 6.0 or WIN X.X). I expect to be roasted here :wink:
Once I have a system set up. all of the core progs and look and feel are in read only SFS, user data on separate partitions via symlinks, and only day to day clutter in the savefile. Never have lost a one.
I work on and play around with several openbox/lxde/tint2/ systems in search of smaller efficient systems with newer kernels but time after time come back to a variant of Carolina as that which just works.

Well, ya asked didn't ya :D
Edited: spelling
Last edited by Marv on Fri 27 Dec 2013, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

oligin10

Please keep

#13 Post by oligin10 »

Hi guys, just my 2c worth. This is the best release in the last year on this forum. Very nice with a lot of work put into it. I would love it if this became the CE version. You guys have put so much work into this and I would hate to see this go away. Have you announced this on either DistroWatch or Linux Softpedia? I know the guys at Simplicity keep announcing their stuff there and IMHO this is a much more sorted out Linux. Good luck, Rob

einar

Carolina

#14 Post by einar »

I have followed puppy linux since i stumbled upon puppy linux during a dristrowatch.com raid. i downloaded and tested the top 70ish dirstros and puppy was by far my favorite distro. It was lightning fast and still capable of being used as a day to day distro for a person who is used to windows. The version i tested then was lupu / luci? 517 what irritated me the most was how far back and old school rox/jwm was. as a windows user this was really annoying. Then Saluki came and i was amazed. gone was my interest of any other distro / derivative of puppy. Before i had my eye on lh64bit.

Carolina is my main linux distro, its the one I use and installed on several computers. Its the one i recommend to people that wants to try linux, or renew their slow xp/vista/7 machines. Many new machines sold are underpowered with the slow microsoft os running on top.

Carolina and Carolite is downloaded and tested when new versions arrive. I have 2 small children and sadly not so much time to write. I do follow the carolina / app thread every day to see if someone has posted somthing. Maybe there is several more like that download and use Carolina without posting ? Maby even Jemimah Smile

Anyway time is precious and I would like to thank you for giving your time to me Smile

Best Regards

Einar

tlcstat

#15 Post by tlcstat »

Greetings,
Carolina has been the only puppy on my machine for a couple of years. I can't get the desired functionality on any of the others. Like some of the other Carolina users I don't do updates because what I have is just fine. Thank you for you dedication and hard work.

rokytnji

#16 Post by rokytnji »

I use it and sold my 2 eeepcs with it also. You don't get any feedback from me because your repos are just fine and dandy by me. I don't post many "help me" posts on this or any linux forum that I am a distro team member
of. My team mate buddies help me out when I bleat like a sheep.

I use various puppies from Carolina, GuyDog, Macpup, Diamond, Slack0, MyWolfe, etc, and what ever else
I can get my greasy biker fingers on.

Code: Select all

biker@biker-laptop:~/Isos$ ls
Rexbang Puppy
So yeah, I use it. I just usually figure out my issues on my own.
I hosted puppeee downloads on my own cloud service till someone
else took over the reins so I try and do my small parts for my fellow
kennel pack bros.

I am more of a Walmart greeter than a coder though. But i can cruise through the linux file system OK and I keep a pastebin account for what
I can't remember.

Besides. It just runs good

Code: Select all

# inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: puppypc13232 Kernel: 3.2.13-ski i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.3.4) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.10.0 (Gtk 2.24.8) Distro: Carolina Linux Linux 3.2.13-ski [ arch]
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 6075BHU version: ThinkCentre M57
           Mobo: LENOVO model: LENOVO Bios: LENOVO version: 2RKT41AUS date: 03/20/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 7185.46 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1800.00 MHz 2: 1800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.org: 1.11.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci ver: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 11:0c.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 1.5.1-k port: 1820 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: (2320.5GB,5.9% used) () 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200AAKS size: 320.1GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST2000DM001 size: 2000.4GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 1.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 115 Uptime: 58 min Memory: 303.9/3753.4MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A 
           Client: Shell (bash 3.00.16) inxi: 1.9.17 
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.387 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS
Last edited by rokytnji on Sun 29 Dec 2013, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Moat

#17 Post by Moat »

After about two years playing around with various Puppies, I finally got around to downloading and trying Carolina 1.1 in the last few days... this is an outstanding Puppy! Might even become my #1.

XFCE is a really good looking, complete, smooth and responsive DE. And somewhat surprisingly, Carolina so far appears to be the least CPU intensive Pup I've tried - even with desktop effects/composting enabled and Pwidgets running, it's idling at 0-1% on this old Dell Optiplex GX620 (Pentium D @ 3.2Ghz), where a half-dozen other Pups typically idle at 3-6%. Excellent!

Very impressive, so far - great work, guys! Fast, full-featured, and it seems everything "just works" OOTB. 8) Would love to see it live on...

mikeslr

Long Live Carolina

#18 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Geoffrey, rg66 and all,

I explore lots of Pups, prefer lxde to xfce, but when I package a Pup to give to someone else it's Carolina because:
xfce+thunar is easier for window refugees to emigrate to than jwm + rox;
the ease of customization once xfce is figured out > not difficult, just different;
the abundance of applications;
the stability of the OS and applications > which is why the Carolina discussion thread isn't more active with posters expressing problems and complaints.

mikesLr

Marv

Re: Long Live Carolina

#19 Post by Marv »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Geoffrey, rg66 and all,

I explore lots of Pups, prefer lxde to xfce, but when I package a Pup to give to someone else it's Carolina because:
xfce+thunar is easier for window refugees to emigrate to than jwm + rox;
the ease of customization once xfce is figured out > not difficult, just different;
the abundance of applications;
the stability of the OS and applications > which is why the Carolina discussion thread isn't more active with posters expressing problems and complaints.

mikesLr
Exactly :!: The well oiled machine neither squeaks nor elicits squeaks.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

slenkar

#20 Post by slenkar »

I just booted the live CD of 1.1 it would not go online at all.
I am using eth0 the simplest internet connection, all other puppies can go online. This is weird.