Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 14:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to check MD5 hash in Windows
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
Evil20071

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec 2008, 23:41    Post subject:  How to check MD5 hash in Windows
Subject description: For the New Handlers. :D

I have run across the issue in the past where there is no way in Windows to check the MD5 hash of a downloaded file. Horrid, I know. Recently, though, I have acquired the MD5SUM Dos program (Attached) and thought I should share it with this community for anyone downloading Puppy (Or anything else for that matter) under Windows.

Steps for use:

1) Download md5sum.zip and extract the .exe to the same folder you downloaded your CD image to. (It doesn't support getting a file from its full location)
2) Open Command Prompt (In XP: Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt)
3) You will have the following show up: (Example is what I see)

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan>

4) Change the directory to match where you downloaded md5sum.exe to like this: (If Desktop)

Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan>cd C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop\

If successful, you will see this:

Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan>cd C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop\

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop>

5) Input the MD5 command: (Using the 4.1.1 ISO as an example)
Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop>md5sum puppy-4.1.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso

This will return the MD5 hash of the file you entered. It should match the one provided. If so, you can close the command prompt by typing exit and pressing enter. It will be displayed something like this:

Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop>md5sum puppy-4.1.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso
59edfa5ed985bfe30fd3216a19499892  *puppy-4.1.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop>
md5sum.zip
Description  md5sum.zip contains the DOS executable md5sum.exe which is used to check the MD5 hash of downloaded files.
zip

Download 
Filename  md5sum.zip 
Filesize  23.67 KB 
Downloaded  435 Time(s) 

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2008, 00:40    Post subject:  

evil20071, what is the provenance of that DOS program? Is it freeware or is it copyrighted?
Bligh

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2008, 01:38    Post subject:  

Here are some alternatives.

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html

Cheers
vg1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2008, 07:14    Post subject:  

...or use md5summer [.org] - simple & convenient
Billwho?

Location: still "In The Dog House" East Coast Oz Trialing 4.20

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2008, 07:56    Post subject:  

If you have the correct md5sum saved in a text file (eg. md5sum.txt ) in the same directory as the file you want to check you can enter the following code.
Code:
 md5sum -c md5sum.txt 

If all went well you will get "OK" retuned at the prompt.

If you do not get an "OK" check the md5sum manually as sometimes the checksum text file does not have the correct formatting of the checksum and file name and gives a false negative. Evil or Very Mad

I have heard that microsoft have finally managed to remove the command line entirely from vista. If this is true then anyone using vista will have to use a graphical test programme, several of which seem to be available from download dot com

Flash,
If the DOS programme Evil20071 has attached is the same as the one named "Md5sum 1.22 " on the download dot com page I have linked to above then it is listed as Freeware. Also if it is the same as the old copy I still have backed up on my external hard drive then running it with the --version flag will result in this.
Code:
 sh-3.00# wine ./md5sum.exe --version
md5sum (PCP patchlevel 2) (GNU textutils) 1.22
sh-3.00#

As you can see it runs onLlinux in Wine with no problem Smile and appears to be a GNU programme so may even have been released under the GPL.

KittyCat

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep 2009, 10:37    Post subject:  

Billwho? wrote:
I have heard that microsoft have finally managed to remove the command line entirely from vista.

They may have thought about that, or even tried, but thankfully they saw the light.

For any other Vista users out there:

In the dynamic search field in the Start menu, type 'cmd' (without the ' ', of course). Then hit enter, and you will now get a little DOS window with a command prompt.

If UAC interferes with the commands you want to run, they will return a message saying you need administrative privileges. If that happens just close the window, go back to the start menu, and type in 'cmd' again. Right-click on the Command Prompt shortcut and pick "run as administrator", and now the DOS window that opens will have Administrator rights.

I hope that helps someone. Smile

xman

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct 2009, 01:54    Post subject:  

PeaZip (http://peazip.sourceforge.net/) is an open source file and archive manager. You can use PeaZip on all Windows versions and on Linux.

PeaZip can verify file checksum and hash. If you want to calculate checksum, right-click the file you will check and select >> File Tools >> Checksum/hash file(s), and you have all checksums you have configured in PeaZip >> Options >> Settings >> File tools.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct 2009, 02:27    Post subject:  

I installed ages back, and been using WinMD5Sum, downloaded using the link given here.

Really easy to use. Very Happy
xman

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct 2009, 05:02    Post subject:  

xman wrote:
PeaZip (http://peazip.sourceforge.net/) is an open source file and archive manager. You can use PeaZip on all Windows versions and on Linux.

PeaZip can verify file checksum and hash. If you want to calculate checksum, right-click the file you will check and select >> File Tools >> Checksum/hash file(s), and you have all checksums you have configured in PeaZip >> Options >> Settings >> File tools.

PeaZip 2.7 (http://peazip.sourceforge.net/) works in Windows but also in Puppy Linux. " standalone for Linux (GTK2) TAR.GZ" is a portable version. Just download and unpack PeaZip archive, open folder (22 M) and run PeaZip by clicking it.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: