Puppy 4.1.2 (2.6.25.16 kernel) final - bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
sideburns

#61 Post by sideburns »

I had an old laptop that was running fine on Puppy 4.0. Then, I "upgraged" to 4.2.1 and was appalled!

First, if you try to mount the CD and use it to upgrade, the installer can't find the needed files. You can only do the upgrade by booting from the CD. Very bad!

Second, not only do you have to edit grub, the installer doesn't bother to mount the partition for you (or remind you to do so). Just Plain SloppAss!

Third, it stomped all over my custom settings for wallpaper and start programs, and I'm going to have to waste hours of time figuring out what to edit and how to get back where I should have been in the first place.

Fourth: it took out the line adding the module needed to see my USB PCMCIA card so that I can't use USB any more. Not only that, if I change the mounter to use mutt, to "see" USB, it tells me it's working, then vanishes without popping up a window so that I can, at least, go back to where it was. Totally unusable!

Quite frankly, I'm sorry I "upgraded." I'm going to need a lot of time, a lot of work and, probably,. some suggestions from some of you to get my system working properly again.
Registered Linux user #470359

sideburns

#62 Post by sideburns »

More information. I've managed to get the partition mounter working by deleting a config file. However, I'm now house sitting, and the laptop's all I've got. Puppy 4.2.1 doesn't recognize my PCMCIA NIC, and can't access it, but I happen to have a Puppy 4.0 CD handy. It finds it, loads the pcnet_cs module and It Just Works. Alas, if I boot back into 4.2, it can't find the interface even if I tell it what module to use. Right now, I'm using the Live CD because it's the only Internet access I have. Calling this unacceptable is an understatement!

Does anybody know what I can do, short of nuking my installation and re-installing 4.0? I ask, because 4.2.1 is currently useless to me.

trapster

#63 Post by trapster »

If 4.2.1 is useless to you, use your backup save file and go back and use 4.00. What was it in 4.2.1 that you needed the upgrade?
I still use 3.0 for a lot of things.

As far as the wifi module. If it's loading a module that is incorrect, make sure you blacklist it before trying to load the correct one.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

sideburns

#64 Post by sideburns »

It's not that I needed something specific from 4.2.1, I thought that it would be better in general. After all, newer versions are supposed to be better.

And, your advice about the "wifi" card shows you didn't read too well. First, it's not wifi, it's a NIC for Ethernet. Second, it was loading the right module, it just can't use it. Right now, I'm running off a Live CD while housesitting at Chaos Manor (http://www.jerrypournelle.com) because it's my only way to get connected.

I'd already figured that I'd have to nuke and reinstall, I just hoped that I'd actually get some help from this forum. My mistake.

James C

#65 Post by James C »

If you were wanting help your post should probably be in the help section and not the area for bug reports.

More details also needed, type of install( full, frugal, etc.), computer specs, the more info the better.

sideburns

#66 Post by sideburns »

P II 233 with 96Meg RAM and a 3 Gig hard disk. Full install. My NIC, which is recognized by 4.0, is a Netgear PCMCIA NIC, and uses the pcnet_cs module. That works, just fine, with Puppy 4.0; even if I tell the wizard to use it in 4.2.1, it can't find the NIC, even though the module loads correctly.

BTW, when I tried to have it autoload a module, it managed to load two or three from the top of the list, but couldn't use them. Once I have this working, one way or the other, I'll mention it as a separate bug so that the developers can be properly informed. Also, I managed to correct the problem with pmount: nuking the hidden file that stores which engine is in use cleared it up.

mikeb

#67 Post by mikeb »

to all recent posters this is for puppy 4.12 bug reports not 4.21

mike

ps might be worth trying 4.12!

sideburns

#68 Post by sideburns »

Sorry, I misread the topic. When I get home, I'll download and try 4.1.2 and report back, one way or the other. Thanx!

mikeb

#69 Post by mikeb »

Sorry, I misread the topic. When I get home, I'll download and try 4.1.2 and report back, one way or the other. Thanx!
no probs....not even sure if this thread still recieves attention and you can see where the version mix up has come from.
I actually find 4.12 pretty solid

regards

mike

sideburns

#70 Post by sideburns »

OK, I've downloaded 4.1.2, burned it to a CD and tried it on my laptop. No better. It loads the module for my NIC, just like 4.2.1 did, but can't find it. I tried rebooting with the card in place, but no better. Then, I pulled the card and plugged in the USB card I need because the built in port's dead. Puppy detected the card and rebooted. Looks like I'm going to have to do a complete brain-wipe, reinstall 4.0 and start figuring out how I managed to customize it. I do wish, BTW, that it were easier to change from single-click to double-click for those of us who prefer it, and that it came with the default firewall active.

mikeb

Re: Puppy 4.1.2 (2.6.25.16 kernel) final - bug reports

#71 Post by mikeb »

bummer sideburns :(
Options in rox from right click for double click setting. . For some reason the right click menu in rox is disabled on the desktop...has a wallpaper setter in there too.
Legacy something blah setting (last tab?) does that
mike

PaulBx1

#72 Post by PaulBx1 »

Just lost my post so I have to re-do it. :cry:

As others have mentioned, grubconfig is broken.

Scenario: sda1 is a windows partition, sda2 an ext2 partition where I am going to put grub using that partition superblock (just changing the boot flag to that partition). I am using "expert" mode. I have booted with the pupsave on sda2 so that partition is already mounted.

I got a complaint that sda2 was mounted read-only, when in fact it was mounted read-write.

When I tried booting "pfix=ram", so that sda2 was not mounted, the configuration utility went into an endless loop.

Only when I chose "automatic" mode, still in "pfix=ram", did the utility go to completion. I have yet to check the results.

I believe the problem is in the function "root_device". Up front there, it does a mount, grep and awk to find the root device. In my case the result was "rootfs unionfs", which doesn't seem right to me. I'm not good enough with this scripting language to get much further into this.

sideburns

#73 Post by sideburns »

What are the mount options for /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab? I've had good luck with auto,umask=0000 because that forces read/write when rw doesn't work. Also, make sure the permissions on the mount point are correct.