Puppy 4.1.2 (2.6.25.16 kernel) final - bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
rolf

#31 Post by rolf »

I have installed to a 128M ext3 partition on a usb key and that boots on the same machine. So I guess the problem is with the micro sd card or the reader.

linuxcbon

#32 Post by linuxcbon »

Seamonkey crashes too often, especially with flash videos.

rjbrewer

#33 Post by rjbrewer »

Rolf;

If I understand this correctly, you are trying to do a "full install" of
Puppy to a 128 mb card.
Puppies' 94mb size expands to a little more than 250mb when a
full install is done; decompresses.
Don't think it will fit.

rjb

rolf

#34 Post by rolf »

Hi, as I said, I tested the size issue by installing to a 128M partition on usb key. The .sfs files are not expanded to the installation medium, just copied, aiui. Then, they can be expanded to ram entirely with pfix=copy or not and, apparently, the necessary parts can be extracted on the fly for low-ram systems, iianm.

Botanic

#35 Post by Botanic »

the partitions are obviously not treated correctly at shutdown !!
everytime i start OpenSuse after a Puppy session their is some kind of disk check...
Puppy 2.16 on HP Vectra VL400 - PIII 800 MHz - 320M RAM
Wary on Acer Aspire X3200 - Phenom X4 - 2.2GHz - 4G RAM

ecomoney

Intel graphics card drivers missing

#36 Post by ecomoney »

Theres is a bug which effect intel graphics chips, these are very commonly found on onboard graphics chipsets, and on laptops. It effects intel 810 and 915 chipsets I have seen so far.

Relevant threads

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 027#266027

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 474#263474

The bug manifests by disregarding users screen resolution selections, no error message is given. The bug is fixed by replacing the i810_drv.so driver file from puppy 3, instructions are in the threads.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

ecomoney

#37 Post by ecomoney »

Botanic, glad you find this bug in openSUSE also. It is also in puppy/ubuntu setup. It is due to puppy not unmounting the partition it is run from properly at shutdown. Apparently it is harmless, but does need fixing from a usability point of view

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37395

linuxcbon, the flash problem is well documented. It is because Adobe (who make the flash plugin) do not allow their code to be modified to fix the bugs that are in it, and they are unwilling (read "cannot be bothered") to fix them themselves. Considering the amount of flash content there is out there on the net, the free software foundation has made it a priority to get an open source version of flash running. They have had some progress but are hard pressed as Adobe wont release the technical specifications. It also means that flash isnt available for other platforms like powerpc (Apple Macs and PS3's) The project is called gnash, all we can do is donate them money and wish them the best...and complain to anyone with any power in adobe.

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority.html

You could also try installing a newer version of flash from the puppy installer.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

mikeb

#38 Post by mikeb »

HP2133 notebook..puppy 4.12 / 2.6.25 kernel...

Bit of an ongoing strange one......boots ok from flash and can mount sata hard drive.....full install also works...frugal install will not find pup_412.sfs....seems unable to scan/mount hard drive .(manged to mount manually with one puppy from rdsh but not this one)
Found variations of this with various puppies...using compatability mode made no difference.
The via_sata driver seems to be part of the kernel so a mystery to me.

Also note uses vesa driver in xorg...seems like an extended via driver (chrome 9?) is needed though not so much a bug as a missing feature.
Plus point...wlan working 100% and auto connects.

regards

mike

oh managed to wipe the carefully preserved suse install backup as hard drive ended up mounted via /tmp during full install.../tmp is cleared at shutdown...happened via mount icons...probably a one off just wanted to whinge :D ...fortunately owner is fast becoming a puppy lover.....

DanYHKim

kernel 2.6.25.15 or 2.6.25.16

#39 Post by DanYHKim »

When downloading the devx_412.sfs and kernel source.sfs at:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... modules-4/

the kernel source file has "2.6.25.15" in its filename. Is this correct for Puppy 4.1.2? I was trying to install VMware Player 2.5.1, which requires compiling modules, and get a message saying that the header files are not correct, or something like that.

If the .sfs file does contain sources for 2.6.25.15, then where can I get the 2.6.25.16 source? If the file contains the 2.6.25.16 source, could the archive be renamed to reflect the correct version?

Thank you

mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

Seamonkey crashes too often, especially with flash videos.
yes...cured (improved??) it with flash 9.0.124 from adobe archive though I read that the latest flash 10 is supposed to cure this ('on linux')...we shall see.
Also firefox 3 was hopeless for crashing and not just flash...firefox 2 gives same stability as seamonky so must be a mozilla version bug....picked up the flash and gxine plugins from seamonkey no problem.

Not sure if this is a puppy bug but after a crash (eg flat battery!!) on a HP2133 laptop full install, usb detection times out during boot exiting to prompt....'reboot' and enter brings it back to normal life but the sound often goes and have to rerun the alsa wizard...not sure if the 2 are related.

regards

mike

DanYHKim

4.1.2 does not need "acpi=off" when loading as a VMware VM

#41 Post by DanYHKim »

Previous versions needed to have "acpi=off" when booting a liveCD .iso in a VMware machine. This .iso does not need to do this. It comes up just fine. Thanks!

mikeb

#42 Post by mikeb »

Found answer to not booting under frugal install on HP2133

needed pmedia=scsihd .... drive listed as ATA under scsi in hardinfo.

One thing I noticed whilst testing was that pfix=ram seemed to be ignored and the hard drive install was used as pup_save...(tip.. remove the initrd folder to get the hd install working again)

regards

mike

vtpup

#43 Post by vtpup »

Xvidtune does not save Xorg settings.

Test case: Nvidia NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] type card. Dell Dell E228WFP LCD 1680x1050 monitor has screen displaced far to right. Physical monitor controls are unable to fully correct this by left shifting.

Xvidtune does allow shifting to the proper position, but does not save settings when "Show" and "Quit" are pressed, then "Write..

This action has been reported several times before. I haven't even seen a good workaround yet in the forums. And no explanation of Puppy's method of using xorg,conf, xrandr, and the xorg script.

Puppy Xvidtune wizard popup at the end does show the modeline settings that SHOULD have been saved:
The new modeline is:
"1680x1050" 146.25 1680 1960 2136 2240 1050 1053 1059 1089 +hsync -vsync

Note, you will have to restart X for it to take effect. If it messes
up X, edit from commandline 'mp /etc/X11/xorg.conf' and comment-out
the 'UseModes' line (do not delete it) in the Monitor section.

To insert this into /etc/X11/xorg.conf, click 'Write' button...
To exit without changing xorg.conf, click 'Quit' button...
but no modeline appears in the actual xorg.conf (relevant section printed below:

Code: Select all

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Monitor Model"
	HorizSync    31.5-90
	VertRefresh  60
	#UseModes     "Modes0" #monitor0usemodes
	Option      "PreferredMode" "1680x1050"
	EndSection

Section "Modes"
	Identifier "Modes0"
	#modes0modeline0
EndSection

Section "Device"
	### Available Driver options are:-
	### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
	### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
	### [arg]: arg optional
	#Option     "SWcursor"           	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "HWcursor"           	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "NoAccel"            	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "ShadowFB"           	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "UseFBDev"           	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "Rotate"             	# [<str>]
	#Option     "VideoKey"           	# <i>
	#Option     "FlatPanel"          	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "FPDither"           	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "CrtcNumber"         	# <i>
	#Option     "FPScale"            	# [<bool>]
	#Option     "FPTweak"            	# <i>
	#Option     "DualHead"           	# [<bool>]
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "nv" #card0driver
	VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
	BoardName   "NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1680x1050"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

#PuppyHardwareProfile=NVIDIA
Several attempts to hand write a modeline using the Xvidtune parameters into the Monitors section have failed to change things or resulted in Xorg failing to re-start.

This is not just a cosmetic bug, solvable by adjusting the physical monitor controls. In this case the controls do not have enough adjustment to overcome the severe displacement of the screen.

I don't expect replies here -- I'll add the above to an already existing thread. This is only a bug notification.

EDIT: solved, needs bugfix in next distro see:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 603#274603

smokey01

#44 Post by smokey01 »

I have reported my problem a few times without receiving a reply that was able to fix it. I guess it's not just me scratching my head.

Anyway, I have made some progress that may help find the answer and be of use to others.

The Problem
When I boot from a new CD image using the pfix=ram option I get as far as the mouse selection. I am not able to select a mouse as the keyboard does not work. It worked earlier so I could type in pfix=ram.

Ok, If I don't use the pfix=ram and just let it boot it asks me which save file to use, I have a few in different directories, I select option 0, no pup save file. Puppy continues to boot and I am able to select mouse and keyboard etc. Most of the software seems to work too.

The problems is that most of the drivers don't appear to be loaded. When I do a "modprobe via-rhine" to load my ethernet driver it can't be found.

I then had a look in the 2.6.25.16 directory and it seemed to be missing many files and sub directories. If I look in the 2.6.21.7 directory there is tones of files, 43M or so when the other directory only has about 500k. This all seems a bit odd.

I have also discovered you can type puppy then one space at the boot-up screen and it will also load however the same results occur.

I would really rather use the later kernel but until I solve this problem I have no choice, unless I buy another computer.

I have even tried loading the modules manually by copying them from a fresh CD. The modules still cannot be found.

There are a lot of good puplets that I would like to try but unfortunately most of them use the later kernel.

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem.

Puppy 4.0 was the first time I had encountered this problem on my computer. It must be kernel related or the associated software with it.

Thanks

Smokey

chrisf

Re: kernel 2.6.25.15 or 2.6.25.16

#45 Post by chrisf »

DanYHKim wrote:When downloading the devx_412.sfs and kernel source.sfs at:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... modules-4/

the kernel source file has "2.6.25.15" in its filename. Is this correct for Puppy 4.1.2? I was trying to install VMware Player 2.5.1, which requires compiling modules, and get a message saying that the header files are not correct, or something like that.

If the .sfs file does contain sources for 2.6.25.15, then where can I get the 2.6.25.16 source? If the file contains the 2.6.25.16 source, could the archive be renamed to reflect the correct version?

Thank you
Did you find an answer to this?

niksfish

#46 Post by niksfish »

Well i'm posting here because somewere it says that's here the place to post suggestions.

I wanted to install puppy normally in the hdd, like some windows or something else. I have tried a lot, but I couldn't make it boot from the bios.

I would like to see something more automatic, because puppy it's suposed to be an SO for easy use. I'm not noob, really I have tried but I couldn't configure Grub or lilo... Maybe it is my bios, but the wizard to install Puppy on the hard disk sucks. I would like to see something to install it directly (i dont know how is called) on that screen black with withe letters (or blue with white letters), with no graphical interface, like installing windows... Or a better wizard that make more things for you.

zvonik

bootmanager sfs /mnt/home broken in 412

#47 Post by zvonik »

First time puppy user on a Dell C600 laptop. Beats xubuntu hands down on this p3 700Mhz and 256M ram laptop.

I tried to install an sfs as instructed and use bootmanager to select it and it didn't work. Multiple posts suggest that this is broken in 412 (I can provide links if needed). Downloading devx_412.sfs to /mnt/home (and also seen at /) in a hard drive install (full?) didn't get seen by menu->system->bootmanager at all. But in a terminal, if I cd to /mnt/home and type bootmanager, presto now it's found (by the upper-right selection) so bootmanager from the menu appears to start in the wrong directory. Now I have an entry in /etc/rc.d/BOOTLOG for this sfs and I reboot and ... nothing. No gcc found. So it's still not being mounted at boot.

Also, bootmanager from the command line spits out this:
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: line 85: cd: /initrd/: No such file or directory

and I get 412# as puppyversion. Is the hash at the end correct?
# cat /etc/puppyversion
412#

I've looked through the bootmanager script but it's too complicated for me. I hope this can be fixed in 4.2 and this should be a priority as some of the fun of puppy is in the sfs mounts.

vtpup

#48 Post by vtpup »

@zvonik -- I have a frugal install, but I believe the Bootmanager cannot be used to add an sfs to a full hard drive installation.

There are other methods of adding the contents of an sfs to full installs. Do some more searching on these forums -- I believe Artie's thread talks about methods of doing it, along with a lot of other good advice for new users.

Pizzasgood

#49 Post by Pizzasgood »

For a full-hd install:

Click the .sfs file. That will cause Puppy to mount it and open a window with the contents. Open a terminal there by either right-clicking and going to "Window -> Terminal Here", OR by pressing the back-quote key.

In the terminal, type this and press enter:

Code: Select all

cp -a * /
When it finishes copying the files, you can close the terminal, click the .sfs again to umount it, and carry on. At this point the actual .sfs file is no longer needed.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

zvonik

#50 Post by zvonik »

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. I found nothing in the manual or any other documentation that this shouldn't work with a hard drive install. I did find many posts from people with the same problem. And I did find the post about mounting the sfs and copying out the contents but that seemed like such an undocumented kluge in an otherwise elegant environment.

It would be nice to have a built-in sfs installer. Download an sfs, click on it in a file manager and it installs. Whether it installs to /mnt/home and uses the bootmanager behind the scenes or does a mount and copy, the user shouldn't have to know the details. The next release would be a nice place to start doing this.