Yowza, y'all, I'm back, another strange question...

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
TheProphet

Yowza, y'all, I'm back, another strange question...

#1 Post by TheProphet »

See, I've got Knoppix 5.1 installed on one partitition.

Windows 95 for some really Socially Retarded games and...

PuppyCE with OpenOffice.

What I'd like to do is install, using the puppy equivalent of rpm -i --root=/dev/xxx2, then reboot into the Knoppix installation and Presto Magicko the thing actually works.

That's what I'd LIKE to do. Hey, it works between RedHat and SuSe with the .rpm packages.

Some of the methods I thought of seem kind of klunky-kludgy, like mounting the root of the Knoppix installation onto ??? directory in the Puppy file tree.

Another Idea that's proving to be more time consuming is to get all the .deb packages I can off the net and burn them to CDs, thus having all the dependencies right at hand when I go to install, say, the latest whizz-bang video editor or whatever.

Without the Installer giving me the Failed Dependency message that makes me scream so loud the neighbors would call the cops.

It's more mind-wrenchingly painful than The Blue Screen Of Death

OK maybe not that bad... but pretty bad...

What sounds like a more elegant way would be, you know, just use the dotpup installer IN the Knoppix installation.

There's a few apps that work better in the BloatWare environment.

So, can it actually be done, has it actually been done and ... HOW?
He who skydive without parachute, jumps to own conclusion.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Well if it helps .pet can be renamed to .tgz and unpacked with say xarchive..
.pup can be ranamed .zip and extracted comme ca...inside is usually a .tgz .

Then pop into the file system .... that's how I install in puppy and other distros I fiddle with anyway and then run from command line or use ldd to sort out dependancies.

All has to be done whilst singing the 'Bodge and Tart' song

regards

mike