How to set screen refresh rate in Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
arshadparvez

How to set screen refresh rate in Puppy?

#1 Post by arshadparvez »

Hello,

I have recently installed puppy. As Xvesa couldnt give me desired refresh rate, I installed Xfbdev video wizard.

Problems:
1. I installed modules_fb-k2.4.29 successfully. However, after downloading, and while installing xfbdev-4.3.0v2-xkbd, my pc stopped responding - no mouse/keyboard input. I exited X and when tried to restart, it didn't. I had to reboot. I reinstalled couple of times but couldn't without a system hang.
2. After rebooting, I tried to run Xfbdev wizard, after showing the first screen (where I pressed Yes to run the wizard), the system sutdown/rebooted, but wizard didn't run even after rebooting. I tried again but with same results. Still XVesa is running with lots of flicker.

Please help. Are there some files that can be manually edited to put things right?

Arshad

MU

#2 Post by MU »

There are some problems with the fbdev-wizard, but I can't tell you details.

I would suggest to Download Puppy 107alpha.
Though it is alpha, is works for several people and solved their grafics-problems.

Puppy 107 comes with the x.org -Xserver, that has far better support for graficscards, and also supports high refreshrates.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewforum.php?f=9

If for any reason you insist on trying fbdev, you might try this:
It explains how to set it up manually:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4082

But I will give no more support to that, and will mark that thread as "depreciated" when Puppy 107 final comes out.

Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

yes, I guess that now Xorg is in the base Puppy, all our other efforts are deprecated.

Note to myself:
There is one thing that I haven't considered in the Xorg Video Wizard, and that is the vesa module. I presume that it is just like the other video-chip modules, uses xorg.conf, and I presume has adjustable refresh frequency?
...Xorg's vesa could be another fallback option offered by the Wizard.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

BarryK wrote: There is one thing that I haven't considered in the Xorg Video Wizard, and that is the vesa module. I presume that it is just like the other video-chip modules, uses xorg.conf, and I presume has adjustable refresh frequency?
Yes, I used it the same way as the sis-module.
I could not try the refreshrate, as I have a TFT-Monitor, but that should work, too.

I can simply switch vesa and sis by changing one line:
Driver "sis"
#Driver "vesa"

Mark

arshadparvez

Puppy 107 alpha

#5 Post by arshadparvez »

Thanks, but where is Puppy 107 alpha ? Can u plz give me a link

MU

#6 Post by MU »