SOLVED: Mouse loss on boot -- fatal error

Booting, installing, newbie
vtpup

SOLVED: Mouse loss on boot -- fatal error

#1 Post by vtpup »

Pup 4.1.1 retro:

I can't seem to fix this -- without a mouse I can't get the mouse working.

Here's the problem:

Started computer up once without mouse and through the mouse/keyboard wizard got stuck in the serial (COM type, not USB) section. I didn't know how to get out, so accepted the entry in order to continue the boot.

Now when I boot, the actual mouse (optical -- USB -- or PS2 w/adapter) will get recognized at first as the boot proceeds, but later in the boot Puppy will try to load the serial module as a user request, it throws a fatal error there, and mouse use is disabled. Then X starts and I can't do anything.

If I drop to command line and run xorgwizard, I only get to pick the screen resolution -- not the mouse or keyboard. Then xwin just starts things up without mouse support again.

Is there a way to start the mouse wizard from command-line?

Or stop the loading of the serial mouse module form command line?

Then I could get to the BootManager -- if I only had a mouse......
Last edited by vtpup on Mon 01 Dec 2008, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

If you start the xorgwizard a certain moment there is a test button.
Push it and you can get at the mouse configuration.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Fossil

#3 Post by Fossil »

Alternatively, once you are at the desktop, try pressing F12. 'If' you are lucky the Menu will pop up. Use the left/right, up/down keys to navigate to 'Setup', 'Mouse-Keyboard' Wizard. Reset the mouse configuration, then Tab out through the boxed elements. Finally, select 'Okay'. Try the mouse!
Good Luck.

vtpup

#4 Post by vtpup »

Beem you were absolutely right, though I didn't believe it, since I'd tried half a dozen times before.

But it's not obvious.

For the benefit of others who may also get stuck:

From command line:

Code: Select all

Xorgwizard
You will be presented with a choice Xorg and Xvesa

Choose xorg

You will be presented with resolutions to choose.

Choose your resolution and accept..

You will be presented with number of colors at that resolution.

choose it, but DON'T hit Accept, or you will finish the wizard and go back to the command line, (This is what I kept doing,)

There are actually three buttons at the bottom of the screen -- the middle one is labeled Test and it is supposed to test the Xorg resolutions, But it does one more thing, also, not mentioned.

Hit that button, and you will come to another screen that has on the right side a Change Mouse button. That's the one that does the trick.

Thanks Beem!

vtpup

#5 Post by vtpup »

Alternatively, once you are at the desktop, try pressing F12. 'If' you are lucky the Menu will pop up. Use the left/right, up/down keys to navigate to 'Setup', 'Mouse-Keyboard' Wizard. Reset the mouse configuration, then Tab out through the boxed elements. Finally, select 'Okay'. Try the mouse!
Good Luck.
Thanks Fossil, this works as well -- just tried it.

I was wondering earlier if there was a way to navigate the desktop without a mouse -- F12 seems to be it. I had tried CTRL M (for Menu), ALT M, etc, but didn't realize the function keys were used for this. Is there a list of function keys for the desktop?

Also one other question about the wizard. --

Are there keystrokes for going back one screen?

I often find myself stuck in the wizard, without knowing how to back to a previous screen to change something I had entered wrong.

The wizard looks very much like the old Debian setup installer. I can't remember how you navigated that, but it did have command keys for moving back and forth. These were usually referenced at the bottom of the screen, so you didn't have to know the installer in advance.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

Glad you could get it working and thanks for marking the thread as solved.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

glassparrot

#7 Post by glassparrot »

And thanks for your detailed explanation of the way forward you found, too, vtpup! That really helps newbies who are searching the forum and looking for answers.

Fossil

#8 Post by Fossil »

Glad that F12 worked for you.
Alt-F1 also brings up the menu on my standard PS-2 desktop keyboard. This might be of reference for someone else.
WIth regard other (specific) keystrokes, sorry, I hardly use them.