How to Get Samba Server Working in Puppy 4

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jrb

#16 Post by jrb »

I have incorportated Vtpups great setup tips into ch-samba-3.0.26.sfs available here.

Should work on any puppy4.xx. It shares / (everything) at when samba is started. I put a samba controls entry on the network menu which opens a gui for starting, stopping, restarting and editing smb.conf.

Cheers, J

Dougal

#17 Post by Dougal »

Just a little comment: the rc.samba file should go in /etc/init.d. That way there is no need to start it from rc.local (it will be started automatically by rc.services).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Cthippo

#18 Post by Cthippo »

6.) Once you have created and edited your samba configuration file, you may want to add Samba users and passwords (they should be the same as on your Windows boxes, if you have them). Note -- even though Puppy operates from the Root user, you can still add Samba users with a simple:

Code: Select all

smbpasswd -a george
I was doing reasonably well up to this point, but when I tried to set up a user I got this:

# smbpasswd -a Chris
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to modify password entry for user Chris
What am I missing here?

[/code]

whatshisname

#19 Post by whatshisname »

Cthippo wrote:6.) Once you have created and edited your samba configuration file, you may want to add Samba users and passwords (they should be the same as on your Windows boxes, if you have them). Note -- even though Puppy operates from the Root user, you can still add Samba users with a simple:

smbpasswd -a george
I was doing reasonably well up to this point, but when I tried to set up a user I got this:

# smbpasswd -a Chris
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to modify password entry for user Chris
What am I missing here?

[/code]
Just finished doing this on my machine.

According to the man file, the user must already be in "/etc/passwd". Before I found the instructions above for smbpasswd, I had tried adding my samba user to the system but my login failed. Read a little further and found the instructions for adding the user using smbpasswd and I was able to log in just fine.

So ...

Add a regular user to your system with: adduser sambausername

Then try adding your user again with smbpasswd.

Hope this helps.

ecomoney

#20 Post by ecomoney »

Ive been banging my head against this for the last four hours!!! I think this is a great case for a package that "just works". :D

Anyway, once I get this working I would be willing to put in the time to make a new package with all of the required extra libraries (gtk+ etc) and the config files for puppy 4. This would be particularly useful for people Linuxing the many viruzed XP machines that will no longer start, as they could liveboot puppy and transfer the users files off before (hopefully) installing linux!!! :D

Heres where I am so far...

Ive installed the samba package from here

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 3.0.26.pet

and made the modifications to the /etc/profile script, and created the /etc/rc.d/rc.samba script. This starts/stops/restarts the samba process as I can see using "top" or pprocess.

My problem I think stems from the smb.conf file. If I had the COMPLETE file than perhaps I could be sure. Ive tried various example scripts from the web but they would be unintelligeable without several days study. What would be great is a generic, low security, smb.conf where I could simply enter in the path of the folder I wanted to share, and what it would be advertised as over the network when detected with pnethood.

Perhaps JRB, the full config file is in the samba .sfs you made for choicepup? Would extracting this file to my standard puppy 4.2.1 setup make it "just work"? Hopefully so! :roll:
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

growler

Samba shares

#21 Post by growler »

It wasn't quite clear from your post - you may know already but - you can connect already to XP machines and take files off windows machines etc without having samba server installed. You need to create shares on the windows machine then connect from puppy using pnethood. samba client is already on puppy

You only need samba if you wish to create windows "shares" on puppy - i.e. get files back off puppy onto the XP machines etc. or copy from the XP machines to puppy.

disciple

#22 Post by disciple »

Personally I never found GTKSamba particularly helpful, so I really don't see the point in packaging it and gtk1.2 up with a samba server package.
ecomoney wrote:What would be great is a generic, low security, smb.conf where I could simply enter in the path of the folder I wanted to share, and what it would be advertised as over the network when detected with pnethood.
If you really want low security, just grab my whole smb.conf from my howto thread, put in the workgroup and netbiosname you want, and the name and path of the shares, and it should work fine.
It would be trivial to write a wizard to build a simple smb.conf like that if you really felt like it.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER