Trying to compile Twinkle

Using applications, configuring, problems
dinky

Trying to compile Twinkle

#1 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, am attempting to compile the latest version of Twinkle that came out a few days ago... as much to learn how to do it as actually wanting to use the program. There are everal dependencies that need to be met, among them commoncpp2-1.6.1 and ccrtp-1.6.0. regardless of whether these exist in Puppy anywhere as pets, I'm trying to compile them. ccrtp needs commoncpp to install, so I compiled commoncpp first. No problem there at all. The issue is with ccrtp... I can't get past the compile without this error:

Code: Select all

checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for COMMON... configure: error: Package requirements (libccgnu2 >= 1.3.0) were not met:

No package 'libccgnu2' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables COMMON_CFLAGS
and COMMON_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
I'm stuck. the libccgnu2 library it's looking for is located in /usr/local/lib, and was installed as part of the commoncpp package. I've tried setting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable with

#PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/libccgnu2.so:/usr/bin/pkg-config   
#export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
#ldconfig
&

#PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/bin/pkg-config:/usr/local/lib/libccgnu2.so
#export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
#ldconfig
I'm truly stuck. There doesn't seem to be any good guides that are easy to find that explain compiling for beginners.... I suppose I'm not quite a beginner at Linux, but as far as compiling I'm a noob. Can someone tell me what to do next? Cheers.
~dinky

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D
Hello Dinky,
Have you added /usr/local/lib to /ect/ld.so.conf...??
Maybe try compiling with Prefix=usr......IDK, Im a newbie...LOL
Last edited by puppyluvr on Fri 27 Feb 2009, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

dinky

#3 Post by dinky »

Thanks for the advice. /usr/local/bin to /ect/ld.so.conf didn't work, but nice try... I ran ldconfig after updating it. Anyone else?

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

You can usually get around these errors by symlinking the relevant libraries to /usr/lib or, as suggested by puppyluvr, add /usr/local/lib to ld.so.conf...but it's a lot simpler if you just compile with:

./configure --without-kde --prefix=/usr
I've just downloaded twinkle-1.4.2, and I'm having probs with it not seeing my qt3...I guess I'm missing something or other....I tried:

export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt

but no luck as yet...will fiddle around a bit more tonight.

puppyluvr

#5 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Well, heck, was worth a shot..
I`m up against a similar wall trying to configure Phatch..
Wxpython dont want to cooperate..
Compiled and installed it...Phatch says its not there...
Similar error concerning LD_LIBRARY_PATH....
HMMMMM...

@Maybe Ttuuxxx will pop in with the usual "here you go" ..LOL
Its called Phatch...I mean Twinkle...LOL

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

@dinky,

Also, have you installed/compiled boost? Someone posted a .pet in the additional software section and, as far as I can tell, twinkle's configuration file is working with it.

dinky

#7 Post by dinky »

Hi guys, thanks for your advice. Actually, I haven't tried compiling Twinkle yet, still working on it's dependencies. I grabbed the boost .deb file, and plan to undeb that and install the binaries. I'm still keen to try and get these dependencies sorted, as I get stuck in the same place pretty much each time. There MUST be a simple way to do this... simple once you know what it is. I don't want a magic pet package all sorted... I want to learn how to do this for myself. The version of twinkle I've got (found on these forums) works fine, I'm just trying to create this a a learning experience, and again for an updated version for the kennels.

Those libs I've been mentioning, are they specific to kde? Not that that will effect this project, I still want to work my way through them, as that's where I'm stuck. Cheers.

~dinky

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

The twinkle site has links to all the required libraries and, since they all compile easily & quite fast, the simplest thing to do is download the latest versions of these libraries, extract them, then:

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
new2dir make install
Then for twinkle itself:

./configure --without-kde --prefix=/usr
make
new2dir make install

dinky

#9 Post by dinky »

:cry: Should is great in computers. The issue I'm having is with the second dependancy of twinkle, as per my posts above... for whatever reason, it is NOT compiling easily or quickly. Thanks for your advice, but I've tried that muggins and it didn't work.
~dinky

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

Did you add /usr/local/lib to ld.so.conf? I notice above that you say you tried adding /usr/local/bin!

Have you tried compiling with the flag --prefix=/usr?

If you're still unable to get these libraries to compile, if you want, I can package them up for you.

cheers

dinky

#11 Post by dinky »

It was /usr/local/lib. Tried prefix=/usr. No success. Would love it if you could compile ccrtp-1.6.0 for me that would be great, but could you also please include HOW you did it, step by step? I want to learn this, and be able to do it for myself. I must be missing something really basic, so please just assume I'm a complete idiot in your instructions. Thanks muggins.

~dinky

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

@dinky,

sorry for taking so long to get back to this, but I got distracted by other things. Anyway, I went back to p216 to compile it, and have just uploaded to AdditionalSoftware section.

cheers