Boxpup 4.1.2 released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Astra

Boxpup4.1.2

#91 Post by Astra »

Wow

Looks great and not just with the for such a small size distinction

However

I have downloaded the Boxup 4.1.2 to CD and am using it in my newish laptop but have tried on my home PC and it does not seem to want to run (doesnt load and goes to kernal panic and fails to syncronise kernals).
I have run Puppy 4.1.2 on this machine but only the retro version

Is there a retro version of Boxpup or can someone tell me how to use on the older machine
By the way this is a Pentium 3 1000 with 750 M RAM

Many thanks

Great Pup

T_Hobbit

Re: Boxpup4.1.2

#92 Post by T_Hobbit »

Astra wrote: By the way this is a Pentium 3 1000 with 750 M RAM
I thing I had ran Boxpup412 @ Pentium 3 500 with 256 M RAM without any kind of problem... will try again!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

Steve_Barker

#93 Post by Steve_Barker »

I have been using Boxpup for a couple of weeks and think it is great. Think this live CD will see me through to Opera 10 being released.

Many Thanks for a great pup.

Sage

#94 Post by Sage »

Might as well run Opera 10alpha - it is excellent and seems to be extremely stable and fully featured for normal use. Shame that we have to suffer without it in the standard versions of Puppy/Woof!

wosifat

#95 Post by wosifat »

Latest:
Got Wifi working on my laptop in Boxpup and in Windows (couple chats with Verizon DSL Support.)
Have the battery percentage showing at the bottom of the screen in Conky so that when I'm surfing the web, I can look down and see how much I have left. I still get caught off guard sometimes, though, and had the notebook shut down on me. Are there any programs to give a low battery warning and shutdown like Windows does?
Also, with the battery percentage and time at the bottom of Conky, the CPU meter squeezes down. Any way to get it bigger besides removing its roommates?
There are programs in Boxpup that I don't use and are taking up space. Not much space, mind, but still. I prefer Geany to Leafpad, and some video files won't play properly in Xine, so I mainly use VLC as my media player. I saw somewhere that Pup-B-Gone won't work in Openbox. Any other way to trim the programs?
Back to Conky, and speaking of VLC, I've seen where people have had Conky display the currently playing track (not in VLC yet though, I don't believe) and the weather. Anyone know how to do this?
One of the reasons I do with my laptop is to use it with my camera (a Canon Powershot S3IS.) I've tried downloading the programs that come with the standard Puppy for use with digital cameras, but they seem to work only once, and then crash when you try to use them again. And my camera won't just show up as a portable drive when I hook it up like I've heard of some cameras doing. Anyone have any suggestions for this, and any other suggested photo organization programs. I don't do much editing, but I have the GIMP for what I would do.
Other than that, enjoying Puppy and Boxpup. Thanks again to Grey, Barry, and all others involved.

mechmike

Thanks, Gray, et al!

#96 Post by mechmike »

I have put together what I will refer to in the American vernacular as a "ghetto iMac"...

This is an eMachines eOne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EOne) running Boxpup. It works quite nicely!

Another ten-year-old relic resurrected by Puppy!

rfrye7533

BoxPup fails full hd install

#97 Post by rfrye7533 »

Hello.

Not really a noob. Had a problem installing BoxPup 4.1.2 as full hd installation. The universal installer exits prematurely. Here are teh last few lines of output from the universal installer:

Code: Select all

Copying initrd.gz...
Copying .sfs files...
cp: cannot stat `/mnt/sr0/zdrv_*.sfs': No such file or directory
Finished, press ENTER to continue 
I went looking for the file. Here's the listing of the install CD

Code: Select all

total 93838
-r--r--r-- 1 root root     2048 2008-12-17 21:04 boot.cat
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     1087 2008-12-17 20:59 boot.msg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1290622 2008-12-17 20:59 initrd.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    12241 2008-12-17 20:59 isolinux.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      123 2008-12-17 20:59 isolinux.cfg
-rwx------ 1 root root 93155328 2008-12-17 21:04 pup_412.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1627180 2008-12-17 20:59 vmlinuz
My guess is that there should be a zdrv_412.sfs listed here, but the live cd runs just fine. I went to ibiblio.org to check for the file and none was available in the sfs files directory.

Help.

Ray

wosifat

#98 Post by wosifat »

Don't know if this is just Boxpup or Puppy or what, but...
When I have my laptop in my room, I plug the sound into my stereo so I don't have to deal with the crappy laptop speakers. But if I have it hooked up to the stereo and then unhook it, I have no sound. If I hook it back up, the sound comes through again. Anyone?

UPDATE: Nevermind, it's a problem with my laptop. Did it in Windows, too. Still, anyone have any suggestions?
Last edited by wosifat on Wed 25 Feb 2009, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

rfrye7533

#99 Post by rfrye7533 »

My guess is that there should be a zdrv_412.sfs listed here, but the live cd runs just fine. I went to ibiblio.org to check for the file and none was available in the sfs files directory.
I was able to do a workaround.

I copied zdrv_400.sfs from an old puppy 4.0 iso and renamed it zdrv_412.sfs. Then I remastered the live cd. I was then able to do a full hd installaiton.

I am willing to upload the iso image so others can use it.

Ray

37fleetwood

#100 Post by 37fleetwood »

Ok, I really like the look of Boxpup, but...
I'm wontering what the benefits of Open Box are. I can delete the task bar from almost any of the other Wm's and it will look like Open Box. what gives? just for kicks, I did just that in wNOP and added Cairo Dock and used the task bar minus the menu button for displaying open programs and it looked great, and had Compiz running, and was as easy to use as Xfce, with Thunar, and a relatively similar size as the regular NOP releases. so Why Open Box?
this isn't a complaint, as I love it's super clean interface, just wondering as a newbie if I'm missing something.
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

showdownmetal

#101 Post by showdownmetal »

i cant seem to find the conky config files... i changed the background and i cant really see the white... and is there a way to add icons to the dock at the top of the screen? any help is much appreciated!

T_Hobbit

#102 Post by T_Hobbit »

Boxpup looks great on Acer Aspire One!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

redandwhitestripes

#103 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't see it:

How can the on-screen clock and calender be safely removed?

Thanks for a great distro!
Greg

Q5sys

2 things...

#104 Post by Q5sys »

JustGreg wrote:How does one remve the analog clock from the desktop? (Answer! To remove one needs to edit .xinitrc and comment out the line 125 that has xonclock)

How does one move the calendar from out of the tree branches? (For completeness, Gray told me to where to look. Answer! One needs to edit /etc/conky/rc_cal lines 56 and 57 to move the calendar. Line 56 has gap_x varialble, increasing the value moves the calendar to the left. Line 57 has gap_y varialble, increasing the value moves the calendar down towards the bottom. I settled with gap_y 520.)
1st thing. With the clock. this .xinitrc file... where is it? Ive tried to find it but I cant. For the calander you've kindly given us a directory. Can you give me one for the clock. And while im at it. You explain how to move the calander around the desktop, is there a way to remove it all together?
[UPDATE: I just changed the gap_y to something large enough to no longer show on my screen. While this makes it non visable, its still running. Anyway to turn it off?] [I did find a xinitrc file in /etc/xdg/xfce4/ But... there is nothing about xonclock anywhere in it. Is there somewhere else I need to look?]

2nd thing. I love conky, but i've seen other puppy releases with it looking something like this: http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/albums/use ... KrellM.jpg
How can we go about modifing Conky? I did a search online but all i found was a site with some ubuntu scripts. I just prefer a taller more narrow conky.
[UPDATE: I found some conky scripts on another site, and I have a few I want to try out, but i cant seem to get them to work. I tried just replacing the files i have with the new ones, but that didnt seem to work; any advice?]
Any help would be appreciated.
Ive tried to use other puplets but this one just keeps bringing me back. Its got everythind I need. Thanks!

37fleetwood

#105 Post by 37fleetwood »

well, I was playing with Boxpup again and found the perfect wallpaper.
can the color of the tint bar be changed to a nice light sage green or something?
and no one ever answered my question, is there an advantage to Open Box over some of the others? I have a small computer that I haven't played with yet, and am wondering which Puplet to use. anyway here's the new screenshot (actually I'm using the earlier version of Boxpup)
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

Q5sys

#106 Post by Q5sys »

37fleetwood wrote:well, I was playing with Boxpup again and found the perfect wallpaper.
Thats great, do you have a link available for that wallpaper? Id love to add it to my collection that I sample from.

37fleetwood

#107 Post by 37fleetwood »

I couldn't remember where I found this little guy but a search found these, the one I originally found was much larger. let me know if you want the big one, I'll keep looking.:
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

Q5sys

#108 Post by Q5sys »

37fleetwood wrote:I couldn't remember where I found this little guy but a search found these, the one I originally found was much larger. let me know if you want the big one, I'll keep looking.:
Yea if you could find a larger one that'd be great. You dont need to post it here, just post the link and I'll nab it that way. Any idea on possible titles for the file? I'm willing to spend lots of time on images.google, but I have no idea what to use for my query.

37fleetwood

#109 Post by 37fleetwood »

Ok, I found the jackpot! his name is Danbo, all you have to do is google him. I thought he was cute for Boxpup being a box boy and all. :lol:
Scott 8) [/b][/color]

redandwhitestripes

#110 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Let me add my name to the list of grateful users.

Just one question - How can I remove the clock and calendar from the screen?