Boxpup 4.1.2 released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gray

conky

#76 Post by gray »

Try /etc/conky. Depending on your choice of panel you want to edit rc_right (lxpanel) or tin_rc_right (tint).

37fleetwood

Re: How do I add icons or menu items to the desktop?

#77 Post by 37fleetwood »

Terryphi wrote:I am very impressed with Boxpup and have added some programs running on wine. Everything works fine from the command line but I would like to create desktop icons or menu entries for them. I have tried to send the executables to the desktop but it appears to be locked. Does it come that way by default? If so, how do I unlock it?

Later: I have now edited /root/.wbar so I have that sorted. :) I have also replaced the Internet icon with Opera icon. A copy is attached below for anyone who wants it. Copy it into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps and amend the entry for "Internet" to point to it.

However, I would still like to know how to edit the right-click menu on the desktop for additional applications I don't want to include in wbar. How do manual additions affect the "refresh menu" option?
I noticed that you were asking about putting Icons on the desktop and I thought it was mentioned earlier in the thread but it was actually in the original Boxpup thread, Open box doesn't support desktop icons or have a taskbar on it's own. I suppose for someone with limited resources a Puplet with openbox without the docks would be a little bit smaller and quicker but Boxpup is so beautiful it would need to be a separate project. you might like to read the original thread for the original boxpup so I found it and coppied the link for you :)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 70&t=32792
as far as editing anything to add icons to the start menu or wbar I can't help
Scott 8)
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

plankenstein

may have found the one

#78 Post by plankenstein »

just loaded boxpup and i'm loving it so far. :D really like the openbox desktop and opera. one quick question. i'm still a big time newb and this is my first post so forgive any ignorance i might show, but will the open office sfs that pudgypup uses work on boxpup? if that will go and i can get my printer to work then i might get the wife and kids to let me trash the doze and nuke the cd YEAH!
I carefully plan ALL my random acts! :lol:

Bad_Linhat

#79 Post by Bad_Linhat »

Hi to all,
I find the new Boxpup superb, but I have a problem.
Anyone can suggest me a good audio cd player ?
With Xine, when I play an audio cd, I got several "jump" on the sound reproduction.
It happens at regular intervals making impossible to listen a song...
Another question: is possible install Thunar-volman ?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.
BR

plankenstein

open office 3

#80 Post by plankenstein »

WOOHOO!!! Got OpenOffice3.sfs loaded and working. :D Now just got to get my canon pixma ip2600 working and I'll really be a happy camper. Anybody know anything about using turboprint in puppy? Seems like I saw something about it in another post somewhere. But, looking at their sight I'm not sure if I would need the rpm, deb, or tar gz package. Managed to get this printer to work in ubuntu, before I discovered this wonder distro. Maybe I could just drag the ppd file out of the hdd that was on and try to stuff it into the cups if someone could tell me where to stick it. :shock: Be nice now!

Anyway, enough rambling! Puppy is one Amazing distro, and boxpup is an absolute thing of beauty. Thanks so much for all the fine work you all do! And with a little time and patience, maybe I can give back and contribute a little to this wonderful community in the future.

johnmd

canon pixma printing

#81 Post by johnmd »

Hi Plankenstein
not sure you need anything extra - i got my new canon pixma mp 190 to work straight off with the cups version already in Box Pup 410 (but i have BP as full install on hard drive) - make sure your printer is switched on when you click on the <do you want to add a new printer -YES> option and then cups recognises there is a usb-printer-canon on the system (shows up in the drop down list) and then i just had to choose the canon pixma mp 150 driver from the next drop down list and it worked fine - only needed to reset from default <letter> to <A4> in the <configure printer> section and it's fine - oh and set printer as default. Hope it works for you too. best wishes, John

wosifat

#82 Post by wosifat »

Me again. Sorry.
I went throught the network wizard to get wifi working. It saw the connection and said it was working, but my web browser can't get on the internet and the internet activity in the bars in Conky are flatlines. Anyone?
If it helps, Dell Inspiron 1300. Celeron 1.5G, 512MB RAM, intergrated wifi.
Oh yeah, I added lines to Conky for battery percentage, time, and a meter of the battery, but all the meter shows is a line, not a gauge like, say, the membars.

smokey01

Re: canon pixma printing

#83 Post by smokey01 »

johnmd wrote:Hi Plankenstein
not sure you need anything extra - i got my new canon pixma mp 190 to work straight off with the cups version already in Box Pup 410 (but i have BP as full install on hard drive) - make sure your printer is switched on when you click on the <do you want to add a new printer -YES> option and then cups recognises there is a usb-printer-canon on the system (shows up in the drop down list) and then i just had to choose the canon pixma mp 150 driver from the next drop down list and it worked fine - only needed to reset from default <letter> to <A4> in the <configure printer> section and it's fine - oh and set printer as default. Hope it works for you too. best wishes, John
Hi johnmd.

My friend has a canon pixma mp190 but is having problems getting it to work. This is using Puppy 4.1.2 Retro not boxpup 4.1.2. Is boxpup based on Retro or normal Puppy?

I think the cups in puppy and boxpup would be the same.

cups sees the printer and the drivers appear to be loaded it just doesn't print.

Another thing, does the scanning and copy function work?

Thanks

Grant

smokey01

#84 Post by smokey01 »

Grey,

Is BoxPup based on the 2.5.25.16 kernel rather than the older 2.6.21.7 version?

Unfortunately for some reason my computer hangs with the later kernel. I have discussed this a number of times on the forums but to date no one has been able to offer a solution.

If you have any ideas to fix my problem I would be very grateful as I really like the look of BoxPup.

When I boot from a CD it gets to the stage where you choose your mouse type and the keyboard does not work. Prior to this the keyboard works fine

Thanks

Smokey

Uden

#85 Post by Uden »

wosifat wrote:I went throught the network wizard to get wifi working. It saw the connection and said it was working, but my web browser can't get on the internet and the internet activity in the bars in Conky are flatlines. Anyone?
Hi wosifat,
i have the same problem with my desktop. Have you found a solution?

The network wizard finds my wifi (wpa protected), connects and gets an ip address assigned. But the browser cannot connect to the internet.
With the same version of Boxpup and network wizard on my laptop, everything is working fine.

thanks,
Uden

(a newbie who tries to replace Windows on all home computers with this Linux distribution)

T_Hobbit

#86 Post by T_Hobbit »

I have the some problem.
Sometimes I need to repeat the process 2-3 times to "surf"...
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

Uden

#87 Post by Uden »

Uden wrote:The network wizard finds my wifi (wpa protected), connects and gets an ip address assigned. But the browser cannot connect to the internet.
With the same version of Boxpup and network wizard on my laptop, everything is working fine.
Solved, by setting the security check box from 'open' to 'restricted'. Somehow this setting is not needed on the laptop.

Uden

#88 Post by Uden »

I have a new question:
i have used Puppy package manager to install some additionale programs, like Bluefish and Firefox.

But Firefox does not start. And Bluefish complaints abot "Unable to open files: /root/%F". I also noticed that an installation sometimes does not show up in the menu (even after a reboot).

Do i need to make some manual adaptions of a configuration file to be able to use these?

37fleetwood

#89 Post by 37fleetwood »

hi, I wanted to ask a couple questions, please bear with me.
first, I have been playing with Puppy for a few years now and on my computer I'm not noticing that Open Box or Jwm is any faster than something like Xfce. is it only on a slower machine that I'll notice a speed difference?
this brings me to my next question, I am really enjoying Compiz Fusion and love the look of Boxpup. Compiz won't work with Open Box so is Tint available as a pet so I can install it in LXDE or Xfce?
thanks
Scott 8)
Last edited by 37fleetwood on Mon 09 Feb 2009, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

wosifat

#90 Post by wosifat »

Compiz won't work with Open Box
Oh, well. Was wanting to get rid of a few of Boxpup's standard programs that I don't use as much (Opera, Leafpad) and was maybe thinking of trying Compilz, but never mind now. Is it worth it to try Pet-B-Gone?

Astra

Boxpup4.1.2

#91 Post by Astra »

Wow

Looks great and not just with the for such a small size distinction

However

I have downloaded the Boxup 4.1.2 to CD and am using it in my newish laptop but have tried on my home PC and it does not seem to want to run (doesnt load and goes to kernal panic and fails to syncronise kernals).
I have run Puppy 4.1.2 on this machine but only the retro version

Is there a retro version of Boxpup or can someone tell me how to use on the older machine
By the way this is a Pentium 3 1000 with 750 M RAM

Many thanks

Great Pup

T_Hobbit

Re: Boxpup4.1.2

#92 Post by T_Hobbit »

Astra wrote: By the way this is a Pentium 3 1000 with 750 M RAM
I thing I had ran Boxpup412 @ Pentium 3 500 with 256 M RAM without any kind of problem... will try again!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

Steve_Barker

#93 Post by Steve_Barker »

I have been using Boxpup for a couple of weeks and think it is great. Think this live CD will see me through to Opera 10 being released.

Many Thanks for a great pup.

Sage

#94 Post by Sage »

Might as well run Opera 10alpha - it is excellent and seems to be extremely stable and fully featured for normal use. Shame that we have to suffer without it in the standard versions of Puppy/Woof!

wosifat

#95 Post by wosifat »

Latest:
Got Wifi working on my laptop in Boxpup and in Windows (couple chats with Verizon DSL Support.)
Have the battery percentage showing at the bottom of the screen in Conky so that when I'm surfing the web, I can look down and see how much I have left. I still get caught off guard sometimes, though, and had the notebook shut down on me. Are there any programs to give a low battery warning and shutdown like Windows does?
Also, with the battery percentage and time at the bottom of Conky, the CPU meter squeezes down. Any way to get it bigger besides removing its roommates?
There are programs in Boxpup that I don't use and are taking up space. Not much space, mind, but still. I prefer Geany to Leafpad, and some video files won't play properly in Xine, so I mainly use VLC as my media player. I saw somewhere that Pup-B-Gone won't work in Openbox. Any other way to trim the programs?
Back to Conky, and speaking of VLC, I've seen where people have had Conky display the currently playing track (not in VLC yet though, I don't believe) and the weather. Anyone know how to do this?
One of the reasons I do with my laptop is to use it with my camera (a Canon Powershot S3IS.) I've tried downloading the programs that come with the standard Puppy for use with digital cameras, but they seem to work only once, and then crash when you try to use them again. And my camera won't just show up as a portable drive when I hook it up like I've heard of some cameras doing. Anyone have any suggestions for this, and any other suggested photo organization programs. I don't do much editing, but I have the GIMP for what I would do.
Other than that, enjoying Puppy and Boxpup. Thanks again to Grey, Barry, and all others involved.