Boxpup 4.1.2 released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
wosifat

#46 Post by wosifat »

I installed the dotpup handler but cannot install any pups! I tried to open the pup with all the petget scripts but no joy so I had to change the pup to zip and extract and install it.
I still haven't gotten the dotpups for python to work, headfound. How does that change to zip and extract and install thing work? May be worth a shot for me.

eliza_a

can't download new box pup

#47 Post by eliza_a »

as others have pointed out http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/NOP/ has exceeded its limit

I get a 404 with http://puppylinux.igsobe.com/puppylinux/tpp/NOP/

is there another download site that I've missed?

thanks

jeepinpete

Wireless broken?

#48 Post by jeepinpete »

I managed to download Boxpup. Very nice to look at, and it looks promising to use. But wireless is not working in any shape or form. I've tried Puppy 4.0 & 4.1, both work out of the box. Boxpup is not showing a wlan0 or eth0, and when I try to load the drivers manually, it fails (bcm43xx). I was going to try to download it again, but run into the same issues mentioned above. Any ideas?

gray

Alternate download

#49 Post by gray »

Alternate download site:

http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop

Marv

BCM43xx wireless

#50 Post by Marv »

jeepinpete,

I'm running Boxpup 4.1.? on a Dell inspiron 4000 with a Buffalo PCMCIA wireless card with a Broadcom 43xx chip. After using ndiswrapper with this kit through maaaany pups, native support for the BCM43xx finally works reliably for me!

Booting either Boxpup 4.1.? or NOP 4.10/4.1.1 from original CD or ataflash installation, running the network wizard and scanning detects my WEP net connection correctly. Entering my WEP key (I prefix it with s: as I use an alphanumeric key), saving the profile, then choosing to use that profile brings up my wireless connection reliably, and it is done correctly on reboot.

If you scan from within the network wiz what do you see?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

37fleetwood

#51 Post by 37fleetwood »

Just when most people would tell you that Open Box was too small and simple and offered no eye candy you come up with this brilliant and modern looking Puplet! I like it, I like it alot! I still think the new Puppy should be modeled after either one of your Puplets. I was stunned with NOP and now I am amazed by Boxpup, I guess that leaves me stunned and amazed? :shock:
Scott 8)

myman_05

Lock Screen didn't ask key

#52 Post by myman_05 »

delete the .xlockrc still have the problem.

:lol: the most beutiful and fast puplet

Jim1911

#53 Post by Jim1911 »

I really like your Boxpup derivative with it's clean, modern interface and it works great on my Dell 8250.

One problem (solved), my preferred e-mail application is thunderbird and to install it you have to add libstdc++.so.5 to /usr/lib which is normally included in other distributions.

Thanks again,
Jim

T_Hobbit

#54 Post by T_Hobbit »

Upgraded to 4.1.?
But I forgot to save the vortex background... Can anyone send me that background?

Thanks
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

myman_05

#55 Post by myman_05 »

Jim1911 wrote:I really like your Boxpup derivative with it's clean, modern interface and it works great on my Dell 8250.

One problem (solved), my preferred e-mail application is thunderbird and to install it you have to add libstdc++.so.5 to /usr/lib which is normally included in other distributions.

Thanks again,
Jim
Hello Jim 1911. May I know how you add libstdc++.so.5? portabase also neeb this lib.

Thanks

jeepinpete

#56 Post by jeepinpete »

Marv, the problem is there is nothing to scan in Network Manager. In other derivatives of Puppy, my wireless shows up as eth0, and the ethernet port shows as eth1. Regular Puppy 4.0 and 4.1 both show both ports this way. Boxpup only shows my ethernet port as eth0. When I go into Network Manager and try to load the BCM43xx module, it still doesn't see the hardware. I've tried using the wrapper, with the same negative result. I'm downloading Boxpup again from the new link, hopefully something got hosed on the first download.

Pete

DaveS

#57 Post by DaveS »

May I know how you add libstdc++.so.5? portabase also neeb this lib.

Thanks
This is easy, but not dead straightforward. First, you need to add the lib file libstdc++.so.5.0.6 to directory /usr/lib/
You may already have it, so check first, but if not I have attached a zipped version for you. Just un-archive it and drop it in to /usr/lib/
When you have done that, you must create a symlink, also in /usr/lib/ to this file, then re-name the symlink to libstdc++.so.5
After that, it will all work just fine.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

myman_05

#58 Post by myman_05 »

DaveS wrote: This is easy, but not dead straightforward. First, you need to add the lib file libstdc++.so.5.0.6 to directory /usr/lib/
You may already have it, so check first, but if not I have attached a zipped version for you. Just un-archive it and drop it in to /usr/lib/
When you have done that, you must create a symlink, also in /usr/lib/ to this file, then re-name the symlink to libstdc++.so.5
After that, it will all work just fine.
:D Thanks. Not so easy for me but finally it's work.

gray

Update to 4.1.2

#59 Post by gray »

Boxpup has been updated to 4.1.2 standard (bug fixes as per Barry's blog).
Also updated Opera version to 9.63 and Abiword to 2.6.4

Merry Christmas

Sage

#60 Post by Sage »

Two for the price of one, today - who's been a busy boy, then.
Many thanks, g. Should keep me quiet for a few days...

Update: oh boy, you really have excelled yourself with this one, g. With Opera, this is difficult to beat and obviates the need to revert to vanilla P.

magerlab

#61 Post by magerlab »

very nice to have an update to my favorite pupplet
also i want to thank gray for xfce4 pet and updates of opera

is there a way to increase font of hdbar?
it always resets to 6 inspite of my settings....

gray

hotbar font size

#62 Post by gray »

Magerlab, if you look in /etc/hotbar folder there is a script called restart_bar.
The font size is set in that.

magerlab

#63 Post by magerlab »

Ok, i 'll look at that script

gray

oops

#64 Post by gray »

Sorry Magerlab, wrong script :oops:

The font is set in pup_event_frontend_d which is in the /sbin folder

In function add_desktopfile_func at line 73

:oops:

T_Hobbit

#65 Post by T_Hobbit »

How can we prevent Opera (or any other program) to cover wbar/lxpanel/tint/drive icons on Maximize?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?: