pWidgets 2.5.8

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
zigbert

#3151 Post by zigbert »

666philb
Thank for the feedback

zigbert

#3152 Post by zigbert »

Version 2.5.8
See main post

Changelog
Bugfix: show widgets at startup (thanks to tlchost)

tlchost

#3153 Post by tlchost »

Moat wrote:F

- below is attached a mildly-tweaked version of the original Weather Station locale-setting plugin, that should work for it. Just extract the 'Weather_Station_Forecast' folder to the '/usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/plugins' directory...
Tried it with 258 and Tahr604 on bootable USB stick....it shows up as weather in the pwidgets selection menu....and palces some bad stml on the desktop

Thom

davids45

Temp_cpu widget

#3154 Post by davids45 »

G'day zigbert,

Thanks for updating your widgets pet and particularly for doing a 64-bit version.
There seems to be a lot of 64-bit Pups on the loose at the present time, and the only 64-bit widget I could find from any 64-bit Pup was very old.

Could you alter the wording that describes the TEMP_cpu widget as I think this widget applies only to the EEE-type mini-laptops. Say rename it something like "TEMP-cpu_EEEcomputers"?

Here's my non-EEE version that works on various old HP desktops here.
I added to the info. in the config file to indicate that modules are needed dependent on the computer so this widget needs adjusting by the user to suit each different computer.

Code: Select all

#this is a Pwidgets config file
#the actual building of the graphics is defined in bottom of this file, - after 'TEXT'. 
# temp data for this widget comes from modules loaded at boot that report any temps for cpu or other devices and for fan speeds if modules report these
# run 'sensors' in a console to see what your system could report
# you may need to run an lm-sensors pet if sensors shows in the terminal it is not loaded
#### --> NB: this widgets needs tailoring to suit your particular computer and its hardware 
# this particular version runs on old HP Small Form desktops

#### PWIDGETS #####

HEIGHT=340
OFFSET_X_LEFT=1080
OFFSET_X_RIGHT=20

#### CONKY ####
#COLORS --- 0:headings 1:base-info 2:extra-info 3:markers 5:green 6:red
#Colors are defined in theme-files, - NOT here.
color0 A2914E
color1 666666
color2 bbbbbb
color3 ffab00
color5 499D3A
color6 red

background no
own_window yes
own_window_type roxdesktop
#own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_colour hotpink
double_buffer yes
total_run_times 0
update_interval 1
minimum_size 180 5
draw_shades yes
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
stippled_borders 2
border_margin 4
border_width 1
default_color white
default_shade_color 333333
default_outline_color red
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
use_spacer none
#font fixed
use_xft yes
xftfont dejavu:size=8

TEXT
${font pdingobats2:size=20}${color4}z${font :size=12}${color yellow} CPU Temps
${font}${color3} ${execi 33 sensors | grep -A 1 'Core' | cut -c1-22 | sed '/^$/d'}
${color3} ${execi 33 sensors | grep -A 1 'Adapter: P' | cut -c1-25 | sed '/^$/d'}
${color3} ${execi 33 sensors | grep -A 9 'smsc' | cut -c1-25 | sed '/^$/d'}
This widget doesn't need the script that came with the EEE-TEMP-cpu widget - the config seems OK just by itself.

David S.

Moat

#3155 Post by Moat »

tlchost wrote: Tried it with 258 and Tahr604 on bootable USB stick....it shows up as weather in the pwidgets selection menu....and palces some bad stml on the desktop
Please explain... can you attach a screenshot? Location issue? Font issue??

I did find a path error in the location plugin script - attached below is the the fix, you might want to give it a try (I've updated the previously posted version here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 572#846572 )...
Attachments
WeatherStation_Forecast_fix.tar.gz
Unpack and replace 'WeatherStation_Forecast' script in /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/scripts/
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 334 times

tlchost

#3156 Post by tlchost »

Moat wrote: Please explain... can you attach a screenshot? Location issue? Font issue??
What should it appear as in the pwidgets menu....all I see is weather2, weather station and weather. I use weather station

Perhaps this will help, When I run the scriot in terminal I see

Code: Select all

cat: /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/configs/Weather_Station_Forecat:  No such file or directory

Moat

#3157 Post by Moat »

tlchost wrote: What should it appear as in the pwidgets menu....all I see is weather2, weather station and weather.
If you copy the files I've attached in these two posts into their respective directories...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 572#846572

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 875#853875

... it should show up as 'Weather_Station_Forecast' in the Pwidgets menu.

Working fine here with the latest Pwidgets 2.5.8 in an updated Tahr 6.0.4 (32 bit).

Bob

tlchost

#3158 Post by tlchost »

Moat wrote: ... it should show up as 'Weather_Station_Forecast' in the Pwidgets menu.

Working fine here with the latest Pwidgets 2.5.8 in an updated Tahr 6.0.4 (32 bit).
Thanks...neither one works must be some cockpit error here ...so, In the interest of not beating my forehead into a slope and reducing blood loss, I'll give up.

Moat

#3159 Post by Moat »

tlchost wrote:...so, In the interest of not beating my forehead into a slope and reducing blood loss, I'll give up.
Here's a .pet of it all combined (attached below), to help ya' avoid such terrible pain. :) The .pet should just install and work!

Bob
Attachments
Weather_Station_Forecast-1.0.pet
Includes Eurostile and pcompass fonts
(65.59 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Forecast_Tahr.jpg
Installed and running in updated Tahr 6.0.x (no-PAE, 32 bit) with Pwidgets 2.5.8
(11.72 KiB) Downloaded 749 times

tlchost

#3160 Post by tlchost »

installs and works fine...thanks very much.

thom

jeffneedle

#3161 Post by jeffneedle »

Hi. Just tried installing pwidgets. No problem with install. I added weather2, shows up in the list on screen, but returning to the desktop doesn't show any weather widget.

Using Tahr 6.0.4. Thanks.

rufwoof

#3162 Post by rufwoof »

Tahr 6.0.2 with 6.0.3 patch applied and 4.3.2 recent kernel dropped in (32 bit PAE, Celeron D single core 2GB ram).

I extracted the pet and did a manual install as I run a read only pup (pfix=ram booted, no savefile) that runs 100% in ram (including Libre Office etc) and I prefer the exact same pup to boot each and every time.

I've recently added zram swap (as I don't like the idea of swap writes to disk and otherwise have no swap partition) and the tray freemem icon wasn't showing the correct amount of free space. So I disabled that tray icon and added pwidget to show both CPU and RAM on the desktop.

Thanks.

I have a different puppypin for each desktop, so each desktop can have different icons/icons arrangements, and wallpapers, as well as the more usual different windows on each desktop. I just had to add a call to pwidgets -S to each desktop (as otherwise the pwidget would 'vanish' when changing desktops) i.e. my ~/.jwm/jwmrc-personal desktop tag now contains

<!-- Number of virtual desktops -->
<Desktops width="3" height="1">

<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/bin/rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin;pwidgets -S</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/bin/rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin2;pwidgets -S</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/bin/rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin3;pwidgets -S</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/bin/rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin4;pwidgets -S</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/bin/rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin5;pwidgets -S</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/bin/rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin6;pwidgets -S</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/bin/rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin7;pwidgets -S</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/bin/rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin8;pwidgets -S</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/bin/rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin9;pwidgets -S</Background></Desktop>
<Desktop><Background type="command">/usr/local/bin/rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin10;pwidgets -S</Background></Desktop>

</Desktops>

And its all working great - change desktop and the CPU and RAM widget flashes up on each desktop. Nice bit of extra animation to go alongside the animated drive icons (vbar) that pop out at you when you hover over them.
Attachments
d.jpg
(41.16 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
e.jpg
(36.25 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
c.jpg
(47.77 KiB) Downloaded 712 times

jeffneedle

#3163 Post by jeffneedle »

Thanks for the response. Looks like it's more trouble than it's worth.

Mayou

sensors Missing

#3164 Post by Mayou »

for temperature icon down the screen
console told me no sensors, but this pet works well : CPUtemp-1.7.pet: 81 K
# sensors
No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
# sensors-detect
No i2c device files found.
#
Attachments
CPUtemp-1.7.pet
(80.46 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

Moat

#3165 Post by Moat »

Uggh! I can't believe my eyes, but it's looking like I may have to...

As of the last few days, Yahoo has changed their weather API, making it no longer open to the public without an authorization "key" of some sorts - breaking all of the Pwidgets weather widgets that rely on Yahoo -
To increase the security measure and better serving our YDN customers, weather data source will enforce OAuth 1 starting March 15, 2016. Please update your API calls with OAuth 1 enabled (via the OAuth /v1/yql end point if using YQL) using your Yahoo App key and secret.
https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/

https://community.apigee.com/questions/ ... oblem.html

I booted my Precise today and noticed Weather Station Forecast was not reporting - a check of /root/.pwidgets/temp/wever-temp showed "Please provide valid credentials. OAuth oauth_problem".

This has broken Vovchik's Yweather Puppy app as well - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=676079 - which after a few minutes seems to become locked in an endless loop, spiking one CPU core @ 100% until killed.

Anybody else experiencing this issue with the Yahoo weather widgets?

How immensely disappointing, if true!!! :evil: :( :evil: :!: Grrrr... makes me wanna kick something/somebody...

Bob

davids45

There's no weather today here too

#3166 Post by davids45 »

G'day Moat,

I have been widget weather forecastless as well, from yesterday I think.

This morning, I went as far as checking the original yahoo address in a browser but it was unresponsive. Definitely not a 'Good' Friday.

So I found yahoo weather for Chatswood on the yahoo.com.au site

https://weather.yahoo.com.au/local-fore ... /chatswood

and being an optimist, copied that address over the original in the weather widget, but nothing resulted.

Is there another less troublesome weather agency that could be used for a detailed weather widget? The original basic weather widget is still OK but I miss the extra information and prognostication of the Forecast widget.

David S.

Moat

Re: There's no weather today here too

#3167 Post by Moat »

Hi David -
davids45 wrote:Is there another less troublesome weather agency that could be used for a detailed weather widget?
I've been wondering the same thing myself. On my Windows machines, I run the desktop widget app Xwidgets, which AFAICT uses Accuweather.com for weather information. For me, it has reported faithfully for years without a hitch.

I do have to wonder how difficult it might be to modify our existing Pwidgets configs to work with a new information source. I'm guessing it will take some rather serious work... :?

It seems no one can leave well enough alone these days. :x

Ziggy, Mick... help! :) :oops:

Bob
Last edited by Moat on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#3168 Post by musher0 »

Hi Moat.

I can confirm that vovchick's yweather is not responding properly today. I did get a
couple of forecasts during the day, forcing it with a restart of xwin. However after the
last forecast I got late this afternoon (Ottawa time), the app froze badly.

Maybe try a general weather site, like weather.com or accuweather.com until we really
know what's going on with yweather? Maybe it's just a glitch, or a database update.
(Since they carry weather data from everywhere in the world, that DB must be huge.)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Moat

#3169 Post by Moat »

Bonsoir, musher0 -
musher0 wrote:However after the
last forecast I got late this afternoon (Ottawa time), the app froze badly.
Yup - it was right around that same time period (late this afternoon, Eastern time in Michigan) when I noticed the Pwidget failed in reporting, after working fine earlier. And then at that point, launching Yweather, it failed (and crashed a few minutes later) also.

The scary thing was the authorization error reported in the Pwidgets temp weather file - and in Googling that specific error, led me to the (very recent) Yahoo info linked to earlier. Doesn't look good. No specific mention there of rss feeds, though - which is where Pwidgets scripts snatch their weather info from. So who knows... it may indeed be a temporary glitch while Yahoo sorts out this authentication/secret crap.

But I'm not holding my breath. Grrr...

Thanks for the reports, fellas.

[edit] Looking closer, I was wrong - it indeed appears the standard rss feeds are affected by this change after all. Grrrrr.... :cry:

Bob

tlchost

#3170 Post by tlchost »

weather underground still offers forecast and free keys.
I use it in a script in the #puppylinux channel on freenode

Most puppies have a link to the channel...if you care to, log in and type
!w or !w help