pWidgets 2.5.8

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
majorfoo

#3031 Post by majorfoo »

Just did full install to ext4 partition of slacko 5.3.3-4g

when I install pwidgets 2.40 and try to use cpu-bar, it does ont appear on screen.

from command line i get following:

/root
# pwidgets
/usr/local/pwidgets/func: line 287: [: =: unary operator expected
/usr/sbin/fixwidgets: line 5: kill: (17934) - No such process
/usr/sbin/fixwidgets: line 6: kill: (17939) - No such process
Conky: Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Puppylinux: 7: no such configuration: 'HEIGHT=60'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Puppylinux: 8: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_LEFT=40'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Puppylinux: 9: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_RIGHT=35'
/root/.pwidgets/widgets/Cpu_bar: 7: no such configuration: 'HEIGHT=50'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Cpu_bar: 8: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_LEFT=40'
Conky: /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Cpu_bar: 9: no such configuration: 'OFFSET_X_RIGHT=20'
Conky: no text supplied in configuration; exiting
Conky: forked to background, pid is 17965

Conky: desktop window (40001f) is subwindow of root window (58)
Conky: window type - override
Conky: drawing to created window (0x2800001)
Conky: drawing to double buffer
Conky: setting bg window (2800001)
/usr/local/pwidgets/func: line 355: kill: (17968) - No such process
Conky: setting bg window (2800001)

This works fine in luci/lupu current series.

01micko

#3032 Post by 01micko »

majorfoo.. bug confirmed, to do with newer kernel

Try the attached patch
Attachments
cpu_bar_patch-0.9.pet
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

majorfoo

#3033 Post by majorfoo »

01micko wrote:majorfoo.. bug confirmed, to do with newer kernel

Try the attached patch
That fixed it, thanks.

davids45

#3034 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
I've been setting up in my loft/attic an "old" computer (2008) using older peripherals - leashed-2button-mouse with a ball, keyboard on a cable - including an old 15" CRT monitor.

Adding a range of Pups, I end up with various optimum screen resolutions, with vesa probably proving most readable/reliable (it's a nv vs nouveau situation otherwise).

I like to use pwidgets with each Pup, particularly now the 'wireless' widget as I am trying to get wireless working from the two downstairs routers I have (one set to WPA, the newer one to WPA2). The other widgets I like are the analog clock, puppy drive space, RAM, the two CPUs, processes and the local weather, as well as the Puppy linux widget to remind me which Pup I've started up.

But the widgets scroll off the bottom of the display unless I choose a high resolution (e.g. 1600x900 is microscopic). The widgets also cover some of the partition icons across the bottom of the screen - I've put three old hard drives into the computer so there are a lot of drive icons.

Rather than edit each widget config file, can the complete widget panel be scaled in some way to fit the display space I'd like?

Thanks for any ideas or help,

David S.

zigbert

#3035 Post by zigbert »

Hello David
I am afraid the widgets are not scalable. The only _simple_ way to squeeze the widgets are by adjusting the height at the top of each configuration file. see /root/.pwidgets/widgets/*

Sigmund

jrb

Possible Weather fix for Slacko-5371 and others

#3036 Post by jrb »

Recently I started testing the beta4 of Slacko 5.4 (5371). The only problem I found was that the icon fonts (pdingobats.ttf) in the weather widget and Puppy Space widget wouldn't work, just square boxes. :cry: So I hacked pdingobats in Fontforge and came up with pdingobats2. So far its working, see here.

You can install the attached .pet and then go to /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Weather and /root/.pwidgets/widgets/Space_Puppy_filesystem and change all mentions of pdingobats to pdingobats2. Then restart Pwidgets (terminal -> #fixwidgets) or reboot.

I've only tested this in Slacko5371 and Squeeze-5X3412 and I'm still running Pwidgets-2.2.7 (If it ain't broke don't fix it :lol: ) but I expect it to be the same in later versions.

Cheers, J
Attachments
pdingobats2-0.01.pet
Fix for Weather icons in Slacko 5.4
(24.65 KiB) Downloaded 1010 times

davids45

#3037 Post by davids45 »

G'day jrb,

Thanks for the pwidgets font fix with pdingobats2.

Fixed my several full and frugal recent Slackos where pwidgets-2.40 gave me the rectangular icons.
I can report the cloudy icon now works - just have to wait for some changes in the weather here, to be sure everything's fully corrected.

I found it better to edit the affected widgets config files from the drop-down menu ("File>Show widget config file(s)") in pwidgets, to get the fix functioning after installing your .pet.

Haven't had this icon issue in any squeezed Pups with pwidgets-2.40, just slackos.

Again, thanks for the fix.

David S.

01micko

#3038 Post by 01micko »

pwidgets-2.4.1, since pwidgets is in "maintenance mode" I'm sure ziggy wont mind me posting this.

Couple of small bugs fixed, added jrb's fixed pdingobats
Attachments
capture14539.jpg
(23.4 KiB) Downloaded 2460 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jrb

#3039 Post by jrb »

davids45 wrote:Haven't had this icon issue in any squeezed Pups with pwidgets-2.40, just slackos.
I didn't have any problems with squeezed Pups either but I thought I better try this in something else to make sure it didn't screw up there.

Oddly enough this also fixed another problem I was having with all recent pups. I run 4 machines on one monitor with a KVM switch. When I ran the weather widget xorg would freeze when I switched to another machine. When I came back I would just get a black screen with big white mouse cursor. Had to Ctrl-Alt-Bksp and restart xwin. Now that problem is gone. Go figure :?

davids45

#3040 Post by davids45 »

G'day widgeteers,

Tried 01micko's pwidgets-2.4.1 quick-fix for the pdingobats problem with the weather and puppy space widgets in recent slackos.

Weather widget now is showing the right icons for recent Sydney weather, but the puppy space icon (Space_Puppy_Filesystem) is now a couple of small squares, not the hard-drive icon of early widgets.

Trivial 'bugs' that someone responsible, knowledgeable and idle :) could fix:
Celsius is mis-spelled in the weather widget
The version number (in the Help>About box) is several versions out-of-date if the latest pwidgets is 2.4.1

David S.

darkstrike

#3041 Post by darkstrike »

Hey folks,

Headed off to work, but I've been tweaking my desktop "look" on my "new" tinker box and was wondering (as I can't find anywhere from searching):

Is there anywhere that people have uploaded Pwidgets preset color themes in .pet files?

The number of themes that Pwidgets comes with is a bit minimal, and I could go through and edit everything manually to get the colors I would like, but I would love to see what interesting color combinations other folks have come up with :)

Thanks!
[url=http://www.sigx.org/link.php][img]http://www.sigx.org/images/skin/Dark+Win+in+Orange/0/xdarkstrike.png[/img][/url]
[color=brown][b]In memory of the dogs I've loved...Molly and Farrah...[/b][/color]

zigbert

#3042 Post by zigbert »

I have updated main post to reflect Mick's update - version 2.4.1

Thank you mick and jrb
Sigmund

Flash858

Same issue as PenguinPupLin

#3043 Post by Flash858 »

I have the same issue as PenguinPupLin. My Puppylinux widget truncates the version to 5...4.

Is there an edit to the config file to fix this? I have tried changing size, borders, font, font size, etc. to no avail.
Currently happily running Puppy Xenial 7.5 64-bit , and Ubuntu Mate 18.04 ... :D

Flash858

Oh, and AWESOME widget d(O o O)b !!!

#3044 Post by Flash858 »

LOVE it d(O o O)b !!!

Superb work!
Currently happily running Puppy Xenial 7.5 64-bit , and Ubuntu Mate 18.04 ... :D

vicmz

#3045 Post by vicmz »

A problem I always have with Pwidgets is when I change colour and then restart X or add new plugins, it switches back to default colour. At times it won't start, and I have to force it from the menu. I have tested the latest Wary, Slacko and Precise, and other people don't seem to have the same issue, so I guess it's my graphic card? (an Intel one, not sure the model)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

vicmz

#3046 Post by vicmz »

I've been trying the latest Pwidgets and it seems more stable in my installs now. It doesn't stop anymore when I restart or reboot, only when I stop it manually. The colour themes issue I mentioned above remains, but all plugins work. It gives a nice touch to my desktop, especially used with Openbox:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 249#670249
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Brown Mouse

#3047 Post by Brown Mouse »

Apologies if this has been mentioned before.
I cant seem to get the cpu bar to show in the latest Slacko5.4.

vicmz

#3048 Post by vicmz »

Not sure if that number 7 is meant to be there, but I thought you may want to know. A user has reported something similar with the weather plugins:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 472#670472
Attachments
image-9.png
(31.14 KiB) Downloaded 2315 times

Flash858

Mystery text

#3049 Post by Flash858 »

Hey - That mysterious "7" is an orphaned character in the configuration file for the pmusic widget.

Just click "pmusic" on the left side, and then file-->show widget(s) config file, and you will see the number 7 kicking about on the first line of the last section like this:

Code: Select all

${color2}${font Pdingobats:bold:size=20}7${font DejaVu :style=bold:size=14}${color0}Pmusic${font Ionic Charge :size=26}${alignr}${color1}${execi 1 /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/scripts/Pmusic time}${font Monofonto :size=18}

It is right there after the font size=20 before the $ sign. Just delete it, save, and click "apply" in the pwidgets dialog. If you have a custom color theme, you may have to apply that as well, as it often defaults to another.

Several of the widgets have these random characters in them, but they are easy to find once you track down one of them.

Cheers!

Argolance

#3050 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
I installed Pwidgets 2.4.1 running Puppy Precise 5.4.3 and this is what I get (see picture): calendar doesn't show days of the month anymore. Tried a previous release ( 2.3.8 ): same thing! This didn't happen running Racy 5.3 rand Precise 5.4.1.

How could this be solved?
Thank you!

Cordialement.
Attachments
191017_223x558_easyshot.jpg
(8.57 KiB) Downloaded 2050 times