pWidgets 2.5.8

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
tasmod

#1486 Post by tasmod »

Not yet, now?
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

tasmod

#1487 Post by tasmod »

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I have the pleasure of announcing that this bunch of reprobates have reached 100 pages of mostly good work, interspersed with drivel.

I must state that most of the drivel, comes from, M,T,R in that order :D (I posted this, so I'm biased)

Go go, widgets.
Rob
-

trio

#1488 Post by trio »

tasmod wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen.

I have the pleasure of announcing that this bunch of reprobates have reached 100 pages of mostly good work, interspersed with drivel.

I must state that most of the drivel, comes from, M,T,R in that order :D (I posted this, so I'm biased)

Go go, widgets.
What? Who? Why? Bling!!!

01micko

#1489 Post by 01micko »

Yep, tried and hung here, blasted Pommies!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

davesurrey

#1490 Post by davesurrey »

WhoDo wrote:
I thought "No, that's not possible. Sigmund would NEVER use a skin that size as a default choice"! So I checked the original package in Unleashed and it was only 9585b!!! Then I checked the rootfs-complete build directory and it was 9585b there too! So somewhere in between building the packages in rootfs-complete and packing them into pup_420.sfs it got messed up! I wonder if that is happening elsewhere too?
In the hope it might help you chase this down: something similar also seemed to be happening in RC1, as I reported earlier, where Roxy shows the Roman clock at 1662B and Ring at 77kB.
(and they were both the same Roman clock!)
Dave

01micko

#1491 Post by 01micko »

@dave.. we may have a bug.... roman and ring are not the same clock... Looking into it

01micko

#1492 Post by 01micko »

@dave again... no bug I can see, but if you can, reboot into RAM only... can you reproduce your problem? If not then maybe a pup-save problem for you... if so, get back to us, we'll fix it...

tasmod

#1493 Post by tasmod »

Ring is the currently applied clock skin. Change it and you will see.
Rob
-

trio

#1494 Post by trio »

All

Maybe clock size changed because of resize process at first start. If so, better have real 140 x 140 skin as default.

01micko

#1495 Post by 01micko »

tasmod wrote:Ring is the currently applied clock skin. Change it and you will see.
1.9-10? (delete old '~/.pwidgets' before applying new :wink: )

trio, no it's ok :)

tasmod

#1496 Post by tasmod »

No Mick, using rc2 with 1.9.5 as is most people who have d/loaded rc2.

So Ring is clock skin currently applied to xonclock. To users it seems to be a duplicate, which it is of course, but dynamic.

They need to know about upgrade to 1.9.10 :lol:
Rob
-

01micko

#1497 Post by 01micko »

tasmod wrote:No Mick, using rc2 with 1.9.5 as is most people who have d/loaded rc2.

So Ring is clock skin currently applied to xonclock. To users it seems to be a duplicate, which it is of course, but dynamic.

They need to know about upgrade to 1.9.10 :lol:
root, root

Yes, but davesurrey posted here... but point taken Rob

WhoDo

#1498 Post by WhoDo »

davesurrey wrote:In the hope it might help you chase this down: something similar also seemed to be happening in RC1, as I reported earlier, where Roxy shows the Roman clock at 1662B and Ring at 77kB.
(and they were both the same Roman clock!)
Thanks, Dave. The version of Pwidgets that was in RC1 used Ring as the default for display, and if you changed to Roman then indeed both Roman and Ring would have been the same ... at least to look at. That behaviour has been corrected in Pwidgets-1.9.10. I think you are right that the copying of files within the new pup_420.sfs while it resides in RAM is leading to some weird things with file sizes.

Had you made a pup_save.2fs and rebooted before that happened? If not then I suspect the problem is in the lzma compression of the pup_420.sfs file, since overwrites before the pup_save.2fs is created will be stored (uncompressed) in the RAM disk until the save file is created, when they should be written and recompressed. I have no idea if I'm right, but it's enough for me to trial the later version of lzma in RC3 to see if the problem repeats.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

davesurrey

#1499 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the speedy response.

@WhoDo
Yes I was aware (I think it was you WhoDO who first told me this), that Ring was the default.
My post was simply to act as a reminder (I know you have so many issues to be thinking about) as I thought that there might have been a connection between this increase in size from 1.6kB to 77kB and what you mentioned above.

As a quick test I just rebooted my 420-RC1 disk (sorry but have not followed later 420 releases on your thread as I got tired of someone's attitude there...glad you eventually stepped in) and used pfix=ram for a live install so no save files involved. Same issue that ring is 77kB whatever clock skin is selected.

So to clarify it happens whether I do or don't make a save file before I make any changes.

HTH but if it doesn't and I am talking cr**p then sorry for wasting your time.

Dave (lurking)

ps Pwidget guys..really impressed with what you are doing!

WhoDo

#1500 Post by WhoDo »

davesurrey wrote:As a quick test I just rebooted my 420-RC1 disk ...[snip]... Same issue that ring is 77kB whatever clock skin is selected.

So to clarify it happens whether I do or don't make a save file before I make any changes.
It's all good, Dave. I still think the problem is in the lzma compression module, so I'll swap that one out for the later one in RC3 and we can repeat the test then.

Thanks for testing.

PS. Sorry for hijacking the Pwidgets thread with this stuff guys. It's clearly not a Pwidgets issue but something in the 4.2 package.

Cheers
Last edited by WhoDo on Thu 12 Mar 2009, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

tasmod

#1501 Post by tasmod »

OK here's what's happening.

Clock skin is compressed png at 90%

Ring is totally uncompressed.

Compare sizes and it correlates.
Rob
-

tasmod

#1502 Post by tasmod »

Need to apply compression in clock-skin chooser. How?

Or fixed in 1.9.10
Rob
-

WhoDo

#1503 Post by WhoDo »

tasmod wrote:OK here's what's happening.

Clock skin is compressed png at 90%

Ring is totally uncompressed.

Compare sizes and it correlates.
Great catch, Rob! 8)

WhoDo

#1504 Post by WhoDo »

tasmod wrote:Need to apply compression in clock-skin chooser. How?

Or fixed in 1.9.10
Well, 1.9.10 doesn't use Ring.png as the default any more. It uses Clock-analog.png which resides in /root/.pwidgets/misc directory. Haven't checked to see if Clock-analog.png is inordinately large yet.

EDIT: Just checked and Sigmund has Clock-analog.png as a symlink not a copy of the skin, so 1.9.10 is just repointing the link and not copying. Problem should be solved UNLESS you actually copy something. I'll still look at lzma as a potential source for the problem, too.

Thanks.
Last edited by WhoDo on Thu 12 Mar 2009, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#1505 Post by 01micko »

@davesurrey

Can you try the latest Pwidgets-1..9-10 (available from main post) with your current config and give a report? Please delete "~/.pwidgets" dir before installing.

Thankyou.