pWidgets 2.5.8

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
trio

#1341 Post by trio »

Sigmund

Puppy will execute programs in start up folder alphabetically, let's say some people put aplay.bin in there, then it will be executed before show_widgets

01micko

#1342 Post by 01micko »

Say that clock-skin plugin was renamed to 'Clock-analog' and opened automatically when user added 'Clock-analog' to the widget list. The same for TV. Then it became more logical to make plugins for slideshow, horoscope, rss, worldtime?, weather?
Neat idea I think, that addresses 3 in trio's list.

(off topic, sort of) We are tracking a cyclone here in SE Queensland, it is about 500km due north of me ATM. Will be interesting to see if accuwaeather reflects this if it gets close enough and I can see jebJQ8's cyclone symbol, of course without typing it in...
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tasmod

#1343 Post by tasmod »

Hi Guys,
Just a short visit, have a biz meeting.

Seems we have likers and dislikers of pwidgets.

CPU usage was mentioned as an overhead, could we determine using htop which widgets are lowest usage and use those as first load in RC3 or whatever it will be.

I have a couple of ideas but they will add overhead just like everything else.
The Alarm will definitely add cycles, as will changing World Time to accommodate DST throughout the world.

Moon phase is OK, I have set it at 12 hr refresh.

Maybe Weather timing could be increased slightly.

How about a simple script plus window that offers shutoff/on pwidgets.
Appends to Start file.

How about a complete single pet of all 'bling' that can be loaded seperately for the fans.

Input boxes for widgets that need setup parameters ?

Seems ttuuxxx and co, want a startup that is set from word 'Go' without any digging.

Rob
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

tasmod

#1344 Post by tasmod »

Just sat back and looked at my post.

Reminds me of VW. They had a small car here called the Polo.

Market research amongst buyers suggested, 'it just needs a bit more room in back', 'it just needs larger storage', 'if only it had larger rear door'.

So VW increased them to meet market research.

Result, car now too expensive to meet buyers needs and they had to introduce a smaller car, the Lupo.

Seems we may be heading towards 'programs' instead of simple widgets.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

WhoDo

#1345 Post by WhoDo »

tasmod wrote:Market research amongst buyers suggested, 'it just needs a bit more room in back', 'it just needs larger storage', 'if only it had larger rear door'.

So VW increased them to meet market research.

Result, car now too expensive to meet buyers needs and they had to introduce a smaller car, the Lupo.
And the moral of the story is ... do your market research but don't let every squeeky wheel dictate who gets the grease! Listen, by all means, but after that do what seems best for the majority of users.

Those with slow machines just need to know how to turn Pwidgets off - i.e. move the start_widgets script out of the startup folder.

Those with faster machines will appreciate the simplicity of what is being offered and accept a few less CPU cycles or RAM % points for being able to claim "Look what I can do in only 100Mb! Take that Vista!"

Still others, the silent majority I suspect, will take what suits them and remove what doesn't. At least they'll know it's there for the choosing.

I am very happy with the way Pwidgets is now presented. At 916kb uncompressed it is not truly "light", but what you guys have packed into that <1Mb is a testiment to your capabilities. Well done! It is a very useful product that will WOW the socks off everyone who sees it, IMHO.

Cheers.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

01micko

#1346 Post by 01micko »

Nice point Rob,

Sigmund

Anyways sleep 0 is ok on my lappy, I think I said 1gig, but it is 1066MHz, so fast in puppy terms, 512 ram, it hiccupped a bit on first try but I am running ram only at the moment and it had to add sidebar, because WhoDo has a cheat sidebar in 4.2, I tried two or three times, 5 widgets including analog clock every time, seems ok., seamonkey was running too, so I vote 0! (but I suppose leave it at 1, we can easy change it... mention in help dropdown? Oh yeah, said that!)
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 09 Mar 2009, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#1347 Post by 01micko »

WhoDo,

That <1MiB you refer to, is that including conky?

Cheers

WhoDo

#1348 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:That <1MiB you refer to, is that including conky?
No but it does include 38kb of piggy-back clock skins and 600 bytes of extra sidebars! :P Otherwise it's pristine. :wink: Conky weighs in at an extra 338kb ... positively bloated by Pwidgets standards! :lol:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

zigbert

#1349 Post by zigbert »

Warren
I would like to see those 916kb. Their not here at my place. If you have 1.3 mb Pwidgets (including conky), you can save at least 800kb.

Sigmund

zigbert

#1350 Post by zigbert »

Maybe you count the generated background, and using a complex wallpaper????? The default wallpaper in Puppy 4.2 RC2 is generated during startup to 132kb on 1200x800 screen. I think we could do this better.

Sigmund
Last edited by zigbert on Mon 09 Mar 2009, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#1351 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:I would like to see those 916kb. Their not here at my place. If you have 1.3 mb Pwidgets (including conky), you can save at least 800kb.
Sure. Here is the output from Treesize on the unpacked Pwidgets-1.96 folder in Unleashed.

Remember this is completely uncompressed i.e. outside of any squash file system and sitting at the / level of the partition.

Cheers.

zigbert

#1352 Post by zigbert »

Puppy 4.2 rc2:
These includes your 'crazy' clock-skins of about 100kb :twisted:
I addition Pwidgets are editor files (34kb) and fixwidgets.

01micko

#1353 Post by 01micko »

OK!!!

Trio, this one will make you almost as happy as me! 8)

TV working nicely on lappy, .... sleep 0, RC2, other widgets running, PuppyLinux, Ana-Clock, Date, World time, Puppyspace, Weather, ... TV.

Nice.

Crappy 8Meg graphics likes pw196.

I haven't used it much lately, typing is a pain,some broken buttons and spacebar fails unless you bang it hard.

Sorry, no screeny, get blue rectangle where Tv is ,ah well, works anyways. :)

Cheers brothers!

WhoDo

#1354 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:Puppy 4.2 rc2:
That's probably inside the mounted pup_save or pup_420 file, am I correct? :?

Try copying the directory to a point outside the squash file system and then running Treesize on it from the Filesystem menu. It's included in RC2. It will let you drill down to individual files to see where each byte is located.

Hope that helps.

01micko

#1355 Post by 01micko »

Ok, here's properties of my ~/.pwidgets folder's size, bear in mind no /usr/local/pwidgets or /usr/sbin/fixwidgets or the other stuff in start up. I'm sure all that stuff isn't 300k, but I dunno. Ooh, some small plugins too, Date (modded) and... no sorry just date.

But what does it matter? Is it using too much resources?

Might mention, RC2, brand new pup_save...

(don't wory about odd times in properties screeny, I was fixing locales)
Attachments
666k.jpg
(45.83 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 09 Mar 2009, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

#1356 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:Image

Puppy 4.2 rc2:
Something not quite right here. :shock: This is the /root/.pwidgets/profiles directory alone:

Are you doing some "creative accounting" there Sigmund? :lol: I'm thinking that your reading is only for the /root/.pwidgets directory level alone and doesn't include the total size of those 29 sub-directories! :P
Last edited by WhoDo on Mon 09 Mar 2009, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#1357 Post by zigbert »

Fresh Puppy 4.2 rc2
Let me count for you:
182 kb - /root/.pwidgets/ (including 108 kb of WhoDo clock-skins)
32 kb - /usr/local/pwidgets
97kb - fonts
2 kb - fixwidgets
27 kb - xwinwrap, blendpics, resizepng (usr/bin/)
21 kb - xonclock

361 kb - Sum
243 kb - Sum without WhoDo clock-skins.

Also be aware that png clockskins affects the compressed iso much more than codelines, because png are already compressed and will have the same size in the iso/pet.

Sigmund

01micko

#1358 Post by 01micko »

WhoDo wrote: Are you doing some "creative accounting" there Sigmund? :lol:
Man, you must follow NRL WhoDo! Lots of creative accounting been going on for years to dodge the ol' salary cap! Didn't they coin the phrase? (sorry for off topic)

01micko

#1359 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:s.

Also be aware that png clockskins affects the compressed iso much more than codelines, because png are already compressed and will have the same size in the iso/pet.

Sigmund
I noticed that too. When I pet 'em, same size. :(

WhoDo

#1360 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:Fresh Puppy 4.2 rc2
Let me count for you:
182 kb - /root/.pwidgets/ (including 108 kb of WhoDo clock-skins)
This is the one I have the problem with, Sigmund. See my screenshot of Treesize above. You cannot possibly have only 82kb (excluding clocks) in the /root/.pwidgets directory when the /root/.pwidgets/profiles subdirectory alone contains 100kb. Your figures are just not correct for the /root/.pwidgets directory in total.

It doesn't matter all that much to me except to say that if you DID manage to magically trim 800kb off the size then I could make very good use of it!