CueSplitter - split cue/bin audio files into separate tracks

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Nathan F

CueSplitter - split cue/bin audio files into separate tracks

#1 Post by Nathan F »

This is a WIP, still rough. Not sure if there is even enough demand to develop it too far. Anyway, what does it do? Well, if you are one of those naughty people who download music via bittorrent a lot, then you will have noticed a lot of music being distributed as a single large audio file with an included cue sheet. This is useful for burning your own cd of that album, but worthless if you want the individual tracks for your mp3 player or just on your hard drive. This app splits the single file and converts it to your specified output format, names and tags the ouput files accordingly.

I wrote this partially as a useful tool, partially as a programming exercise. The idea was to create an audio tool which was extensible via plugins, so that adding formats does not require recoding the original program, just writing a new plugin. Presently I've only written the lame plugin, for mp3 output. I only have plans for two other plugins, flac and oggenc. If you like the idea and really want some other plugin contact me and I'll consider it.

As I stated first off, this is a work in progress. There are several areas where it is incomplete. The options let you pick a temp directory but currently the files are still processed in the output directory. Simple to recode but I just haven't done it yet. I also have some more work to do to get it translation ready. There is an option to include the date in the album title but it is currently ignored. And the default output plugin setting is also ignored, but with only one output plugin this is not a big deal. Also the help and about dialogs are not written yet. That and the two above mentioned output plugins form the whole of my todo list, but if you point out any bugs I'll do my best to get them fixed.

There should be more than enough quality settings for mp3 output. The plugin supports VBR, ABR, and CBR output in mono or stereo with bitrates from 16 to 256. I plan for the oggenc plugin to be functionally identical. But I'm open to suggestions.

Requires lame and shntool. I've been away so much I don't even know if lame is in Puppy by default anymore, or where you would look for an shntool package. Sorry.

Nathan
Attachments
cuesplitter.png
Main program interface - nice and simple
(27.72 KiB) Downloaded 1188 times
options.png
Program options window
(21.64 KiB) Downloaded 1168 times
lame_options.png
Lame plugin options
(20.31 KiB) Downloaded 1162 times
CueSplitter-0.2.pet
(17.24 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
Last edited by Nathan F on Sun 16 Nov 2008, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#2 Post by plinej »

Looks good to me. Thanks Nathan! Lame is in Puppy by default and you can find shntool here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 24&t=26698

zigbert

#3 Post by zigbert »

Good to see you around, Nathan.

Sigmund

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

Thx man. Just don't expect it to be too often.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

magerlab

#5 Post by magerlab »

Nice to see you again, Gray!
and thak you for this interesting solution

Nathan F

#6 Post by Nathan F »

Thx for the link Jason. I've got a few hours today, not a lot to do and a good net connection. I'm fiddling with this a bit while I watch a few old flicks. Kinda missed this sort of thing.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#7 Post by Nathan F »

Just uploaded 0.2. That'll do it for today. This one includes the oggenc and flac plugins, as well as a dummy plugin for wav (wav is an intermediate step for the other output formats). It also now uses the temp directory setting and respects the default output plugin setting.

This was a neato little project. I came up with a few ideas I'm planning to include when I revamp a few of my other apps.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

I came up with a few ideas
I know you are busy (our great loss).
I wish we heard more from you . . .

Look after yourself. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D