Ripple Releases (Puppy with Compiz-fusion, more)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
aarf

#46 Post by aarf »

Yes dinky i have the impression that the 800x480x24 selection is (the) critical selection. Am exhausted from testing today, will do more another time but for now ripple goes so i am going to rest.

37fleetwood

#47 Post by 37fleetwood »

I haven't gone back and played with it any more yet but here's what I have:
Nvidia 7600GS video card
Envision G19LWk 19" LCD monitor @1440x900 60mhz
2.53Ghz Pentium4
1.5gig ram
200gig primary hdd with dual boot Windows XP Pro., and Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
500gig secondary hdd with NTFS partition
Scott 8)

rhadon

#48 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

:lol: IT WORKS :lol:

for writing down exact which combinations I tested, and animated by aarf's post I found the right combination for eee 900:

xorg 1024x600x24, select manual, Intel and it works.
Stupid. :oops: I tried a lot of combinations, but this one seemingly not.

Now I'm ready for the next challenges.

Thank you all.

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

aarf

#49 Post by aarf »

Day isn't over yet. remember the riddle of the .sfs'es from eeeTiger, well its back.
have both puppy4.1.1 and ripple in separate folders on my usb flash.
this is posted from the backend of 4.1.1 which loaded in preference to its own .sfs the pup411ripple.sfs, needs 800x480x24 and will boot with auto config in compriz fusion.
Possibly the problem is with the names of both .sfs beginning with pup_411 ie. pup_411.sfs and pup_411ripple.sfs

so some people may be without if they cant get the ripple to boot when they have 4.1.1 going before but now cant boot at all.

aarf

#50 Post by aarf »

dinky wrote: @aarf
Glad it's working. Those commands for your grub line look like they come from eeetiger... very familiar. Not sure if all are necessary. I found the default for usb installation in puppy 4.1.1 worked fine, after choosing the mbr.syslinux option. The defaults are:

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy nosmp
In my grub config file for my internal flash (recognized as ataflash) I'm using:

title Ripple
	root (0x80,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz ide=nodma pmedia=ataflash pfix=copy nosmp
	initrd /boot/initrd.gz
Which is basically the same thing. aarf, can you try this for me and see if it works? I'm really keen to know. (just back up your old file)
Interesting about 800x480x24... that's always the one I've chosen so it's possible it's that simple... will try i a bit. Also, after trying the above in your grub line, can you choose 800x480x24, and Auto configuration with the compiz wizard? Not sure exactly what the manual configuration really does in the wizard except tombh tod me it doesn't actualy work... Thanks so much for posting this, and for helping with the testing, Cheers.
~dinky
please type exactly what you want me to try so I can copy and paste it on to my menu.lst . Noting that my files are in folder /ripple on an external Usb flash which also has the grub stuff.. My EeePC file system is xandros as store/shop bought. I tried guessing what you wanted but it didnt boot.

aarf

#51 Post by aarf »

[deleted operamini browser hiccup]
Last edited by aarf on Fri 21 Nov 2008, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

dinky

#52 Post by dinky »

@Scott
Wow. Impressive machine specs. Once we get your Nvidia drivers sorted, Ripple's gonna fly...lol. How are you finding Ubuntu's Intrepid Ibis? I haven't upgraded yet, still with hardy heron, which is working fine. Heard there have been issues with Cairo dock in Intrepid, and haven't been game enough to try yet. Nowhere near as easy as Puppy to restore your system...anyway.

If i get some time Ill have a go with those driers this weekend.

@Rolf
Great! I'm so glad it's working!!! Simple fix in the end... I'll try and figure out why this happens, then perhaps look at forsing Ripple to x24, or simply removing the 16 option. Let me know how you go.

@aarf
Add this to your menu.lst file. It will give you another option at bootup. Choose "RippleTest" and see how you go. My suspicion (if I've configured this correctly for your usb!) is that this will work fine. Can you time this option on bootup, as well as the defualt one you're using? Oh, and how are you liking Ripple? Cheers,
~dinky

--------------------
To add to menu.lst

title RippleTest
root (hd0,0)
kernel /ripple/vmlinuz ide=nodma pmedia=ataflash pfix=copy nosmp
initrd /ripple/initrd.gz

37fleetwood

#53 Post by 37fleetwood »

@Dinky,
I'm enjoying Ubuntu, Puppy is way cool for some things but I'm finding Ubuntu more solid all around. not as fast but overall way faster than XP! I'm not using Cairo Dock I tried Avant Window Navigator but it has some problems as well so I just set up the task bar the way I want it and got rid of the docks altogether. I installed Compiz and Emerald and got rid of all that annoying orange and brown! this last month I decided to go Microsoft free and used a separate drive to install every flavour of Linux I could find. Ubuntu seemed to be best for what I do, with Puppy actually comming in a close second. I hated Mandriva 2009 Fedora didn't do anything for me, Suse is great but I'm not as big on KDE as I used to be, I also tried bunches of the smaller ones. Xubuntu was good and almost won out as I'm also not very fond of Gnome, but with Emerald and some tweaking I have Gnome looking rather decent I think. Open GEU was cool as it uses Enlightenment but too alien to be the everyday system. here is a screen shot of Ubuntu not that it shows much except that my desktop is cleaner than my actual desk top! :lol:
Scott 8)

rhadon

#54 Post by rhadon »

Hi,
just a small info:

On eee900:
CUPS didn't work, no matter I used Setup -> CUPS Printer Wizard or System -> CUPS manage printing.
Nothing happend. Installing cups-fix-pet made no difference.
http://localhost:631 is working fine.

I couldn't find a possibility to see, how much free mem is in the .2sf-file (or I don't find it)
So I installed Freememapplet-1.2-trayicon-MU.pup finding here:
http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups/Desktop-Tools/
After running, I see the info by pressing F9.

That's all for now, have a good day
Rolf

Edt: Setup->Wizard Wizard->Setup CUPS printing ... is also not working.

aarf

#55 Post by aarf »

dinky wrote: To add to menu.lst

title RippleTest
root (hd0,0)
kernel /ripple/vmlinuz ide=nodma pmedia=ataflash pfix=copy nosmp
initrd /ripple/initrd.gz
this code will boot if the "pmedia=ataflash" term is removed completely. If the term is there it fails to find the pup.sfs. Without the term it is about 50% slower on boot than the modified eeeTiger original code. Are there more modification to try? Have now pulled out the pfix=ram term so I can use a pup_save.

technosaurus

#56 Post by technosaurus »

Do you have the empty file called ataflash in your /mnt/home directory (where your puppy files are located)? This is a fairly new addition and I'm not sure of its utility except that I think its a helper file for speeding the locate pupxxx.sfs portion of the boot process.

also psubdir=ripple OR phome=ripple ... assuming its in /ripple

<4.1 these actually made no improvement since it searched all locations anyways but I this may have been corrected in 4.1.1

dinky

#57 Post by dinky »

@Scott
Thanks for the info matey, sounds limilar to me. Haven't tried as many Linux's though. Started with Mandriva 2007, and made the full shift to windows with 2008. Loved it. Havn't tried 2009. Shifted to Puppy, then found myself spending too many work hours stuffing about with it... I was using TigerPup, my own distro. So wiped Mandriva, and installed Ubuntu Studio as my main distro. Needed something stable I'm not going to screw around wiith... works fine for me. Now I can just focus any Linux time I have on Ripple. Will get around to Intrepid one of these days. hardy's fine for now.

@Rhadon
Thanks for the tip about the memory applet! I was looking for something like that, and I'll include it in the next release. Re cups, sorry, that's my stuffup. My pet replaces /usr/sbin/cups_shell, and I forgot to set the permissions. Run this command to fix your menu entires:

chmod 775 /usr/sbin/cups_shell
@aarf
Thanks for the testing. I forgot you're not on ataflash, but usbflash. Sorry about that! ataflash is the internal eeepc drive. I'll play around with some more boot configs and get back to you with more testing. Thanks for those tips! I was hoping we could speed up Ripple's boot time.

aarf

#58 Post by aarf »

technosaurus wrote:Do you have the empty file called ataflash in your /mnt/home directory (where your puppy files are located)? This is a fairly new addition and I'm not sure of its utility except that I think its a helper file for speeding the locate pupxxx.sfs portion of the boot process.

also psubdir=ripple OR phome=ripple ... assuming its in /ripple

<4.1 these actually made no improvement since it searched all locations anyways but I this may have been corrected in 4.1.1
no i dont have the ataflash file anywhere. I created an ataflash in geany and put it in various places on the flashdrive but still no combination that contains the pmedia=ataflash term will find the pup.sfs . However the other two terms psubdir and phome, have solved the riddle of the sfs problem. Now i get the right sfs loaded and also dont need to select the correct pup_save. Thanks for those.

aarf

#59 Post by aarf »

@dinky happy to be of assistance. The terms from Technosaurus are definite speed enhancers.

dinky

#60 Post by dinky »

Which terms? I'm guessing it would be the psubdir=ripple or phome=ripple (haven't tried the last one). Forgot about that!

I'm fairly sure ataflash refers to the type of install... namely a flash card with an ata adapter. When I hacked init to get it to save at intervals to the eeepc's internal flash drive, I had to add something along the lines of "ataflash=pupmode13". There is a hack added to init in Puppy 4.1.1 which allows for recognizing pupmode 13 for classmate pc's, but not for eeepc's. Anyway... bits of fairly useless informaiton for you...lol.

I'm just fiished remastering a test fersion of Ripple... one that hopefully includes the needed drivers for Nvidia and ATI cards. Only a few other minor bug fixes for now, and the iso is huge... 178mb. I'll cut down the driver files once we figure out what works. Hopefully I'll get these up tonight...unless my beautiful wife comes and hauls me off to bed...lol. It's getting late. Post more soon.
dinky

dinky

#61 Post by dinky »

ripple_06-3.iso now out... this is the first test release to attempt support for Nvidia and propriety ATI drivers. See the development thread here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=60

Iso available here: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ ... /test_iso/
I'll mirror it tomorrow. PLEASE post in the development thread above, NOT here! This is a development release only. Cheers.

~dinky

rhadon

#62 Post by rhadon »

@dinky

My pet replaces /usr/sbin/cups_shell, and I forgot to set the permissions. Run this command to fix your menu entires: Code:
chmod 775 /usr/sbin/cups_shell
Works fine. Thank you
Rolf

rhadon

#63 Post by rhadon »

Hi,
found a small disharmony on my EeePc900 with ripple 6-2 and 6-3:
sometimes new windows are greater than the actual workspace, so a part of the window appears in another workspace.
Also sometimes a new window appears completely in another workspace, not in the actual were it should happen.But as I said, not a great problem.

@37fleetwood (maybe a little bit off topic)
I have read an older post from you about truecrypt.Here I found truecrypt6.1 and by a small test it works fine with ripple:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 370#251277
That's all for the moment
Rolf
Attachments
ripple1-2.jpg
Greater windows than workspace
(55.7 KiB) Downloaded 446 times

Aitch

#64 Post by Aitch »

Dinky/other eeepc 900/901 users

Maybe this hardware looksee will be useful, as I believe it's a 900

http://content.techrepublic.com.com/234 ... 12471.html

Aitch :)

dinky

#65 Post by dinky »

Thanks Aitch!

@rhadon
great news about truecrupt, I'll aim to put it in for the next release. Re the windows, that's a problem I've only found work arounds for, no real fixes. The desktop wall is one way to manage this... ie. oom out when the windows are bigger than you'd like. The other way is with the home+f binding. This makes windows fullscreen, and usable. Give it a go. Particularly needed for ccsm, otherwise realy difficult to choose any options. I'm sure there are other ways, and if you trawl through the compiz-fusion forums you're bound to find a tutorial pointing you there. Let me know if you find an actual fix, or better workaround. Cheers!
~dinky