Ripple Releases (Puppy with Compiz-fusion, more)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dinky

#31 Post by dinky »

@jim
Cairo dock can be a bit tempermental... at some point I'll look into replacing this version with the next release... sometimes you just need to restart it to get it working.

@mysticmarks
Sounds like you're onto it. Can you find the best sfs maker/editor so we can put it into Ripple? I'm unlikely to be able to focus on that for awhile.

@Lanelester & aarf
Interesting. Firstly, lets try and get xorg working without compiz-fusion on your computer, as compiz-fusion won't run without it. I need to edit the script for Xvesa in xorgwizard... Compiz-fusion won't work with it! Currently Ripple is based on compiz-fusion, and doesn't function properly without it.

Use ctl+alt+bckspc to exit out of X. Type

Code: Select all

e3 /root/.xinitrc
Comment out line 5 & 6, so it looks like this:

#LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace --indirect-rendering --sm-disable ccp &
#sleep 3
Hit ctrl+k, then hit x. This will save the file and exit. Next type

xorgwizard
Choose xorg, and let compiz-fusion wizard play out, You can choose manual configuration, and jwm, but it shouldn't really mater. What's important is xorg.

Type this next:

xwin jwm
This should take you into jwm, without cairo dock, widgets, or compiz-fusion.

This is the first step, as I believe xorg is most likely working. Ripple uses compiz-fusion as the windows manager, so if it's not working 1 of two things could happen: Ripple starts with no windows manager, or Ripple won't start at all. This is more likely because Compiz-fusion won't start, than because of xorg bombing out.

Lanelester, Ripple will not currently work on your machine with compiz-fusion... simply because there are no drivers included in Ripple as of yet for Nvidia cards. wNOP, TigerPup, Ubuntu will all most likely work as they have support for Nvidia. It is coming for Ripple, but I haven't had the time to make another test iso with them in. You could look at installing them yourself, and seeing how you go. Use jwm as above, because it's currently functional. In a terminal, type:

petch nvidia
and install whichever package best suits. I'd suggest the most recent one, or something from puppy 4 series. Then you can re comment the lines above to get Ripple working, and type

xorgwizard
when exited from X to try and reconfigure your card. If we're lucky, the compiz-fusion wizard will recognize your card, and configure everything properly for it. After that, type

xwin ripple
to start ripple again, hopefully this time with compiz-fusion.

Aarf, which eeepc are you running? Are you booting Ripple into Ram? Does Compiz Fusion wizard run after xorgwizard? It's possible that the 701 (test bed for Rippple) is configured differrently from later models, and the 900 series eeepc, so I might have to look into this. Your signature says you are using the eeepc 701, which is working flawlessly for me. How are you trying to boot Ripple? If you've installed it to a usb, how did you do it, and with what files? What is your config line in grub or extlinux.conf? More information please, and lets get this running! As a last resort we might have to see how to get the standard puppy running compiz-fusion on your eeepc, then port it to Ripple from there. Thanks for sticking wih this.
Cheers!
~dinky

37fleetwood

#32 Post by 37fleetwood »

ok, I downloaded ripple_06-2.iso from http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ripple/iso 3 or 4 times and the md5sum never matched once. I'm trying downloading from http://puppylinux.igsobe.com/puppylinux/tpp/Ripple/iso/ and will let you know how it goes. if I can get it running you will know it is possible no matter how knowledgeable you are. my plan is simply to install the Nvidia drivers from jwm and get xorg running with the new driver and then switch to ripple from there. we'll see. so far I've been rather inept at even getting a good iso to burn :roll:
Scott 8)

dinky

#33 Post by dinky »

Hi Scott, I'm looking at moving all the downloads to the .ca puppy site... will let you know here soon. Hopefully that will be a bit more stable. Also in the next week or two will try and sort out the other drivers for Ripple so keep checking back. Good luck.
~dinky

edit: the puppy.ca site will be a mirror, I'm still using my own. Will post up my stuff soon. Cheers.

LaneLester

#34 Post by LaneLester »

dinky wrote:@Lanelester & aarf
Interesting. Firstly, lets try and get xorg working without compiz-fusion on your computer, as compiz-fusion won't run without it. I need to edit the script for Xvesa in xorgwizard.
Eee PC: I made the edits in .xinitrc and sure enough, Ripple runs just fine without Compiz-fusion.

Now to see what I can do to get nVidia drivers for my big box.

Later: OK, I'm editing this from Ripple in my big box... but not from Compiz-fusion. This is what 'petch nvidia' said:
searching ...

SOURCE | DIRECTORY | FILENAME (size)
Please type the number of the package you would like to fetch:

It evidently didn't find anything.

However, while Ripple was booting, it reported finding my nVidia card and it wanted to install the nvidia-100.14.19 driver, which I said was OK. It said it was installing it, and then the boot proceeded to completion. But as reported before, no title bar on the windows or other wm functions.

Lane
Last edited by LaneLester on Wed 19 Nov 2008, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

mysticmarks

#35 Post by mysticmarks »

http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/so ... fs-1.1.pet

It looks like Pizzasgood fixed it up recently and turned into a pet(was a .pup) good work PG.

mysticmarks

#36 Post by mysticmarks »

I think that cairo dock might be best left unhidden as well. why did you pull abiword?

37fleetwood

#37 Post by 37fleetwood »

finally got a good iso and burn!! as suspected it doesn't run well out of the box with my card. I am in ripple but no emerald so no window borders, and no compiz. I had to switch to jwm to get the networking going, I couldn't find the wizard in ripple, and it is hard to navigate with no window borders. then I had to switch back to ripple because jwm doesn't seem to have a menu listing for firefox, or any other browser for that matter. I suppose if I were better at command line calls... all in all though it looks really cool and everything, though it seems very sluggish. maybe when the video acceleration is going that will go away. I'll try getting it going tomorrow, I just wanted to report this small sucess! so far even a dunce like me can get it to go somewhat! :oops:
Scott 8)

dinky

#38 Post by dinky »

@ mysticmarks
I hate abiword. While it's small size is great, it's functionality sucks. It's still available from the repository for people who want it. I need something much more full featured for my work, which is why I'm including Open Office as a pre-configured add-on. I'll consider doing the same with abiword, but I'll need some prompting. I just don't like it enough. To unhide cairo-dock, play with the configuration options under the first menu you come to. From memory, I think Autohide worked best for being seen over maximized windows... it's also possible I just preferred it that way...lol.

@lanelester
Did you try petch when you were hooked up to the internet? Make sure you have an internet connection, or petch won't work. it also won't tell you it's not working, either. The cfwizard sounds like it's working... except there's no drivers for it to install yet. I'll try and build something that will work in the next few days. For the record, the cfwizard is looking for the driver as a tar file in /tmp. So... if you can download the driver as a pet, run

pet2tgz drivername
and move it into /tmp, then exit out of X and rerun xorgwizard... there needs to be a simpler way to do all this... will look into this for future releases.

Re your eeepc, which model are you using again? Also, please describe in detail all the steps you've taken to install Ripple... I need to know exactly how you are trying to run it. Cheers.

@Scott
Hang in there matey, I'm really impressed with your persistence! What video card are you using? What are the specs of your machine you're trying to get Ripple going on? And yes, video acceleration should definitely help your machine. My eeepc701 is only 900 mhz, but is quite fast. To run firefox from the commandline, type

firefox

in a terminal. You're right, I haven't created a menu entry for it yet. Thanks for reminding me.

mysticmarks

#39 Post by mysticmarks »

I ran from cd and was able to config cairodock a bit, but then it completely vanish as mentioned by others. tried exiting and restarting xwin ripple. still no luck. So then i Killed cairodock, and compiz crashed along with it. xwin ripple again, still no dock, although it shows in processes again. Kill it there and compiz crashed again.

rhadon

#40 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

I think, I have the same problem like Lanelester + aarf, maybe my expession is not so good, because I'm not so familiar with english.

If I choose manual configuration with JWM, Ripple starts and seems to work fine, also Wlan.

Compiz doesn't work, no matter which resolution I use.

Will try it next with my Gericom.
At last it looks great, even without Compiz.

Greetings to all

Rolf

dinky

#41 Post by dinky »

@Rhadon
What graphics card are you using? If it's not Intel or ATI radeon, its not supporte at this time... try next weeks release...lol.

@mysticmarks
Welcome to cairo dock hell... it does exist. Cairo dock is one of the programs holding up X... in order for compiz to be the windows manager, you need to start it with other programs... currently cairo dock is one of them. Anyway, that aside, the easiest way to reconfigure cairo dock if it's hosed is to erase your settings for it in your root folder. Exit X (ctrl+alt+bkspc), then run this command:

rm -fr /root/.config/cairo-dock
This will erase ALL of your cairo-dock settings, and reset it to the default when Ripple first boots. This will happen next time you start cairo dock. If you want to save your launcher configuration, backup your /root/.config/cairo-dock/current_theme/launchers folder, then replace it after cairo dock resets again. I love cairo dock, but it can be a pain to configure... hopefully the next releases will be better. It would be worthwhile to include some info about this in the next release... good luck. Also, if you want to play around with other "X-holders", you can edit the ripple command, it's very simple. Run

geany /usr/sbin/ripple
to experiment around with other start options. It would be great to start ripple with other hidden programs that won't crash... cairo dock can be moved elsewhere.
~dinky

rhadon

#42 Post by rhadon »

Sorry,

I changed my signature in the profile to:

EeePc 900, orig. still with XP, different Puppies on 16GB-SDHC
Gericom Cinema, Celeron, 1MB Ram, ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 M10

and thought, it is automatically added to my posts, but it didn't.

aarf

#43 Post by aarf »

Its working. After a lots of playing around in xvera in emerald and fusion I went back to xorgwizard then xorg>manual for compriz>intel and it worked. Will try later to duplicate it. Now going for eating.

aarf

#44 Post by aarf »

EeePc 701 download, check md5sum, and then click ripple_06-2.iso in a puppy, then copy all contents of the ripple.iso to folder /ripple on grub enabled usb flash drive, modify menu.lst to include

title ripple on bootable USB
root (hd0,0)
kernel /ripple/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 hdc=noprobe layerfs=aufs pfix=ram PMEDIA=usbflash 
initrd /ripple/initrd.gz
reboot, select ripple from grub menu, then all defaults till
xorg>select 800x480x24 NOT 800x480x16>compriz-fuzion> select manual not auto>intel> after the arrow pointer wait perhaps 15 sec.
This is exacty what works for me, change ANYTHING and you are in test mode and may fail to boot.
posted in ripple06-2 via wifi.

thanks Dinky its wonderful.

dinky

#45 Post by dinky »

@rhadon
Can you post exactly what you've tried to get Ripple running on your eeepc 900? this includes all configuration options... where you're booting it from, etc. While it's highly possible the 900 series needs more support for Ripple, it's also possible there's an easy answer that's being overlooked. Cheers

@aarf
Glad it's working. Those commands for your grub line look like they come from eeetiger... very familiar. Not sure if all are necessary. I found the default for usb installation in puppy 4.1.1 worked fine, after choosing the mbr.syslinux option. The defaults are:

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy nosmp
In my grub config file for my internal flash (recognized as ataflash) I'm using:

title Ripple
	root (0x80,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz ide=nodma pmedia=ataflash pfix=copy nosmp
	initrd /boot/initrd.gz
Which is basically the same thing. aarf, can you try this for me and see if it works? I'm really keen to know. (just back up your old file)
Interesting about 800x480x24... that's always the one I've chosen so it's possible it's that simple... will try i a bit. Also, after trying the above in your grub line, can you choose 800x480x24, and Auto configuration with the compiz wizard? Not sure exactly what the manual configuration really does in the wizard except tombh tod me it doesn't actualy work... Thanks so much for posting this, and for helping with the testing, Cheers.
~dinky

EDIT: aarf you're a genius! Thanks so much for spending the time with this, Actually, the problem seems to be choosing the xorg resolutuions... it IS bombing out with compiz-fusion. For some reasons there are issues on the eeepc (and others, I suspect) using compiz-fusion for the windows manager with Xorg x16 resolution. I tried it now and my laptop hung. You need to choose x24 resolution with xorg. For instance, with the eeepc 701, it's 800x480x24, not 800x480x16. Could we get some testers with eeepc 900's to check this? I bet it's the same for them also. I always use the highest resolution I can, though it's not recommended. I'll look into why this happens later... keep in mind Ripple really is breaking new ground, I don't think using Compiz-Fusion as the window manager has been done before, so there are bound to be more bugs. Ripple onwards!

aarf

#46 Post by aarf »

Yes dinky i have the impression that the 800x480x24 selection is (the) critical selection. Am exhausted from testing today, will do more another time but for now ripple goes so i am going to rest.

37fleetwood

#47 Post by 37fleetwood »

I haven't gone back and played with it any more yet but here's what I have:
Nvidia 7600GS video card
Envision G19LWk 19" LCD monitor @1440x900 60mhz
2.53Ghz Pentium4
1.5gig ram
200gig primary hdd with dual boot Windows XP Pro., and Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
500gig secondary hdd with NTFS partition
Scott 8)

rhadon

#48 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

:lol: IT WORKS :lol:

for writing down exact which combinations I tested, and animated by aarf's post I found the right combination for eee 900:

xorg 1024x600x24, select manual, Intel and it works.
Stupid. :oops: I tried a lot of combinations, but this one seemingly not.

Now I'm ready for the next challenges.

Thank you all.

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

aarf

#49 Post by aarf »

Day isn't over yet. remember the riddle of the .sfs'es from eeeTiger, well its back.
have both puppy4.1.1 and ripple in separate folders on my usb flash.
this is posted from the backend of 4.1.1 which loaded in preference to its own .sfs the pup411ripple.sfs, needs 800x480x24 and will boot with auto config in compriz fusion.
Possibly the problem is with the names of both .sfs beginning with pup_411 ie. pup_411.sfs and pup_411ripple.sfs

so some people may be without if they cant get the ripple to boot when they have 4.1.1 going before but now cant boot at all.

aarf

#50 Post by aarf »

dinky wrote: @aarf
Glad it's working. Those commands for your grub line look like they come from eeetiger... very familiar. Not sure if all are necessary. I found the default for usb installation in puppy 4.1.1 worked fine, after choosing the mbr.syslinux option. The defaults are:

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy nosmp
In my grub config file for my internal flash (recognized as ataflash) I'm using:

title Ripple
	root (0x80,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz ide=nodma pmedia=ataflash pfix=copy nosmp
	initrd /boot/initrd.gz
Which is basically the same thing. aarf, can you try this for me and see if it works? I'm really keen to know. (just back up your old file)
Interesting about 800x480x24... that's always the one I've chosen so it's possible it's that simple... will try i a bit. Also, after trying the above in your grub line, can you choose 800x480x24, and Auto configuration with the compiz wizard? Not sure exactly what the manual configuration really does in the wizard except tombh tod me it doesn't actualy work... Thanks so much for posting this, and for helping with the testing, Cheers.
~dinky
please type exactly what you want me to try so I can copy and paste it on to my menu.lst . Noting that my files are in folder /ripple on an external Usb flash which also has the grub stuff.. My EeePC file system is xandros as store/shop bought. I tried guessing what you wanted but it didnt boot.