Ripple Releases (Puppy with Compiz-fusion, more)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rhadon

#271 Post by rhadon »

aarf wrote:there is a difficulty in determining what graphics card is actually in an unknown computer. else it would be easier to test ripple in icafes or showrooms.
With Woof Alpha2 I get the right info of my graphics card in the area 'PCI device' from Hardinfo :wink:
Maybe this helps.

~ Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

dinky

#272 Post by dinky »

What kernel is Barry using for woof Alpha2? Havn't gotten around to making a build from it myself yet. My plan is to use woof to make the Ubuntu version, then see if I can get compiz-fusion with the Ripple scripts working on it. I think we might solve some of our issues with packages from the ubuntu repositories regarding support for the atom chipsets... as wwell as other hardware issues. Will be a heck of a lot easier to find packages and test what works at any rate. Anyone keen to have a go before I get to it I'm happy to provide support. It might be another week or so before I can play around much. Cheers.

dinky

aarf

#273 Post by aarf »

rhadon wrote: With Woof Alpha2 I get the right info of my graphics card in the area 'PCI device' from Hardinfo :wink:
Maybe this helps.

~ Rolf
Thanks rhadon. ripple hardinfo looks like the attached image, which means nothing too me. is it that the info is only available in woof or do i need to interpret something.
Attachments
PCI.png
(92.57 KiB) Downloaded 1109 times

rhadon

#274 Post by rhadon »

@ dinky
Woof Alpha2 is build with kernel 2.6.27.4.
I have just only tested the iso. For now there are only Slackware, Woof and Puppy repos available.

@ aarf
This info I found only by Woof. Not with Puppy 4.2 and not with Ripple.

Glad to help
Rolf
Attachments
Hardinfo-Woof_2.png
(88.91 KiB) Downloaded 435 times

dinky

#275 Post by dinky »

Awesome. Woof alpha2 supports the package repositories form whatever distro it's built from... technically. It's only been tested on Slackware so far, but should work in theory for Ubuntu, Debian, etc.

Rolf, can you find the compiz thread, and follow tombh's instructions getting compiz fusion to work for woof alpha2's slackware iso? try and find the packages he recommends from slackware's repositories though... I think this might fix some of our problems. It would be useful to find out which versions of xorg are available from slackware, and which version we currently have in Puppy.

I'd recommend, rather than installing a windows manager that supports compositing, to copy the /usr/sbin/ripple script over and use that. You'll need to install cairo-dock for this. Good luck, and let me know how you go.

~dinky

rhadon

#276 Post by rhadon »

dinky wrote:...and follow tombh's instructions getting compiz fusion to work for woof alpha2's slackware iso?
are you sure? Everything tombh wrote here in this forum since End of Nov.08 was posted in the Ripple section. I found nothing about Woof and compiz. Maybe you mean NewYearsPup and MU?

~Rolf
Edit: Since today Lobster is trying get compiz working with Woof2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39195

aarf

#277 Post by aarf »

rhadon wrote:
dinky wrote:...and follow tombh's instructions getting compiz fusion to work for woof alpha2's slackware iso?
are you sure? Everything tombh wrote here in this forum since End of Nov.08 was posted in the Ripple section. I found nothing about Woof and compiz. Maybe you mean NewYearsPup and MU?

~Rolf
Edit: Since today Lobster is trying get compiz working with Woof2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39195
this one ?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32242

rhadon

#278 Post by rhadon »

Hi aarf,
I don't think so, because as I understand the problem with Atom chipset it's a problem of xorg7.3 instead of xorg7.4.
This thread is about Puppy till 4.1.2 with xorg7.3
Anyhow thank's for the answer.

@ dinky
with slackware pckage finder http://slackfind.net/en/
I can only find:
xorg-cf-files-1.0.2-noarch-1 (also in repo slackware-12.2-official of Woof)
xorg-server-1.3.0.0-i486-2 and
xorg-server-xvfb-1.4.0.90-i486-1

Rolf

dinky

#279 Post by dinky »

I had thought of using that thread aarf pointed you to, even though it's for an earlier version of xorg. i thought some of the same idea might have carried across... worth a try. Anyway, it's hard to know what, if anything, would be the equivalent within the slackware packages...

Looks like Lobster gave up on Compiz-fusion, finding it too hard. 2 other possibilities... look at Slackware and see how they are running compiz-fusion.... look at New Years Pup and look at either using (possibly difficult as we might need the later kernel) their xorg, or figuring out how to compile the latest version ourself. No idea what we'd need to do to get compositing working with various cards under 7.4. There may be documentation from it in the Xorg project, there may not be, tombh's thread may shed some light on it.

If you get a chance, see how you go tracking down the latest xorg, and what our options are: using a later kernel, rebuilding from woof, compiling a new xorg ourselves, etc. I think this is the first step, and we'll work on compiz from there. Cheers.

~dinky

rhadon

#280 Post by rhadon »

Hi dinky,

it should be possible to use xorg7.4 with our kernel, i think this post from wow is a good start:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=121
Quote:
Can the xorg from this puppy work on other puppies? If so what must be done to get it to work?

Yes, it should work (I compiled it in Puppy-4.10) as long as you have these dependencies already installed: dbus-1.2.6, dbus-glib-0.78, hal-0.5.11, hal-info (any recent package) and udev-130. If you want 3D acceleration: Mesa-7.2, drm-2.3.1(libs and kernel modules)
In this post wow also offers his xorg-7.4 binary package (maybe the best solution). My problem: I have no clue how to install/compile it. :oops:
Kirk describes how to config xorg7.4 without HAL here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=33

Today I build a SlackPuppy from tarball with Woof alpha2. It works :D (my very first Puppy from tarball).
Great adventage: you can choose to build it with kernel2.6.25.16 or 2.6.27.4.
Then I tried to install CF. Installing was successful but it doesn't work because some libs and dependencies are missing. So I must find out were to find and maybe how to install (if not possible with Package Manager).
Also like to try it based on Ubuntu but too much all at once.
The speed of developing Woof is really impressing!
I believe Ripple made by Woof would be great! But I have no clue is it possible or when.
That's all for now (I'm tired)

~ Rolf

dinky

#281 Post by dinky »

Great! Thanks Rhadon. Really good work. I'm likley to use woof for the next build of Ripple. will play around with that more, and xorg, when I get the chance. Cheers.

~dinky

Indras

Ripple on ASUS Eeepc 900A

#282 Post by Indras »

I cannot get Ripple working properly on the EeePC 900A. Near as I can tell, nobody else has reported problems with this. The 900A may have a different screen or video driver, but whatever the case, I simply cannot select 24 bit color.

I have a full Windows XP Install on the SSD, so I was looking for a fast distro to install on the SD card for home use. I can't remove the XP, since I use it at work, but frankly, I cannot stand how sluggish everything is. Oh, and just as an FYI, in Windows XP with the ASUS drivers, the screen displays in 1024x600x32. I can select 1024x768, but the desktop then scrolls for the other 168 pixels, which is annoying.

Anyway, when booting up Ripple (with no pup saves, just off a USB stick), the Xorgwizard runs. I select 1024x600 LCD screen. Then, I select 1024x600x24 and Test. The test runs properly. Then, for the compiz setup, I select "Manual" and then "Intel." It starts up the X server, I even get the little black X and I can move the cursor for a split second, then it drops to CLI. I've tried all sorts of other settings, like 800x600x24, 1024x768x24. No matter what I select, when I hit "test", it picks 1024x600x16. And you can't run Compiz on 16 bit color. The only way I can get a GUI is to use JWM, which is practically useless, since I have no window borders. Gets to be a pain in the butt to have to open a terminal and kill off a process just to close a window that I cannot move.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to try a stock version of Puppy 4.1.2 to see what results I get from it.

dinky

#283 Post by dinky »

Hi Indras. Keep in mind Ripple is still very experimental, and I haven't had much time to take it further. That said, I think Ripple works with the 900a. Try again, however DON'T choose the test option, and don't manually select the driver for Compiz-Fusion. If it works, it will be auto detected. You're right, you need 24 bit color. It's possible choosing test is stuffing something up. Ripple isn't configured to use jwm by default yet, though that's on the cards. Currently if you cant use compiz-fusion, you don't have a windows manager. good luck.

~dinky

rhadon

#284 Post by rhadon »

Hi Indra,

on myEeePc900 Ripple works fine. One difference to your model is the processor: 900 has Celeron, 900A has Atom. I don't know if there is a difference between graphic cards or not. If you know something about your graphics card, please post.

If X is down and I want to use jwm, the first time I must use 'xwin jwm' instead of 'xwin' to get borders and jwm working. Changing back to Compiz I must run 'xorgwizard' then 'cfwizard' then typing 'xwin cf'. But this is only like a workaround because Ripple without Compiz Fusion is no Ripple (my opinion).

greetings
Rolf

Indras

#285 Post by Indras »

Dinky/Rhadon:

Thank you both for the quick replies. I just finished putting Ripple back on my USB pen via Unetbootin, and got it booted up. I'm at the Unetbootin grub menu atm, so I'll go through this step by step.

Booting the kernel...
Select PS/2 for mouse (I have a USB mouse that I usually use, but I want to keep to a basic hardware setup for now) -> OK
Select US for keyboard -> OK
Select Xorg
(probing hardware)
Select B2, LCD Panel 1024x600 -> OK
Select 1024x600x24 (even though this dialog box suggests 1024x600x16 as a good choice in red at the top) -> OK
Start cfwizard, select Auto
Screen flickers, get a little black X in the middle of the screen, boom, back to CLI

(Just for grins this time, I tried Ctrl-Alt-F7 to see if maybe xorg was running but it just switched back to TTY1 for some bizarre reason, and it locked up. I have a blinking white cursor in the top left of the screen, but no keyboard functions seem to work.)

Anyway, are there any suggestions? There's no chance of being able to burn the ISO to CD and booting that way, I don't have an external CD-ROM drive. I really doubt that Unetbootin is the problem though, all distros that I've tried seem to handle it perfectly.

Maybe a log file would help?

dinky

#286 Post by dinky »

I think the issue is with the atom card, or more specifically whatever part of that is handling the graphics. We need to update to xorg 7.4, as 7.3 doesn't work with this chipset. So we've been told anyway. There's some more information on this a few posts ago on this forum, I haven't had the time yet to follow this up. I don't think you'll be able to get Ripple to work until we do this. Will post more when we know it. Cheers.

~dinky

dinky

#287 Post by dinky »

I'd like to build the next version of Ripple from woof, using the Ubuntu repos for the build. One of the advantages of this is that the version of Ubuntu this is based on is Intrepid, which uses Xorg 7.4 by default. Hopefully this will solve our problems with the atom chipset cards for the netbook computers.

I was playing around with the ubuntu puppy iso the other night, and couldn't figure for the life of me what needs to happen to enable dri support... until rolf messaged me saying that dri i enabled by default, and pointed me to the line where it's disabled in puppy...lol. Will have a look later, and see what I come up with.

Woof is still very much in Alpha, but advancing very rapidly, my hope is that by the time I get my stuff together to make a build, woof will be ready for it. So I'm about to make a build from woof stripped of as much unnecessary puppy stuff as necessary, then to see how we can get compiz-fusion going on top of that. I'll post up the changes to the package I've made, the xorg file, and the iso later. For now I've got a very chatty 2 and a half year old needing a run in the park. Cheers,

~dinky

dinky

#288 Post by dinky »

2 year old asleep (or at least in bed), here are the changes I'm making to the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu file, that dictates what packages are downloaded and installed. I haven't added anything at this point, only cut out unneeded extras. Partly because I don't need them, partly to see if I can actually do it... the next step will be adding in the extras we want... firefox, vlc, etc.

You can find the file here (marked DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntuEDIT):
http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ripple/test

It's the same as the original script from woof alpha2, though for the packages I won't include, I've marked them

Code: Select all

##-
and for the packages not puppy default I'll include, they are

##+
It would be great for some knowledgeable people to have a look at the xorg packages that are being installed, and see if they've any clues re getting compiz-fusion to work. I'll post up an iso built from this tomorrow.

The vanilla (virgin?) xorg.conf0 file straight from the intrepid puppy iso that barry built is here:

I've also created a pet package for tombh's wNOPinspect script, now appropriately titled rippleinspect. The file to download is rippleinspect.pet

Testing now, and it's working, but does funky things when compiz-fusion is running. Can you take a look at this tom? I can't work out if it should be running like this, or doing something else. Haven't tested it when compiz-fusion isn't working yet. The idea iis if you can't get compiz-fusion running, run

rippleinspect
from a terminal, and attach the output with your next post.

Ok, think that's everything. have at it folks.

~dinky

aarf

#289 Post by aarf »

if we're going woof and ubuntu. we might also want to go to
https://launchpad.net/+tour/bugs
When projects share free software code they share its bugs. Inevitably, the same bug is reported and discussed in different places.

Launchpad brings the discussion to you: on one page you can see how the bug affects different communities, whether they're tracking the bug in Launchpad, Bugzilla, Trac, Sourceforge, or elsewhere. You can even share a comment history across project-boundaries, bringing everyone together to find a fix.
from Canonical Ltd. although it does concern me having all this stuff in just one place.

dinky

#290 Post by dinky »

That's a great idea. I think though, using both Ubuntu and Puppy together means we have options... for instance, the printing support truly sucks in Intrepid, and is buggy. Recently I've downgraded my desktop system to Hardy Heron, the previous, and long term service release. If we use the puppy printing package however, we'll be fine...

I agree though, whatever distro we use, be it Arch, Ubuntu, Slackware, or Puppy, will have it's unique set of bugs to deal with. Part and parcel of any project.

Still trying to sort out this xorg hurdle. I'm not wanting to build another release of Ripple until this is fixed. I've been hoping Woof will become mature enough for the next build, but it's not there yet. We might have to look at other ways of getting xorg working with 7.4 until woof is ready. Anyway, Barry said the next release of woof, alpha 3, is due out Monday or Tuesday, with lots of fixes and changes. I'm out the door to a gig shortly, but will hopefully have some time Sunday to look at all this. If anyone is able to magically put together an xorg package for 7.4 with the current kernel of Ripple, I can work on the next build, and save woof for another release. Otherwise, will be a bit longer while I sort this out. Would be great to have some more people testing the latest version of Ripple, specifically running the rippleinspect pet I posted on the forums here when it's not working properly. The link again is here:
http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ripple/test/

Latest iso (06-5) is here:
http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ ... /test_iso/