Ripple Releases (Puppy with Compiz-fusion, more)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dinky

#61 Post by dinky »

ripple_06-3.iso now out... this is the first test release to attempt support for Nvidia and propriety ATI drivers. See the development thread here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=60

Iso available here: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ ... /test_iso/
I'll mirror it tomorrow. PLEASE post in the development thread above, NOT here! This is a development release only. Cheers.

~dinky

rhadon

#62 Post by rhadon »

@dinky

Code: Select all

My pet replaces /usr/sbin/cups_shell, and I forgot to set the permissions. Run this command to fix your menu entires: Code:
chmod 775 /usr/sbin/cups_shell
Works fine. Thank you
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

rhadon

#63 Post by rhadon »

Hi,
found a small disharmony on my EeePc900 with ripple 6-2 and 6-3:
sometimes new windows are greater than the actual workspace, so a part of the window appears in another workspace.
Also sometimes a new window appears completely in another workspace, not in the actual were it should happen.But as I said, not a great problem.

@37fleetwood (maybe a little bit off topic)
I have read an older post from you about truecrypt.Here I found truecrypt6.1 and by a small test it works fine with ripple:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 370#251277
That's all for the moment
Rolf
Attachments
ripple1-2.jpg
Greater windows than workspace
(55.7 KiB) Downloaded 446 times

Aitch

#64 Post by Aitch »

Dinky/other eeepc 900/901 users

Maybe this hardware looksee will be useful, as I believe it's a 900

http://content.techrepublic.com.com/234 ... 12471.html

Aitch :)

dinky

#65 Post by dinky »

Thanks Aitch!

@rhadon
great news about truecrupt, I'll aim to put it in for the next release. Re the windows, that's a problem I've only found work arounds for, no real fixes. The desktop wall is one way to manage this... ie. oom out when the windows are bigger than you'd like. The other way is with the home+f binding. This makes windows fullscreen, and usable. Give it a go. Particularly needed for ccsm, otherwise realy difficult to choose any options. I'm sure there are other ways, and if you trawl through the compiz-fusion forums you're bound to find a tutorial pointing you there. Let me know if you find an actual fix, or better workaround. Cheers!
~dinky

37fleetwood

#66 Post by 37fleetwood »

Hi, sorry i still haven't played around with Ripple more yet. I just wanted to say that i can't imagine that people wanting to use Puppy on a laptop would not want truecrypt. it has been my biggest fear that if I ever lost my laptop, I would have some weirdo using my e-mail to contact my customers about their photos (I'm a photographer) anyway all kinds of things most people never seem to add to their Puplets :?:
@rhadon I did get truecrypt 6.0 going fine with some work.
Scott 8)

dinky

#67 Post by dinky »

Haven't tried it on puppy 4.1.1, but you should be able to encryt your pup_save file when you create it. This means you will need to enter a password each time you boot up. Doesn't help for anything outside the save file, so I'm looking forward to using truecrypt. Currently I use a bios password, which is not foolproof, and simply don't have things on my laptop I don't want others reading....lol. But you're right, will be a great feature to have built it.
~dinky

37fleetwood

#68 Post by 37fleetwood »

I don't mean to get too off track here but the pupsave file is only up to around a gig, for photos I need a bigger solution. and I think if you thought about it you might rethink whether you had something you didn't want somebody else having, say all your e-mails and addresses, any banking perhaps, accounts such as your Puppy forum account, etc. maybe nothing embarrassing but definitely possibilities for inconvenience at least. anyway being generally lazy I like to save passwords and have opera or firefox plug them in for me, I also like having a list of phone numbers addresses and such, it's just easier encrypting it and remembering one password and knowing no one else can get in.
Scott 8)

rhadon

#69 Post by rhadon »

Hi,
in the german section MU wrote, that he also had used a pupsave file with about 3GB, and that it's an incorrect information, that they may not be bigger than about 1.8 GB. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0e188e65a1
At least, I will not imagine how long it takes to decrypt and load such a big file and again if shutting down.
Rolf

aarf

#70 Post by aarf »

Multiple encrypted pup_saves are supported. And you have to back them up somewhere else just like everything else.
Last edited by aarf on Mon 24 Nov 2008, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

dinky

#71 Post by dinky »

Hmmm. Email on Imap, passwords encrypted in thunderbird, very few passwords saved in mozilla...lol. You're right Scott, it would suck if I lost my laptop, but would be fine. I don't save things like banking passwords for that reason.

I don't recommend using the pupsave file for encryption. Mainly because it's only really useful for small amounts of data. Sure... 3gb may be possible, but it's still not 60gb. Also, I've found it truly a bugger to try and get into an encrypted pup_save file (which I suppose is the point), even if you KNOW the password, once it becomes corrupted and won't boot. At least in 3.01, I haven't tried the latest puppy.

My advice is to have your system files saved in a pup_save file, 512 Mb is plenty, and personally I wouldn't bother encrypting it. Most applications (firefox, thunderbird) have some sort of encryption technology in any event, and for the ones that don't I'm not that fussed about. I would recommend placing either the entire /root directory, or at least /root/my-documents outside of the save file in any event, which means encryption of the pupsave becomes fairly useless. For usb systems under a couple gig this might be a different story, but for main systems (my laptop for instance) I wouldn't bother. 'Spose this is one reason I haven't tested encryption in puppy 4.1.1

So my point is that Truecrypt is a great idea, and I'll look into including it for the next version of Ripple. For the record, Ripple already comes with bcrypt (just type bcrypt on the commandline), though I've yet to try it out. Those bloody user docs again... Thanks mate,

~dinky

aarf

#72 Post by aarf »

dinky wrote:The other way is with the home+f binding. This makes windows fullscreen, and usable. Give it a go. Particularly needed for ccsm, otherwise realy difficult to choose any options.
~dinky
this is critical non-intuative advice that needs to be high profile in any documentation.

rhadon

#73 Post by rhadon »

Hi,
it's silly, but Home+f doesn't work for me. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes the cursor changes its position e.g. in this thread to the bottom, highlighting the field 'All Topics', next hit highlighting the field 'Last post' and so on.

Remembering the first post in this thread I tested all the other combinations with 'Home': nothing works.
For cycling through windows I use Ctrl + Alt + left arrow / right arrow.
Ctrl + Alt + f also don't work.

For clarification: the 'Home'-key is the 3.key from the left in the last row of the keyboard, between the 'Fn'-key and 'Alt', with the 'Windows'-sign . Right?.

Maybe it's a basic difference between model 7xx and 900 ?
Or am I too stupid for this problem? (please be courteous by the answer)
Are there any other Eee 900- users in this section?
Some questions, much confusion. Any solution, advice, experience, idea?
Rolf

aarf

#74 Post by aarf »

rhadon wrote:Hi,
it's silly, but Home+f doesn't work for me .....
For clarification: the 'Home'-key is the 3.key from the left in the last row of the keyboard, between the 'Fn'-key and 'Alt'...
Rolf
on 701. yes that is correct. Perhaps try with no pup_save you may have inadvertantly changed something somewhere. Else you might have to go looking through the fusion settings for this setting. Yes i know how difficult to do that will be.
Edit: compriz>general>general options(try double clicking if it doesnt go to a screen that includes a menu that says>) >display settings > overlapping output handling select "prefer smaller output".
From this screen if you select the arrow in the top right hand menu list more tabs appear. "key binding " tab has, if you scroll down, "maximise window vertically" among others. Havent played in that tab to check the actions though.

dinky

#75 Post by dinky »

Agreed about the documentation. It definitely needs to be written for a full-featured, stable ripple. I would love some help with this. My plan is to put it into the html doc that loads at system start.. if you click on the 'click here for more info'. Anyway. Weird Rhadon. There must be some reason for it, it should work. Compiz is compiz is compiz. Are the other effects working? What happens when you drag your mouse cursor to the top left and top right of the screen? Is compiz-fusion running? Otherwise, try aarf's suggestions... in ram. To use compiz settings manager without this shortcut, right click the window once open and choose 'unmaximize'. THen you can play around with the settings. Otherwise, did your md5sum match up with the iso? Cheers.
~dinky

aarf

#76 Post by aarf »

@rhadon choose the default keyboard with no pupsave. I Cant get the home+f to work if german is chosen.

aarf

#77 Post by aarf »

@dinky perhaps if you launched a wikimedia at curiouslegends it would be easier to get help with documentation.

dinky

#78 Post by dinky »

That's a great idea! A wiki page for Ripple would really work well. A bit unsure how to go about it... Can I just use Wikipedia to build it?

I followed that link, but am no closer to learning about what's involved to get that up on the web. Cheers.
~dinky

aarf

#79 Post by aarf »

dinky wrote:That's a great idea! A wiki page for Ripple would really work well. A bit unsure how to go about it... Can I just use Wikipedia to build it?

I followed that link, but am no closer to learning about what's involved to get that up on the web. Cheers.
~dinky
yes I guess that you could do it at wikipedia but i assumed you would want last say privileges. I also assumed it was the same as downloading and installing other software to your site. haven't done a wikipedia install myself but have seen it at many place.

cant open these site at the momment myself but it is a start to look for the download at .

wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Download

www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download
download.wikimedia.org

you may need a mysql/php enabled website too but as i said i cant get the download to check at present.

perhaps start at wikipedia and then maybe do it yourself later.

prit1

#80 Post by prit1 »

Dinky,

You can also use PmWiki which is a easy wiki software.
http://www.pmwiki.org/

I am using this for Pritlog here:
http://hardkap.net/pritlog/pmwiki.php

This is text based and does not require MySQL database.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]