Ripple Releases (Puppy with Compiz-fusion, more)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rhadon

#81 Post by rhadon »

@ aarf + dinky
Thank you for your answers, they were helpful.

First the basics:
md5sum was OK, CF is running:
Mooving on top left of the screen I see 4 workspaces und can choose one by highlighting and moving again to top left.
Top right shows all open windows where I can choose one.
Mooving to the sides should rotate cube (simple ccsm),cube is selected, but nothing happens.
All I tried, I did it with and without pup_save-file. No difference.
aarf, you're right. Home + f works with us- keyboard driver. And thank you for guiding through Compiz manager to the key settings. Grabbing key combination doesn't work with Home-key, so I use Alt+f instead.For me it works even better than Home- key on us-keyboard driver because with Home+f I get windows in Fullscreen mode without boarders and so without option for minimize, maximize and so on.
Home+Tab didn't work, no matter which keyboard driver. I use Ctrl+Alt+ arrow left/right. Works on both drivers.
Finding out, what is possible with CF and what's not will take a long time. So for now I can live with this workaround.

The other problem, that new windows appear in another workspace I can only reproduce by the program truecrypt 6.1, as I posted before.
It happens after starting truecrypt and clicking at 'Select file'.
If it will be the only program, where this happens maybe it's a problem by the program itself.No matter what's the cause, I also can live with.

That is all for now. Thank you again for both of you
Rolf

If anybody is interested, here's a picture:
Attachments
ripple1-4.jpg
The 2. window appears in the bottom left workspace.
(51.61 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

dinky

#82 Post by dinky »

Thanks Prit1, I'm uploading Pmwiki to my site now. Great idea, so once it's up and runnigin we'll have some proper documentation. Will likely still be a few days before I'm able to customize it.

@Rhadon, if settings aren't working within simple-ccsm, go into the main configuration, ccsm. It's not that hard. I found it really fun to explore, just look at the bindings to see how everything works. The main part you'll be interested is the 'desktop cube'. Enable it, and you'll be asked if you want to disable other plugins not compatible with it. You'll also want to go into 'general settings', and change the size of your virtual desktops. I'd recommend 4 across and 2 high (you'll see what I mean), so that you can still see any windows that place themselves off the sreen by zooming out. Good luck with it, and lease post again if you need any help. Find ccsm under 'Compiz Icon' and 'Configure Compiz' button on the dockbar. As soon as you get in, hit home+F, or else it's a nightmare. Good luck. I've found no fix for windows appearing on other desktops occasionally, let me know if you find one.

~dinky

rhadon

#83 Post by rhadon »

Hi,
today I played around configuring Compiz for about 5 hours and I'm deep impressed!
Before I scratched here a little bit, there a little bit, without coherence and overwhelmed by all the possibilities. Without configuring anything, eeetiger and ripple looks great, no question. But now ....
Found finally my favorite key-combination: Ctrl+Alt+left mouse button. All time before I thought, this picture is not possible by my graphics card!
So I think, I'm on my way now.Thank you for all, getting me to that.

2 small questions, if there is an easy answer (don't waste time, if it's difficult):

Is it possible to put windows on top and bottom of the cube?
What's about 'cube atlantis' or 'cube gear' in Section 'Effects' ?
If I activate, nothing happens.

For all, have a nice day.
Rolf

dinky

#84 Post by dinky »

Haven't played around with those plugins at all. And to my knowledge, while you can put pictures on top and bottom of the cube, you can't ut windows there. You CAN tell your cube to have as many sides as you want, from 3 upwards. Hexagons look cool. Cheers.
~dinky

rhadon

#85 Post by rhadon »

@ dinky
Hi, if you are further interested by the Freemem-applet I posted earlier:
By clicking with right mousebutton on it, you can run partview if installed (Ilike it).
By interest you can find the .pet here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ebfd251b49
I'm not shure, because it needs Tcl/Tk, you also can find there.
Rolf

aarf

#86 Post by aarf »

Dinky. Intro at the wiki sounds good. Just do the side menus and let it fly. Others have the time and inclination to assist in fleshing it out.

dinky

#87 Post by dinky »

Thanks Rhadon, I'll look at adding that for the next release, it's a great idea.

Cheers aarf. I really appreciate your encouragement. It's a bit uninspiring to think of all the work that needs to be done with ripple, when things like documentation on the wiki are included... I've been hoping I can set it up and have others help build it. I'll work on it tonight. Cheers mate.

~dinky

dinky

#88 Post by dinky »

Wiki is now up and active! You'll need to follow the link on the sidebar to 'User Docs' to be able to edit anything and add pages: content of the main page is locked. If you'd like me to add a link to the sidebar, or anything to the front page, pm me here. Have at it people! Thanks again for everyone's enthusiasm. Link to the Ripple Wiki is here:

http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ripple/Wiki

edit: Feel free to create any other pages you like. If anyone wants to make a blog of their use of Ripple, let me know and I'll add it to the main sidebar. Cheers!

LaneLester

#89 Post by LaneLester »

dinky wrote:Wiki is now up and active!
Looks nice! Do you want to have a "Download" link in the sidebar?

Lane

Aitch

#90 Post by Aitch »

Well done dinky

I'm sure there'll be lots of helpers

maybe one will put a 'j' in "exciting proect" as I don't have editorial p/w :wink:

Don't worry, just joshin', we all do typos, but still - spit & polish, eh?

Aitch :)

jtouso

Ripple and internet

#91 Post by jtouso »

Wonderfull with my intel graphic chart...
Doing when starts the order puppy pfix=ram and choosing x24 colors
But...I can´t find the icon to connect at internet or how to do it. I am using a router and with this ripple I can´t find the manner. Help please
Waiting tonight to try with my other pc with Ati 9550 graphic chart.

rhadon

#92 Post by rhadon »

Hi jtouso.
this worked for me:
Hit F9, then the penguin. In the menu select Setup and you get the Network Wizard.
Hope that helps.

Rolf

aarf

#93 Post by aarf »

rhadon wrote:Hi jtouso.
this worked for me:
Hit F9, then the penguin. In the menu select Setup and you get the Network Wizard.
Hope that helps.

Rolf
else go into /usr/local/apps/ and drag the connect icon to the desktop then you wont lose it.

aarf

#94 Post by aarf »

Edit: We really should have a launcher for the Network Wizard or WizardWizard in the Internet launcher or somewhere else on the dock.
Launcher code for Network Wizard is

Code: Select all

net-setup.sh
I am using a copy of the connect icon as the launcher image. <attached>
Attachments
connect1.png
(3.25 KiB) Downloaded 854 times
Last edited by aarf on Sat 29 Nov 2008, 09:03, edited 2 times in total.

jtouso

#95 Post by jtouso »

Thanks...it works (F9) and I am writing after conecction with Firefox and Ripple

jtouso

#96 Post by jtouso »

Btw...what is the difference between 0.6-2 and the test iso 0.6-3?
Thanks

aarf

#97 Post by aarf »

jtouso wrote:Btw...what is the difference between 0.6-2 and the test iso 0.6-3?
Thanks
very little if you have an intel card, it is mainly a test for different types of card support that dinky has added in 06-3.

@dinky perhaps if you edit the first page of this thread to say that other cards are now test supported, you may get more people to test 06-3 and not just stop reading when they read that their cards are not support.

rhadon

#98 Post by rhadon »

Hi,
I've a problem, installing ripple 6.3 with ATI-card (see signature).
After configuring xorgwizard the compiz fusion logo appears for a few seconds on a white background then I only have a cursor (arrow) on the screen.

CF works: moving cursor to the top left, expo-plugin appears with 4 workspaces but only consistent dark grey, the selected one turns to white.
Dockbar and widget-layer appearing in the same way, white rectangles on a grey background.
If I shut down xorg (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace), the backdrop (grey tiger) appears for a small part of a second.

I used 1440x900x24, Test button in xorg shows a fine picture and I tried both ATI drivers. After the driver is configured, I must start xwin manually. With other resolutions the same problem.

It's not an urgent problem for me, because my favorite is the EeePc and there ripple works fine.

Have a nice day
Rolf

dinky

#99 Post by dinky »

Fantastic folks! Thanks so much for all your posts, and to all the people editing the wiki. I'll add the new links to the how-to guide and installation instructions soon. The user docs are a bit messy right now, very happy for someone to suggest a cleaner way for them to be organized.

You wouldn't beleive how hard it is for me to post at the moment! I've currently my 2 month old daughter strapped to my chest asleep so finally have some time to write. I'm following these threads as you post, but it's not always possible for me to answer immediately.

Right. So that bloody support for the wireless connection. Point taken by everyone, it's an innane place to have it where it is. There IS currently a connection for it on the dockbar, but it's too hard to find. Currently it's under 'stats' on the dockbar, by right clicking on the wireless icon, choosing 'wifi', and then 'network administration'. I'll leave it there for the next release, but point taken, it needs to also be somewhere more obvious. I'll make an icon under 'utilities' on the dockbar so people can actually find it next time.

I'll fix that typo soon Aitch, thanks for pointing it out to me. Spit and polish is important. There won't be many pages uneditable in the Wiki, just the home, official downloads, and admin. I want everyone who's interested to be able to create Ripple.

I'm thinking of posting up the unleashed packages and config files on the wiki so others can also make builds from unleashed... really easy to do. Would be great to have a team of us working on this. Who's interested? We can move Ripple ahead much faster like this.

Re downloads, there's no page yet, but there will be. The 'official' download page will be locked, however you can always upload your own files to any page that's not locked, or that you create. The password for this is

Code: Select all

ripple-upload

@rhadon
I've answered your question in the development thread, please check there. Hopefully we'll get your card going, and include it in the next release.

@aarf
thanks for your tip, I'll edit the first page so people know about the test version iso soon.

Cheers folks!
~dinky

rhadon

#100 Post by rhadon »

dinky wrote:Did you sort your ATI graphics card?
In XP it's recognized as ATI Mobility Radeon 9700.
Puppy 3.01 sees a RVT350 Mobility Radeon 9600 M10 card.
In CFWizard it's the same as in 3.01

dinky wrote:So first step, try Ripple 06-2 as a test bed.
It works :oops: basically.
The problem: I always have a black vertical line near the middle of the screen. It's not a problem of Ripple, I get this issue since Puppy 4.0 ( 4.1 and 4.1.1). See pic."expo,black_line.jpg" below.
On the left side there is also a distortion: it's an offset for 1 line. The line begins and after distortion, it's continuing 1 line down.

Starting Ripple 06-3, in xorgwizard there's the right test picture (with black line) but configuring cfwizard, cf-logo appears on a blank screen (without black line). See pic. "cf-logo.jpg"
By pressing F9 I get white rectangels instead of the widgets and the dockbar on a blank grey background. See pic "rectangles.jpg".
What is curious: Running cfwizard again (wthout booting) and selecting JWM, I get the right backdrop with widget-layers and dockbar,without black line. See pic. "JWM_without_black_line.jpg"

I tested it several times, everytime the same result.
If there is anything more that I can test, I will do. Of course, I want to solve this problem and I'm glad if it helps to build a more stable next release, but for me it's no need to hurry up.
Rolf
Attachments
rectangles.JPG
(162.5 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
cf-logo.JPG
(153.15 KiB) Downloaded 372 times