Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Apr 2014, 15:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
MS Viewer startup packages
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov 2008, 18:29    Post subject:  MS Viewer startup packages
Subject description: Provides 3 ways to start Word, Excel, and PowerPoint viewers

With credit to jrb for focusing me on these interfaces, and kal and others for assisting me, I have adapted jrb's menu packages to integrate them with Puppy and implement them consistently as a set.

My experience when I was employed entailed reading other people's Word documents, but creating or editing only a few myself. I found it useful to have both Word and its viewer installed, with the viewer as the default. Currently, I receive Word-doc calendars that do not render in abiword, but do with the Word viewer. I do notice that the fonts and spacing differ slightly from the viewer run under WinXP, but I think jrb may have a solution that adds MS fonts. See:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=244167#244167

Here is the readme file that appears in /root, giving some details:
Quote:
README file for startup interfaces to MS Viewers

The supported viewers are: PPTview (PowerPoint), Wordview (Word), Xlview (Excel).

The startup interfaces provided by the MSPowerPointView, MSWordView, and MSEcelView packages (dotpets) are:
- Menu entry in Utility subcategory of the respective menus: Graphics, Document, and Calculate
- OpenWith entry
- Default for mouse-click on- or keyboard selection of file icon

When their packages are installed they are made the default for their file type(s), but the user can change the default back to a previous program. The default selection between a viewer and its corresponding creation tool (presenter, word processor, spreadsheet editor) is specified respectively in the following files in /usr/local/bin: mspptapp, mswordapp, msexcelapp. The original default name is commented by an initial "#". To restore it as the default, move the "#" to the beginning of the "exec ms*view" line, and save the file.

The Excel viewer package assumes an update to the main menu definition that adds category CalculateUtility, so that the item is not grouped with gnumeric and other creation tools, consistent with the other viewers. Until the official definition gets updated, I attach a package that makes the change to the Puppy 4.1.1 version.

Note that jrb also has built a set of viewer menu packages that go beyond the capabilities of mine. They let the user choose, each time, which of several programs to run for the MS-type files. I chose to keep the interfaces simple and consistent with Puppy conventions.
Richard
msexcelview-1.pet
Description  For Excel spreadsheet viewer
pet

Download 
Filename  msexcelview-1.pet 
Filesize  3.19 KB 
Downloaded  249 Time(s) 
msexcelview-new_menu_category-1.pet
Description  Supports Excel viewer menu item
pet

Download 
Filename  msexcelview-new_menu_category-1.pet 
Filesize  1.88 KB 
Downloaded  232 Time(s) 
mspptview-1.pet
Description  For PowerPoint presentation viewer
pet

Download 
Filename  mspptview-1.pet 
Filesize  3.19 KB 
Downloaded  293 Time(s) 
mswordview-1.pet
Description  For Word document viewer
pet

Download 
Filename  mswordview-1.pet 
Filesize  3.18 KB 
Downloaded  254 Time(s) 
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: