The latest SAMBA PET for 32bit distros opens Phone's doors

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gcmartin

The latest SAMBA PET for 32bit distros opens Phone's doors

#1 Post by gcmartin »

@MikeB has provided this community an easy addition allowing current 32bit PUP distros (and developers) to be able to share content on their running PUPs with others in their home easily.

When the PET installation completes or when the subsystem is first used, a simple dialogue pops-up to get any user, new or experienced, to share a folder for LAN user acess. This is the same manner as has existed in ALL MACs/Windows for decades.

Many in this community, now have, or are planning to have a smartPhone which, too, can create content which we will want to share/present/save on our home LANs. Content being pictures, movies, SMS messages, call logs, downloaded content, notes,...: Anything which is useful information.

32bit PCs
If you have installed @MikeB's SAMBA PET, it has all of the current LAN protocols to talk to EVERYTHING that currently talks easily to MACs/Windows....EVERYTHING...ALL devices, all PCs, all smartPhones, all smartTVs, all ...! In other words, if it talks/talked to MACs/Windows, those units will talk to your PUP, as well, via this PET. You need do nothing or very little (like create a folder, maybe) to use your PUP to share stuff.

Android smartDevices/smartPhones
I have been a user for years of ES which allows one to access folders shared by PUPs on my LAN. In my past, my main systems are 64bit LH/JLH or 32bit PhatSlacko which has the proper SAMBA already built in.

But, as nice as ES is for my use, others may want other solutions which do similar things with a different user-interface (UI).
Here is one report of 5 Android tools which would meet most user's needs to "talk" properly to their PUPs with the SAMBA PET. Everyone of these allows you to use your phone to transfer content, back and forth, to your PUPs via your LAN's WiFi.

There are videos and other tools as well to assist your choices for exchanging content with devices on your LAN with your PUPs.

The use of SAMBA is important as over 99.8% of all Homes with PCs in the world, have Windows/Macs which smartDevices are built for. Now, with the PET for PUP's 32bit users, their smartPhone/devices also talks to community's PUPs without any issues.

Cheers!

slavvo67

#2 Post by slavvo67 »

GCMartin:

I wouldn't have seen this if it weren't for your post. Looks very promising.

Thank you,

Slavvo67