(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Sep 2020, 22:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
We can do better than this...........
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov 2008, 20:05    Post subject:  

Many questions can be answered by googling.
Many questions are not precise enough.
Many questions have no solution.
01micko

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov 2008, 05:25    Post subject:  

Quote:

1. Many but not all.
2. Do you mean 'precise' or 'accurate'?
3. Every question has an answer.

bugman

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov 2008, 07:33    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Quote:

1. Many but not all.

1 - i have found answers within this very forum more quickly through google than by visiting here first

2 - 'precise' is better for questions, 'accurate' would describe bad answers [usually from bugman]

3 - every question may have an answer, but that answer may not in fact be a solution
01micko

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov 2008, 02:21    Post subject:  

bugman wrote:
01micko wrote:
Quote:

1. Many but not all.

1 - i have found answers within this very forum more quickly through google than by visiting here first

2 - 'precise' is better for questions, 'accurate' would describe bad answers [usually from bugman]

3 - every question may have an answer, but that answer may not in fact be a solution

Ok, we can run in circles all day if we want, but I think the original post by puppylvr has a point, and in my opinion that point is about attitude, (i.e. a good attitude toward new users of puppy). Shoot me down by all means, I don't have too many answers or solutions. However I may be able (and you too) to offer some positive input. Wink

EDIT: Bugman, you are right about google search, it is a better search engine for this forum than the forum search.

bugman

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov 2008, 11:49    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Ok, we can run in circles all day if we want, but I think the original post by puppylvr has a point, and in my opinion that point is about attitude, (i.e. a good attitude toward new users of puppy). Shoot me down by all means, I don't have too many answers or solutions. However I may be able (and you too) to offer some positive input. Wink

EDIT: Bugman, you are right about google search, it is a better search engine for this forum than the forum search.

usually my contribution is along the lines of 'that doesn't work for ME either!'

i have not done any programming of any kind since the mid 1980s, and that on an apple ii+, and i am thoroughly lost here, which is fine as i am thoroughly lost everywhere

BUT

when i have looked at forums [when extant] for other linuxes, i am shocked--shocked by how OUTSTANDING the level of friendly support is here at the puppy forum

there may be one or two better, ubuntu seems fulla eager beavers, but try asking a few newbie questions at dsl, or arch, or [take your pick]

note too that puppy is a VERY popular distro, i have never seen it slip below the teens at distrowatch, with no leader, no staff, no money

just a lot of well-meaning individuals with widely varying personalities and preferences, thrown together in a virtual liferaft, throwing rope whenever they hear a whimper from the crowded, icy waters

[sorry, it's early and my brain is still dreaming]

personally i think this forum does pretty well, all things considered, and i am reinforced in this delusion every single time i ask some stupid question about some ancient piece of obscure and barely functioning peripheral hardware
01micko

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov 2008, 17:39    Post subject:  

01micko wrote
Quote:
and in my opinion that point is about attitude, (i.e. a good attitude toward new users of puppy)

I'll clarify what I meant by that. I didn't mean that there is any bad attitude on this forum (although there may be some, lol), but that some posts seem to get ignored or just plain forgotten, maybe because of attitude.

I had posts go unanswered as I'm sure anyone on this forum has. Part of the problem also could be that when the 'house training' section gets busy posts can get buried under a mountain of newer posts. At busy times there is often a couple of posts in the space of a minute.

My answer to this, and possibly a solution, is what I posted earlier in this thread,
01micko wrote

Quote:
Maybe there could be a sticky in the beginners section named 'first post' or some such.

Just a suggestion and may just help out a few newbies. Smile

Aitch

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov 2008, 20:34    Post subject:  

Maybe also, the idea of a "Re-post because this wasn't answered" thread

Anything NEEDING an answer, that is

ref: my earlier post - Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:25 pm...

....Since, in essence that was Jay's original point

Often times people repost using different information/question

I know have done, as sometimes you find something related to reference, or understand part of a problem
... but still need re-assurance when the doubtmonster starts Wink Rolling Eyes

Sadly, not all bad attitude here has anything to do with 'answering problems' as creating unessential ones, IMHO

Aitch Smile
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: