Horrible quality sound, SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
Old Woman

Horrible quality sound, SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio

#1 Post by Old Woman »

Puppy barks, but when I come to play music the sound quality is wobbly and bad. Running Puppy 4.11 from a live Cd on HP compaq nc4010 laptop, 1,592MHz processor, 480Mb RAM. Alsa configurator identifies soundcard as ali5451. How can I improve the sound?

Thanks, Sarah

alienjeff

#2 Post by alienjeff »

If by "bad" you mean distorted, try opening a console and type: alsamixer

Then check to make sure the levels aren't pegged 100%. Left/right arrow to toggle left/right on the GUI. Up/down arrow to raise/lower levels.

Master, Master M, and especially PCM are the ones to tweak.

If this solves your problem, open the console again and type: alsactl store

RSVP.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

technosaurus

#3 Post by technosaurus »

Laptops are also notorious for bleedover into integrated sound -mostly due to poor design but also due to failed components such as hard drives and fans - For this you could turn off unneeded components in your bios or remove unused components until it stops (no hard drive needed to run from live cd) - this is not a great solution but in a laptop if it is bleedover instead of clipping (what AJ was refering to) there is not much else you can do since rerouting cables is typically not an option in a laptop

Old Woman

#4 Post by Old Woman »

Thanks for the replies. It isn't clipping, the sound is playing back at wavering speeds. Tweaking the alsamixer doesn't make any difference alas.

DialupDude

#5 Post by DialupDude »

If you are playing audio CD's, run a cleaning CD in the drive a few times and also make sure the audio CD is clean and has no scratches on it.

Old Woman

#6 Post by Old Woman »

Well, strangely enough I was able to play a DVD without sound problems. A CD sounded bad, as did a WAV file saved on my hard drive. Also get bad sound reproduction in TiMidity. The sound is fine in XP, and also good using a live version of Kubuntu, so I don't think there's a problem with the laptop. I'm a working musician - sound matters! I'd really like to be able to use Puppy - I'd be grateful for any help!

Old Woman

#7 Post by Old Woman »

Well, I ditched version 4.11 in favour of the retro version - no more sound problems.

Now just have to set everything else up!