Thanks,

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#18 Post by MU »

I redesigned http://dotpups.de/ using that picture, is that ok?
Mark

david

#19 Post by david »

Thanks for the positive feedback. "Cute" is exactly the response I was shooting for. Also, thanks Lobster :)

Mark, of course you can use it! If you need it in any other format or size, let me know. (Vielen Dank auch an Dich :))

mayakovski

#20 Post by mayakovski »

My preference goes along with Babbs choice. The puppy paw under glass made by the daughter of a forum member on the previous page.

The "CUTE" puppy is great, but given the growth of Puppy Linux and some of the upcoming projects, my thought is that professional is better than cute.
Mayakovski
Puppy Linux | Barking Up The Right Tree

Compaq Armada 1580DMT | P150, 49MB RAM - 3.2 GB HD, Puppy 1.0.6
Compaq Deskpro EN | P3-733, 384 MB RAM - 80GB HD, Puppy 1.0.7

david

#21 Post by david »

I agree that the logo you are referring to is very nice (props to the artist) and professional also.

However, I also have to agree with another person that has mentioned that the paw is already sort of taken as an identity by the Wolvix distribution. For that reason alone, I think it would not be the best choice. The only way tha paw could work, in my opinion, is if it was more abstracted to differentiate itself enough from the Wolvix distro.

Ted Dog, one with a pizza in its mouth? for Pizzapup?

mayakovski

#22 Post by mayakovski »

I see what you mean, I had never heard of that distro before.

I also really like the Yellow Dog logo.
Mayakovski
Puppy Linux | Barking Up The Right Tree

Compaq Armada 1580DMT | P150, 49MB RAM - 3.2 GB HD, Puppy 1.0.6
Compaq Deskpro EN | P3-733, 384 MB RAM - 80GB HD, Puppy 1.0.7

deshlab

#23 Post by deshlab »

First of all: Very nice work on the new logo! The text looks good too.

I'll try to give a little constructive criticism as you have received so much appreciation so far. :wink:

The two main features that come to my mind when I think of Puppy Linux are it's tinyness and clever concept - And I would love to see those represented in a logo. I think you got the tinyness quite well through the cuteness - although the logo might be misinterpreted as targeted at children since it is not as business-style (=abstract) as the logos of larger distributions - but the same goes for Tux I guess, so that is no problem.
I would nevertheless prefer the use of a chihuahua - nothing says cute and tiny like a chihuahua (with the flower of course :D ).

The cleverness behind puppy is hard to capture in an image I guess, you could try to give the logo dog more wit in it's facial expression - currently it looks a bit sad (to me ?).

The paw button logo was extremely stylish and able to rival the larger distributions - but it gave me a similar (more than the new one) feeling of not showing puppy's spirit. (plus as others have mentioned it is unintentionally close to the wolvix logo -
Image).

Err.. I hope my post doesn't sound like I didn't find the new design awesome.. :oops:

david

#24 Post by david »

Not at all. That is the reason I posted the logo here, because I wanted to see what people were thinking, so any response, as long as it's constructive (which it has been) is very appreciated. I will try and come up with something else that will capture some of the points that have been addressed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Leon

#25 Post by Leon »

David,
Congratulations for the design!
I like the first one.

Pizzasgood

#26 Post by Pizzasgood »

Spot on! That's a logo to rub the dog's belly!

The dog just has more of the "Puppyness" in it. The paw is awesome, but it almost seems boring. The puppy, on the other hand, looks fun. I vote use the Puppy for the logo, and find something else to use the Paw for. A fairly flat, minimalmistic walpaper would work well. That's actually been done by someone. Otherwise, it is ideal for a button or icon, or a secondary logo.

As for professionality, BAH! It's good enough, and like deshlab said, Tux isn't all that professional either. Think of it this way: When people think of Puppy, do you want them to think of a pawprint, or a puppy? Just like how a penguin is better than a flying window-flag, a puppy is better than a print, because it's alive. Also, a paw print doesn't say "Puppy," it says "Dog." For all I know, it's for Canix. But a puppy has to be from Puppy.

The print definately needs to be used for something, though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#27 Post by BarryK »

david,
I like it too! I put it here:
http://www.puppylinux.com/

david, could you kindly supply a much bigger version?
-- I presume as you designed it in Inkscape, it is scalable.
Well, the Inkscape format would also be nice.
Basically, I archive everything, and if we adopt this as our logo
then it would be good to have a larger jpg -- actually a png format would be good, as it is lossless -- and the original format, in case we need them.

We can acknowledge your full name if you wish to supply it.

david

#28 Post by david »

Thank you very much BarryK - it is a great honor. I can certainly provide it in any format you wish. How do you want me to get them to you? FTP, email? I will send the original Inkscape SVG file, along with a large format PNG file. If you do wish for me to make any changes or adjustments, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thanks again,

David

Oh, and my full name is David May. Thanks for you hard work Barry!

Pizzasgood

#29 Post by Pizzasgood »

The only constructive criticism I can come up with is that:
  • The word "puppy" on the top one seems to stick out a hair too far on the left. Maybe squish it just a notch?
  • The "u" in "puppy" on the bottom one seems unproportionally small by a little. If it was just a hair taller it would match better. I know it's supposed to look loose and wobbly, and I like it, but that "u" is just a little too small. It looks like there is a dent. On second look, it's really just the left arm of the "u" that's too short. Maybe it's just not quite rotated enough.
I only saw those when I looked for something wrong, though. If I didn't know they were there I probably wouldn't notice.

EDIT: Yeah, on third look, it's just not rotated clockwise quite enough. Almost, but not quite.

PS. Glad we have another Minnesotan on board! I'm from Minnesota too, but I've lived in Georgia for the last five years or so. I plan to move back up north after college, though. I have a pretty wide temperature tolerance, but I just can't take the heat in the summer. Fortunately, I go back to MN for two months each summer to visit Dad, so I avoid much of it :)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

david

#30 Post by david »

I see what you mean Pizzasgood - easily fixable.

Hehe, it's not too bad here right now. 34F at 7pm. Usually should be in the teens at most. Yea, I can't take a lot of heat either, but I suppose that's all just a matter of being used to something.

Pizzasgood

#31 Post by Pizzasgood »

I've been in shorts and a tee shirt all week. It's been around 68 or so. Ridiculous. Especially since I just got back from visiting Dad over Christmas break. Oh well. I prefer shorts to pants anyways, and I don't have to lug around a jacket at school. Also, the teachers aren't tempted to jack up the heat to 80 degrees when it isn't "cold" out :roll:

dvw86

#32 Post by dvw86 »

I made a desktop icon of it. I'm going to use it as my Rox or "Home" icon.
Attachments
puppy-icon1.png
(7.79 KiB) Downloaded 1899 times

Ted Dog

Start menu icon

#33 Post by Ted Dog »

The puppy image used by QEMU-Puppy is a favorite of mine, I tried to resize it to replace the dog on the start button.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#34 Post by BarryK »

david wrote:Thank you very much BarryK - it is a great honor. I can certainly provide it in any format you wish. How do you want me to get them to you? FTP, email? I will send the original Inkscape SVG file, along with a large format PNG file. If you do wish for me to make any changes or adjustments, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thanks again,

David

Oh, and my full name is David May. Thanks for you hard work Barry!
You could email it/them as attachment/s, to
bkauler@goosee.com
-- note, I get zillions of spam on that email address, and currently I'm manually scanning, no auto spam filter (gotta fix that real soon!) -- so, put my name in the title so I don't absentmindedly hit the delete key!

puppian

#35 Post by puppian »

Well done David 8)

Can we have it on transparent background and dark background too?
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005