Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 30 Aug 2015, 03:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
The Puppy Logo...
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 8 [113 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
aahhaaa

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2005, 13:17    Post subject:  The Puppy Logo...  

This is really minor but...
I was looking at the Distrowatch announcement of 1.0.6 http://distrowatch.com/
and couldn't help but notice that the Puppy 'logo' used is the least-nice (sorry, somebody) one of several I've seen- poor lil pup even has red-eye!

I love the Puppy, but compared to all the other distros, it's the least logo-ish of all.

This week, a lot of people will be noticing Puppy on Distrowatch. Unless its a statement of some kind (why do I feel the thin ice? Wink ) could somebody 'official' get them a better .PNG asap? just a pr thang...

I like the desktop nosy pup the best, myself... purely as a photo, I mean... Embarassed that's the one I'd pick to logoize, but there are several other contenders around here.
kcin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2005, 17:59    Post subject:  

aahhaaa,

Well, yes, as you implied, in the hierarchy of importance, the looks are definitely secondary to features and function, it's true.

But I also agree with you that looks do matter, and as a distro matures and becomes more and more popular and widely used, it is also important to "dress it up properly & send it off to the dance looking spiffy."

While I love all the old Puppy Photos and Logos, I concur that sooner or later, (sooner the better), some loving attention ought to be paid to the development of a really well-done and super-sharp Puppy-Logo that would compare favorably with the very best and sharpest logos out there on any other distros.

I've been brainstorming ideas on this for a while just as a personal interest, and meanwhile trying to improve my GIMP Skills enough to do what I am conceiving in my head. Hopefully at some point I will have a prototype or two or three to offer up for community scrutiny. However, I'm certain we have several already-trained GIMP-familar artists who are way ahead of me on this.

Well, this idea is now on the table publicly, and I just know, a lot of Pups with artistic proclivities will take it to heart and begin to let the creative juices flow in this direction.

I'd be willing to bet that we begin to see some various Pup's takes on Logo ideas begin to show up on the forum soon.

I'm looking forward to that.

regards,

kcin
keenerd

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2005, 18:51    Post subject:  

I did a remake of that Puppy logo once - see it at
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2573&start=0

Of course, it should be scaled down. Also, I have a version without my email address in it that should be used instead.
aahhaaa

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2005, 20:00    Post subject:  

the Distrowatch logos are avatar sized: 80x88 pixels or so. I fiddled around with the desktop pup for a few minutes- kinda hard to shrink well.

Mebbe Barry would judge a contest? Very Happy
pup4.png
 Description   It just wants to run...
 Filesize   12.64 KB
 Viewed   3635 Time(s)

pup4.png

jcagle

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov 2005, 01:03    Post subject:  

I'll use my graphic design skills and give creating a logo a shot
raffy

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov 2005, 01:47    Post subject: Existing Choicess  

Dont forget that we have existing choices, like

(1)what Barry uses now in the pupweb pages,

(2) this one

and (3) still others in

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/IconsPuppy
gliezl

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov 2005, 04:04    Post subject:  

I like this one... Smile

drongo

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2005, 19:59    Post subject: The Puppy logo  

Since Puppy hails from Western Australia you could make a fairly simple logo by taking the coastline of Oz West of about 138 degrees longitude. This gives you something which looks a bit like a Scottie dog's head. It's simple and scalable and combines the name with Barry's location. You can shrink it, enlarge it, colour it in and do all kinds of fancy graphical stuff with it. Best of all you don't have to copyright it as no-one can steal it from you.

Apologies to ozboomer, Bare_scribbler and Nathan Abussi - you've all just fallen off the map!
nate

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 02:07    Post subject:  

nah.. its ok.. WA never gets any attention anyway. Its fair that it does now.
babbs

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 02:08    Post subject:  

I think that each and every image produced by a Puppy Linux fan serves the purpose for which that person created the image. Granted, some are more artistic and some are easier on the eyes than others, but this thread was started with a purpose. The images for the distrobutions on Distrowatch are as varied as are those for Puppy Linux. Wink

Barry's primary focus has been where it belongs (where ever he wants it to be, right?), with the development of the OS that we've grown to love. Recently (I'd say last 6-10 months), there has been a great influx of Puppy fans that bring other talents to the table. These talents can be seen when other developers add or tweak a program that Barry includes in the next release or when one user helps another in the Forum or on the Wiki. These talents can also be seen with the formation of the Foundation and the new face of how Puppy Linux is presented to the first time visitor at http://puppylinux.org. The number of websites popping up in support of Puppy Linux is a testament to the fans' appreciation of Berry's hard work (and of the assistance provided by other dedicated programmers too).

While I really like the "Pretty Puppy" photo (the one of Barry's dog holding the flower), I really like the one created by the daughter of fellow forum member psr1 for Distrowatch:
puppy_mid.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   25.76 KB
 Viewed   3586 Time(s)

puppy_mid.jpg

aahhaaa

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 10:23    Post subject:  

Not sure who it would be, but somebody should be sure to send the "Puppy under glass" logo to Distrowatch. Its even sized right at: http://puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1
It's the most professional-looking logo created so far...

That said, it doesn't have just the right feel to me; kinda the opposite of frisky and friendly. It certainly doesn't say "it really runs!" which is the most important feature to Winusers looking at the alternatives.
imho, it looks more like a start button; it isn't 'alive' like the 'competing' plethora of cute penguins. No offense meant to anybody, and I expect people to be even tougher on my stuff...

Judging from what they say about car psychology, the logo is a powerful choice element when selecting distros at a place like Distrowatch...
babbs

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2005, 14:38    Post subject:  

aahhaaa,

I agree with you that it doesn't have the right feel, but at Distrowatch, they don't know that. I believe that if it gets that site's visitors to try Puppy, then Puppy will win them over on its own merits. Flash might get them to look at it, but it'll be the function that will keep them.

Maybe it can be used until a more suitable one is found.

Babbs
david

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2006, 00:48    Post subject:  

thought I'd throw a couple in and see what the response is like. If it isn't obvious enough, this is based on the existing "logo" on the home page. It's made 100% in Inkscape with freeware typefaces. Actually.. 90%.. 10% was done in the good old pencil and paper fashion, scanned in and then traced and colored.

I was actually working on logos for Grafpup and thought that they could both be connected in some way (more on that in another post perhaps - but they would share some obvious commonalities).
grafpup3_text.png
 Description   puppy linux logos
 Filesize   39.89 KB
 Viewed   3475 Time(s)

grafpup3_text.png

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2006, 01:22    Post subject: Logos  

Both great, I have a hard time choosing. How about one with a pizza in its mouth Cool
MU

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2006, 01:29    Post subject:  

Thats awesome!
I vote for using that as the official Puppy-Logo (the second one).

Real cute!
Mark
Page 1 of 8 [113 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: