aspire one puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
elling

#46 Post by elling »

iscraigh wrote:I will be posting the new iso based on the .27 kernel, wep works out of the box. Look for it tonight.

Craig
:D
Thanks!!!

I will test it...and install it for other "One" owners 8)

thermophilus

#47 Post by thermophilus »

Compliment for the great work.

I can't find a way to install puppy linux to the internal ssd card. How can I ?

Best Regards

Thermo

iscraigh

#48 Post by iscraigh »

It can be a challenge. I found after installing another distro my ssd card was recognized correctly and I could install. I will try tonight on a pristine aspire one and post procedure. If the linpus uses grub you should be able to copy the files and add an entry to grub.

Craig

iscraigh

#49 Post by iscraigh »

I am going to keep this on one thread now..this one as this is a derivitive.
New ISO coming withing the hour. Try out your function keys and your wifi switch. All work with feedback except the switch monitor. If any one has this working with xrandr please tell me how.

Craig

iscraigh

#50 Post by iscraigh »

Ok here it is

ftp://puppy:puppylinux@ftp.servage.net/ ... 410-27.iso

I actually tested this one. Only thing of not is that you will need to turn up pcm and master to get reasonable volume, once booted click at the bottom of the screen to see cairo-dock.

As for an install to the internal card the easiest way is......

Boot in puppy
click on sda1 icon on desktop
mount sda1
right click/new/directory........name directory puppy
click on desktop icon for drive your puppy is running from, probably sdc
drag and drop pup-410.sfs/initrd.gz/vmlinuz to the new folder
in the root of the hardrive/sdcard look for a boot folder
go into it, then the grub folder.
open the file called grub.conf in a text editor

add the highlighted items

default=1
timeout=0
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu

title Linpus Linux RCD
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=LABEL=linpus vga=0x311 splash=silent loglevel=1 console=tty1 quiet nolapic_timer
initrd /boot/initrd-splash.img

title Puppy
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /puppy/vmlinuz psubdir=puppy nosmp pci=noacpi pfix=noram
initrd /puppy/initrd.gz

save reboot and you are good to go.

Craig

boscobearbank

#51 Post by boscobearbank »

Just booted this morning's remaster on my AA1 (from a USB stick). Very nicely done!
Bosco Bearbank

Haggis-AOA

Nice1

#52 Post by Haggis-AOA »

This is working great on my A150 (HDD ver), keep up the good work :)
At last a great Linux distro without having to tweak :) 10/10 .
Is this based on 4.10 ?

iscraigh

#53 Post by iscraigh »

This is based on MU's 4.10 remaster using the .27 kernel. I used this because it supported the hardware the best, the only thing that does not work are the wireless lights. The wireless on off switch works without a reboot and you get an onscreen indicator when you move the switch.

Glad you like it, I may merge the fixes with ripple in the future as it is a more advanced project (Read Dinky is smarter than me :) ). It makes sense as we both use cairo dock and we are both trying to support netbooks.

Craig

Ted Dog

#54 Post by Ted Dog »

good work! Still playing around with it. wireless worked for me, kinda hard to figure-out but good.

Alley

Problems with new version

#55 Post by Alley »

Frugal install to USB drive, tried with save file and without save file, to ram, and not to ram.

Despite the beautiful interface, I'm having so many problems with this version I can't use it. Mount doesn't work at all, not even for a second USB drive, much less for the card slots. The light on a USB drive never turns on when inserted, refresh never finds it. This is true whether the usb drive or card is present preboot or added after bootup.

Huge CPU load, according to the meter preloaded in Cairo, rarely gets below 30 percent even when sitting absolutely idle, averages 60-80% cpu usage. 100% usage is common.

WiFi doesn't work period, even though using the switch is recognized onscreen as turning wifi on and off. It won't even scan networks, much less connect to one.

On bootup, you have to click on the screen somewhere before Cairo dock will display when hovered over.

During startup, after saying "Loading Modules", says "Disabling IRQ #11" a total of 5 times during the process.

It seems to be impossible to set the pad for tap=click short of hand-editing files - at least I was unable to find it in all the manager/control panel/window manager options programs, unlike the previous version.

The firefox button brings up SeaMonkey.

I see several positive comments - am I using this more more thoroughly than most, or are there hardware differences between models that could cause this? My model is the Aspire One 150-1447 that comes with XP, 160 gig hard drive, 1 gig ram, 6 cell battery -

My frugal to USB drive of the first version still works great, except you have to have ACPI off to get the SD cards to recognize. Just retested as a reality check...

Help!
-alley

Ted Dog

quick qestion

#56 Post by Ted Dog »

Say other Texan what did U pay/get the fully loaded version?

iscraigh

#57 Post by iscraigh »

alright lets fix most of your challenges with one change.

In your frugal install open up your syslinux.conf file (or extlinux) and edit your boot line. Take out acpi=off and add pci=noacpi

Now wireless will work, usb will also work, irq message should also disappear
The Cairo thing I haven't figured out why you need to click but did note that.
Did not install firefox forgot to make a new icon (oops)

Tap pad I found irritating but is easily enabled in the xorg.conf file under the synaptics touchpad section, not home right now but tap speed or something of around 200 works

SD cards must be inserted @ boot

Try those fixes and all should be good

Craig

Haggis-AOA

Kernel Options

#58 Post by Haggis-AOA »

I left out the kernel options on my hdd version , nosmp pci=noacpi pfix=noram and all works well,suspend works,powerdown works,wifi WPA2 works.
dmesg gives this error after resume :

Restarting tasks ... done.
evdev.c(EVIOCGBIT): Suspicious buffer size 511, limiting output to 64 bytes. See http://userweb.kernel.org/~dtor/eviocgbit-bug.html points to a fix for this bug, mabey someone can use this to make an easy pet package fix ;)
Last edited by Haggis-AOA on Sat 13 Dec 2008, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

girello

#59 Post by girello »

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a way to stop the noisy fan of my AAO: it's always running and it discharges the battery in less than an hour. I have a AAO 110L (8gb ssh/512 Ram) and some weeks ago I decided to upgrade my bios'version to 3307. Any advice?

Haggis-AOA

try acerfand

#60 Post by Haggis-AOA »

Have you tried Acerfand ,duno if it works on bios 3307 yet, let us know please
http://home.strangenoises.org/~rachel/a ... /acerfand/
Fan control for the Acer Aspire One
=========================================

Rachel Greenham and others, 2008. See http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a for details.

Simple install:

1: Download acerfand and acer_ec.pl from this folder into /usr/local/bin. Ensure they're executable.

2: Add "/usr/local/bin/acerfand" into your /etc/rc.local file.

3: Reboot. Or just run acerfand to start it immediately.

thermophilus

#61 Post by thermophilus »

Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

girello

#62 Post by girello »

No, it doesn't work, I have already try twice or three times. Or to be more precise it works in a very strange way: the fan stops for 5 second, then starts again at the maximum speed (and noise) but only for 1 second, after that stops again and so on. It is impossible to work like that, I think it depends on the bios' version: when will there be an upgrade/modify on acerfand??

Haggis-AOA

#63 Post by Haggis-AOA »

Bring up a Terminal window and then
Type su - and your password when prompted.

Now type cp /home/user/Downloads/acerfand /usr/local/bin , assuming /home/user/Downloads/ is where your files were downloaded to.

Now type cp /home/user/Downloads/acer_ec.pl /usr/local/bin

Next, in Terminal still, type chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/acerfand

Next type sudo geany /etc/rc.local , replace geany with your text editor.. add /usr/local/bin/acerfand at the end of the file, then go to File then Save then close it down.
Reboot your Acer.

arvacon

#64 Post by arvacon »

iscraigh
PostPosted: Yesterday, at 12:21 Post subject:
Ok here it is

ftp://puppy:puppylinux@ftp.servage.net/ ... 410-27.iso
Hello friend,I tried to download your file,but the link doesn't work.Can you upload this again?

thanks

PS. Do you know which is better file system for the puppy, ext2 or ext3?
I am using a compact flash card for ssd,so it is faster than the clasic ssd,but I dont know what file system is better for this..

girello

#65 Post by girello »

Haggis-AOA thanks for trying to help me. I did all you wrote in your last reply but it still doesn't work. It simply doesn't work. Probably because of the bios's version it looks as if acerfand is not able to recognize and control the fan at all. Once I tried to modify the acerfand file with my text editor, gedit, and changed the values of the bios' version, replacing everywhere "3304" with "3307", of course my version: only in that occasion I noticed that acerfand seems to work but with the strange behaviour I described before.

:shock: