http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42867

or Puppy 214x9 VM

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44707

If you have a windoze XP setup.....?

Aitch :)

nooby

#317 Post by nooby »

aah yes that was interesting to read.

I have win 7 Startup so I am not sure if it works in that one?

I wrote a PM to the person who know much about it so maybe I tell here later if I try it out based on his answer.

Have you heard of FluxFlux and Lin2Go, what are they about?

thanks for links I found this text by ICPUG
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:45 pm

However, someone in the Tiny Core Linux community has come up with a way where you don't edit boot.ini. You replace ntldr with a renamed grldr and have grldr call up ntldr, (which is also renamed) when Windows in required. There is still some risk but at least I am not guessing what boot.ini might be! This should be easier to automate too.
Hahahah that is so clever that I even fail to get it. Okay one rename it and then rename the other and then it works? I have to read it many times I guess.

Don't one have to kind of make copies of them and save in a secure place to know which is which of them if one have to restore them later?

Ok this works for XP then. Are Win 7 Starter built that way too?

I think it is like Vista and that one are different is it not?

what
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#318 Post by nooby »

No it is not.

From Ms support text.
In earlier versions of the Windows operating system that run on a basic input/output system (BIOS)-based computer, such as Windows XP, the boot process starts with the system BIOS. The BIOS determines the boot device, and then loads the first physical sector. This physical sector is named the master boot record (MBR). The MBR contains the partition table and the necessary boot execution code. This code searches the partition table to find the active partition and passes control to the boot sector on the active partition. Then, the boot sector on the active partition loads the Ntldr program. The Ntldr program parses the Boot.ini file. This file is used to enumerate the operating systems that are installed.

When Windows Vista or Windows 7 starts on a BIOS-based computer, the BIOS loads the MBR and then loads the boot sector. However, boot code loads the new Windows Boot Manager program (Bootmgr). The Windows Boot Manager program parses the Boot Configuration Data file, enumerates the installed operating systems, and then displays the boot menu. If an earlier version of the Windows operating system is installed in a dual-boot configuration with Windows Vista or Windows 7, the Windows Boot Manager program transfers control to the Ntldr program for the earlier version of the Windows operating system. The Windows Boot Manager program does this when you select Windows Vista from the boot menu.
so it uses another way to load. As a noob I am completely lost in that text.

nooby

#319 Post by nooby »

Sorry me derailing the thread completely. I should join Crunchbang forum to ask questions on how to get the LAN network going.

Sooner or later I will download a puppy made for AAO D250 but will test other distros now.

Thansk for all help

Anniekin

#320 Post by Anniekin »

Is there a way to enable the touchpad tap = mouse click function?

This is enabled in Windoze XP and also Kuki linux.

I find that in trying to target the very small minimize - maximize - close buttons on the windows, by the time I reach over to press the touchpad mouse button, the cursor often floats away and is no longer over my intended target...

iscraigh

#321 Post by iscraigh »

Yes you can enable the touchpad

you need to enable the synaptic touchpad in your /etc/xorg.conf file.

Craig

bolle

#322 Post by bolle »

or you can right click, and then setup > mouse and keyboard > and from here you can enable things like touchpad tap, three button mouse, etc.

Anniekin

#323 Post by Anniekin »

ahhh nice nice

nooby

#324 Post by nooby »

Kuki linux is the only one that I managed to reach internet with on my AAO D250

Puppy 4.3.1 failed to get Ethernet card get connection.

Broadcom card.

Is there any Puppy that would work on D250?

tempestuous

#325 Post by tempestuous »

nooby wrote:Puppy 4.3.1 failed to get Ethernet card get connection.
You possibly need the updated Atheros ethernet driver (not Broadcom) -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 449#357449
... but it's very hard to help with hardware queries such as these unless you reveal your lspci results.

oraso

Aspire one ethernet driver

#326 Post by oraso »

Hi all,
Just bought an aspire one and wanted to put puppy on ASAP. I found the Aspire one version of puppy and loaded it. Looks lovely. Wireless works fine, except that I don't use wireless frequently, mostly I use a wired connection. However, I can't connect to the network with Puppy. XP has no problem, and Unbuntu will also work. I tried a lot of the drivers in the puppy network wizard, but no eth0 shows up even after a lot of auto-probes. Can anyone tell me what driver to use, or how otherwise to get the eth0 up and running?

Thanks in advance and appreciate your help.

tempestuous

#327 Post by tempestuous »

oraso wrote:mostly I use a wired connection. However, I can't connect to the network with Puppy
Can anyone tell me what driver to use
I just answered that question in my previous post.
And to reiterate, your lspci results would help identify the correct driver.

nooby

#328 Post by nooby »

It is too much to write down by hand. Can one tell the linux to write it on the USB or the HDD in a text file that one help very much.

Or if you know what the line that you have to read to help or if it is several lines???

Could you do such a text and make bold those lines that have the needed text to draw conclusions from?

I have crunchbang 2.8 running in a usb on it now and can see wireless but not wired LAN.

when I look at proprietary then it say that CB 2.8 has the right driver for Broadcom loaded and active. So why would that not allow it to work?

Atheros? Last time I did that l thing it says Attinus something. Is that Ateros too?

I booted with Kuki linux instead to be able to send that L thing.

Lo and behold it says Atheros boot through LAN something.

so you are right about that name.

Does Puppy use that one too or is that an ACER special?

I try to do one now and log in here and send it. Kuki had wired a day ago so hope it works here too.

nooby

#329 Post by nooby »

ok this is kuki linux and wired connection on the AAO D250 and I do the lspci but how to get it pasted in I dont know but look for clues how to.

Why does Kuki work with wired but not wireless while puppy work with none of them aqnd crunchbang only with wifi?

okay here it is

kuki@kuki:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Device 1062 (rev c0)

So the name was Attansic i have poor memory.

nooby

#330 Post by nooby »

I downloaded the Acer puppy and did unetbootin to a USB and fired up the Acer D250 with the usb booting and it looks good but no internet works.

It fail to connect to the LAN and when I tried to use the Ndiswrapper then it ask me something I fail to get. In root it want me to decide on some info file.

have no clue what to choose.

It doesn't show wireless either

why does Crunchbang work out of the box with wireless but fail on wired LAN?

Why does Kuki Linux work out of the box getting wired Lan going but fail on wireless.

Puppy fails on both.

What is that? It is made to work for Acer so why would it not work out of the box?

nooby

#331 Post by nooby »

edit my bad
Last edited by nooby on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#332 Post by tempestuous »

nooby wrote:03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Device 1062 (rev c0)
That's an Attansic (owned by Atheros) ethernet device, supported in Puppy 4.3.x by the atl1c driver ...
but this official kernel driver is reported to be unreliable with modern versions of the Atheros/Attansic chipset,
so you will likely get a better result with the proprietary version of the atl1e driver contributed by forum member jemimah here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 449#357449
(as I suggested several posts earlier).
Make sure you install the atl1e-1c "fix" as well.

nooby wrote:01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
That's a Broadcom wifi device, probably supported by Puppy's b43 driver ...
but again, the proprietary "wl" Broadcom wifi driver is likely to work better. Get it here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 454#346454

nooby

#333 Post by nooby »

yes very valueable info and yes I remember.

But as I tell everybody. Such only works if one knows how to install it.

The acer puppy is on an usb stick thumb and are live not installed on HDD

I have no access to the internet on that computer with that program on.

So either I should download the drivers with windows and transfer them to the stick that way or or take the down on the hdd and retrieve from hdd with puppy fired up on that machine.

Edit first stumble block.

I am Asperger Syndrome. I fail to read abstract texts that is too unfamiliar.

All the links are about .pet and Idon't have the know how to use such in win 7 program.

Are they not supposed to work by beingklicked on by the puppy program one need them in and that one can not reach them due to know working connection. end of edit

One most likely must also know how to activate them in the right folder?

All this makes one very dependent on those who knows how to do such detailed things.

Dont get me wrong

I really do appreciate the help but it makes me even more dependent on more help on how to do what you suggested.

I am on win7 now. can win7 download those needed files and then acer puppy reach tehm through the acer hdd?

nooby

#334 Post by nooby »

how was I supposed to do the fix? Did that one work on its own?

It worked well to click on the pets but it failed to get the LAN working

Should I try to ndiswrapper also? I mean the win 7 just works so if I could find it that would be great

But I have no idea where to to find it. I end up in root and see no ndiswrapper there

Anniekin

#335 Post by Anniekin »

Bad Puppy! BAAAD!!!