Using applications, configuring, problems
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#16 Post by GuestToo »

if you right click the Monkey icon, click Look Inside
then right click AppRun, Open As Text
you can edit the script that starts/stops Monkey

the line that starts Monkey is su -c $SM - nobody &
you are root, and normally any program you run is run as root with root's privledges
running as nobody means the server will have limited privledges to do things it shouldn't be allowed to do anyway

if you change the line su -c $SM - nobody & to $SM &, Monkey will run as root with root's privledges

also, at the top of the AppRun file, change MONKEY_URL="http://127.0.0.1:51234/" to MONKEY_URL="http://127.0.0.1:80/"

setup the port you want to use in /root/monkey/conf/monkey.conf ... if you right click the Monkey icon and click Help, there is an icon you can click to edit monkey.conf

for example, change Port 51234 to Port 80

now when you click the start button, Monkey should start using port 80

screenshot of Monkey serving on port 80: http://tinypic.com/5tvzfl

screenshot of Monkey running a perl cgi script ... note where it says SERVER_PORT=80:
http://tinypic.com/5tvzvs

Nathan F

Thank You

#17 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks for the fast reply. I thought I had tried all of that earlier, but I geuss I must have skipped something. It's workink now. My website should be up by next week, with this setup.

Nathan :D

Nathan F

firewall

#18 Post by Nathan F »

Ok, I hope I'm not asking this in the right place, but it's closely related. I've got the server up and running but not with the firewall. I had Morizot setup and it blocked port 80 quite effectively. Now I'm wondering how I could set up the firewall and open up just that port in order to run my website. Thanks again for helping with everything else.

Nathan
(really close to making this my main system) :)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#19 Post by GuestToo »

i think the firewall is called rc.firewall or rc.firewall-morizot ... something like that ... it's in /etc/rc.d i think

i put config variables at the top of the file

right click the rc.firewall (whatever it actually is called)
click Open As Text
pupTCP_ALLOW_PORTS="" should be near the top of the file
change the line to pupTCP_ALLOW_PORTS="80"

the firewall should now allow incoming connections to port 80

either reboot or restart the firewall
(type /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall stop then type /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall
or whatever it's called)

if you have a router or hardware firewall, you need to forward port 80 too

i prefer not to use port 80, because there are bots searching for computers with port 80 open ... but i don't suppose it makes much difference

Nathan F

Puppy server: is a firewall necessary?

#20 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks. Will try that. I don't think I should have any real problems using port 80, as I'm going to reboot the computer every now and then and just re-insert monkey and the pages that I want, after deleting the pup100 file. So even if someone does compromise the server, any damage should be gone at the next bootup. This was my primary reason for wanting to do this with Puppy and Monkey. My first plan was to use DSL, but I'm way more comfortable running Puppy so far.

Thanks again,
Nathan

Kemas

PHP and MySQL?

#21 Post by Kemas »

Hi all,

Is it possible to add PHP and MySQL as well? Can Puppy be used as a server-distro?

Thanks. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Puppy server: is a firewall necessary?

#22 Post by Flash »

Nathan F wrote:Thanks. Will try that. I don't think I should have any real problems using port 80, as I'm going to reboot the computer every now and then and just re-insert monkey and the pages that I want, after deleting the pup100 file. So even if someone does compromise the server, any damage should be gone at the next bootup. This was my primary reason for wanting to do this with Puppy and Monkey. My first plan was to use DSL, but I'm way more comfortable running Puppy so far.

Thanks again,
Nathan
Nathan, I don't know much about servers, but your idea suggests to me that if the data the server serves doesn't change then it is possible to put server Puppy and the data on a bootable CD or DVD, and have a "thin server" without a hard drive at all. Conceivably a server farm could be made up of 'blades' that only have a DVD ROM drive, 128 MB of RAM, and no hard drive. As you seemed to say, there would be no need for a firewall either, just reboot occasionally to clear any viruses or worms.