How to use HP Deskjet 3915 USB printer?

Booting, installing, newbie
jakobcornelis

How to use HP Deskjet 3915 USB printer?

#1 Post by jakobcornelis »

I want to use an HP Deskjet 3915 connected by USB to my Toshiba Satellite 1500 laptop; I have just successfully completed a frugal install of Puppy 4.1.2. The printer works fine with the other OS (Windows XP). I tried to use CUPS, but after going through the procedures, the printer went through the motions, so to speak, but didn't print. My subsequent search led me to a newer version of CUPS, but I can't make any sense of that one. Now I don't know what else to do. I haven't found anything else that seems germane to this problem on this forum, so far.

I am a total novice (used to do DOS, though). It says somewhere this ought to be easy. Any assistance would be appreciated. This problem separates me from total happiness ;-)

ieee488

#2 Post by ieee488 »

I've never understood the point of saying such-and-such works with Windows XP. That is totally irrelevant. This is a completely different operating system. That the printer works with XP only proves that it isn't broken. Nothing more.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23820

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your printer needs a package called hpijs. Are you using it? If not, go here and download the file hpijs-2.8.12.pet.

ComputerBob

#4 Post by ComputerBob »

ieee488 wrote:...That the printer works with XP only proves that it isn't broken. Nothing more...
I think that's exactly why so many people say "It works in XP" -- so that after they go to all the trouble of describing their problem, someone won't ask, "Are you sure that the printer itself is working?"

BTW, for those who are keeping score, this is my very first post here. ;)
[color=red][b]Computer[/b][/color][color=blue][b]Bob[/b][/color].com - Making Geek-Speak Chicâ„¢
News, Views, Information, Software, Help & Fun - Every Day
[url=http://www.computerbob.com][b]ComputerBob.com[/b][/url]

jakobcornelis

#5 Post by jakobcornelis »

"That the printer works with XP only proves that it isn't broken. Nothing more."

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23820

Exactly

rjbrewer

#6 Post by rjbrewer »

I use a hp3930.

The driver package contains about 800 or more drivers.
You can save about 4mb of space by just saving the files
you need and deleting the rest.

rjb

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

ieee488

#7 Post by ieee488 »

ComputerBob wrote:
ieee488 wrote:...That the printer works with XP only proves that it isn't broken. Nothing more...
I think that's exactly why so many people say "It works in XP" -- so that after they go to all the trouble of describing their problem, someone won't ask, "Are you sure that the printer itself is working?"
I disagree.

My belief is that most of the time people are trying to use a peripheral that currently works with Windows with Linux. That's why they write that "It works in XP", because that is their current point of reference.

[/b]

jakobcornelis

#8 Post by jakobcornelis »

rcrsn51 wrote:Your printer needs a package called hpijs. Are you using it? If not, go here and download the file hpijs-2.8.12.pet.
I got hpijs-2.8.12.pet. Supposedly it is now "installed". Now what? You see, I haven't a clue how to go about this. What does it mean it is "installed? It certainly doesn't make my printer go.

By the way, ieee488, we aren't all electrical engineers, and besides, you can believe whatever you fancy, but my reason for citing Windows experience was, as I already stated, that I know my printer works (thanks ComputerBob).

Now, Mr. ieee.488, can you assist me in getting my printer working with Puppy? That would be much appreciated.

rjbrewer

#9 Post by rjbrewer »

jacob c:

You start by going to menu-system-cups-manage printing.

rjb

Full installs

jakobcornelis

#10 Post by jakobcornelis »

rjbrewer wrote:jacob c:

You start by going to menu-system-cups-manage printing.

rjb

Thanks rjb.

Now it starts to make sense. However, trying half a dozen drivers from the HP list, none seems to activate the printer. I am still missing something. At least earlier on the printer was responding (although not printing).

Now, here's what the CUPS window shows:
Hewlett Packard "usr/lib/cups/foomatic-rip-hplip failed"
Description: HP Deskjet 3915
Printer Driver: HP Deskjet 3940 Foomatic/hpijs 2.8.12.26
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published
Device URI: usb://HP/Deskjet%203900?serial=TH62A131QQ4CG
The driver is the latest I tried.

What does "failed" in the first line mean?

When I click Print Test Page, it show a short while later, after nothing has happened, at the bottom of the CUPS window under 'State' that the job is "stopped".

Any suggestions?

jc

rjbrewer

#11 Post by rjbrewer »

The driver my 3930 uses is 3920. It didn't come from the
puppy repository. Got it from Linux Open Printing.

Try this one. Click old one in package manager to delete it first.

http://openprinting.org/show_driver.cgi ... skJet_3915

edit:
My driver has ppd.

rjb

Full installs

jakobcornelis

#12 Post by jakobcornelis »

rjbrewer wrote:The driver my 3930 uses is 3920. It didn't come from the
puppy repository. Got it from Linux Open Printing.

Try this one. Click old one in package manager to delete it first.

http://openprinting.org/show_driver.cgi ... skJet_3915

edit:
My driver has ppd.

rjb
I tried this. The extraction gets hung on : /hplip-install: line 5: python: command not found

I haven't a clue what this means let alone what to do about it. Have you?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

Welcome to the kennels Jacob :D
Our CUPS info needs updating but for what its worth, here it is:
http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/hardware/general/cups
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

ieee488 wrote:
ComputerBob wrote:
I disagree.

My belief is that most of the time people are trying to use a peripheral that currently works with Windows with Linux. That's why they write that "It works in XP", because that is their current point of reference.
I've been administering this forum for some years and I have yet to see even the rankest beginner who did not comprehend what he was doing when he told this Linux forum "It works in Windows." I've said it myself. It's a useful piece of information to add, when you ask for help getting your hardware to work. :)

jakobcornelis

#15 Post by jakobcornelis »

Lobster wrote:Welcome to the kennels Jacob :D
Our CUPS info needs updating but for what its worth, here it is:
http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/hardware/general/cups

Thanks, Lobster. Frankly, I am a bit distrustful of "old" (1-year) information -- never mind that the most important link doesn't work, so it can not be followed through.

I still have the feeling I am missing something in all this.

jc

ieee488

#16 Post by ieee488 »

Flash wrote:
ieee488 wrote:
ComputerBob wrote: I think that's exactly why so many people say "It works in XP" -- so that after they go to all the trouble of describing their problem, someone won't ask, "Are you sure that the printer itself is working?"
I disagree.

I've been administering this forum for some years and I have yet to see even the rankest beginner who did not comprehend what he was doing when he told this Linux forum "It works in Windows." I've said it myself. It's a useful piece of information to add, when you ask for help getting your hardware to work. :)
You and I will just have to disagree on this.

From what I have seen it is almost always the rankest beginner who does this.

I don't find it useful, because the reason they are trying to use whichever piece of equipment is because they had it for their Windows use. I don't know of any reasonable person who would waste time trying to get broken equipment to work with Linux. Do you? :lol: The printer works with Windows; that's why they want to get it working with Linux. It is plain common sense.

rjbrewer

#17 Post by rjbrewer »

Jakob

The drivers I use are more than a year old.

deskjet_3920_hpijs.ppd
hpijs-2.8.6

no hplip

rjb

Full installs

ComputerBob

#18 Post by ComputerBob »

ieee488 wrote: You and I will just have to disagree on this.

I don't find it useful, because the reason they are trying to use whichever piece of equipment is because they had it for their Windows use. I don't know of any reasonable person who would waste time trying to get broken equipment to work with Linux. Do you? :lol: The printer works with Windows; that's why they want to get it working with Linux. It is plain common sense.
It looks like several of us disagree with you on this.

IIRC, in your first reply in this thread, you said, "I've never understood the point of saying such-and-such works with Windows XP."

A couple of us told you why we think people say "such-and-such works with XP."

But then you revealed that you have read every user's mind and you know exactly what they're all thinking when they post their questions, so there's no point in discussing it with you any further -- obviously, you are right and we're all wrong.
[color=red][b]Computer[/b][/color][color=blue][b]Bob[/b][/color].com - Making Geek-Speak Chicâ„¢
News, Views, Information, Software, Help & Fun - Every Day
[url=http://www.computerbob.com][b]ComputerBob.com[/b][/url]

jakobcornelis

#19 Post by jakobcornelis »

ieee488 wrote:
Flash wrote:
ieee488 wrote: I disagree.

You and I will just have to disagree on this.

ieee, could you, please, take this argument elsewhere -- it doesn't help me one iota to get my printer going.

Thanks, jc

rjbrewer

#20 Post by rjbrewer »

JC:

I just installed my printer on a new partition.
1.Used the hpijs from the puppy package manager.
2.Generated a ppd file from this site.

http://openprinting.org/show_driver.cgi ... skJet_3930

3.Maybe yours will work with a 3845 or 3920 ppd. Download both.
4. The files download to my documents; move them to /usr/share/cups/model.
5.run cups setup again.

rjb

Full installs