eeZos 0.2 ** NEXT RELEASE**

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Keef

#16 Post by Keef »

I've done a frugal install to my Armada 3500 (PII 300, 192mb, CF in IDE adaptor). I've found that the problem seems to be the default positioning (and size) of the weather and clock applets (I had a dig around in the config files). Oh, and then I discovered you can press Alt and just drag the things!
I did manage to get this one into a higher resolution, but results were the same as with the Dell, except that you can see the edge of the dock at bottom of the screen (only found it by accident before.) Strangely, the dock (and the desktop in general), is far sharper on this old nail than on the Dell at the same resolution - 1024x768

The Display Preferences in the Xfce Settings Manager only shows Default, 800 x 600 and 640 x 480 on both machines, but doesn't allow a change - crashed on the Dell.
(The 3500 is too slow for this puplet, all too sluggish for comfortable use. Abiword takes about 15 seconds to load after clicking on the dock icon, and Firepup 25s)

nutts4life

#17 Post by nutts4life »

Excellent work keefmeister,

Thanks for testing this again. I really appreciate it.

I'm glad it looks sharper on the Dell.

I totally forgot to tell you that the screen widgets are draggable. You can right click on them and click on the lock position check box (to un check it). That will allow you to drag them.

I'm afraid a puplet of this size in frugal install will always be slow on a 300Mhz. It won't be able to load into RAM, so there's whole load of processing to be done.

I would say cease the testing now. I have lots of plans for the next release that should make your issues alot better.

Thanks again.

n4l

nutts4life

#18 Post by nutts4life »

Next release 0.2 updated.

Sage - I tested it on 800x600, it works ok, but you will have to unlock the system tray (hanging on the desktop) and move it. You will have to move the clock back into view as well. 1024 x 768 is the chosen size. If you can't that, then unplug your old 14" CRT and plugin in your 22in widescreen LCD!!!!!

I have also reduced the size of the puplet to 107Mb. I realise that i have seperated the applications into seperate sfs files. I have actually also removed 10mb our of the iso in this next release. My objective is to get the base puplet to under 100Mb.

as you can see the new relese is setup alot like muppy. Where you have a choice of what type of apps to install, large or small.

I hope you think this is all an improvement.

n4l

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

Had a very, very quick look. Seem to be too many new 'features'! Firewall doesn't run, for example, and now 'Panel' is missing from the Settings Manager. Other stuff....

PS. I've plenty of monitors here that can do 1024x768 and much higher res. but no spare pair of eyeballs.
Last edited by Sage on Wed 19 Nov 2008, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

nutts4life

#20 Post by nutts4life »

Sage,

I consider you my chief tester... you're findings are taken very seriously for each release!
I feel that you stick with me with my puplets because you know that i have the potential to create somthing special. I won't let you down with this....

I will look at the firewall, i've probably removed a library somewhere by accident.

The XFCE settings manager is odd one at the moment as i've cut down XFCE quite a bit. The main thing is that i don't use the xfce-panel NOR the orage calendar. This means that the xfce-settings manager has some useless icons on it.

My plan is to integrate the XFCE settings with the puppy setttings screen and create a good looking workable solution and a single space for eeZos settings.

these are my things to do for version 0.3:

- Update to lateset Cairo-dock (XDG support)
- Give the option to integrate with eeZos webOS
- Fix the bugs you love to find (firewall etc..)
- Improve puppy setup procedure

Plan for the future:

- Upgrade from puppy 4.0 to 4.1.1
- Look at potential of using udev (version 4.1.1) and dbus to add devices to the cario-dock. (not the desktop)
- Look at heavily integrating with the WebOS.
- Start working on improving and making puppy procedures easy to use.
- Start testing and documenting how to create a VPN and share the desktop (for user support).

What are yout thoughts with that?

Thanks,

n4l

Sage

#21 Post by Sage »

Two PM s waiting for you.