Pointer icons corrupted

Using applications, configuring, problems
matthewm1970

Pointer icons corrupted

#1 Post by matthewm1970 »

I apologize if this is already answered; I tried searching on Pointers and Pointer Icons and found tons of hits but all from other topics.

I have a working (happily!) install of Puppy 4, frugal. I have a desktop background (various jpg and png files used as my whim changes). Regularly, but not very predicably as far as I've been able to determine, my cursor pointer changes to junk. Usually when this happens I get a white square with black static in it, but sometimes it's a black rectangle with a few white lines. Almost always, it'll go back to a regular cursor after a while, or if I get vigorous with mouse movement, especially between windows. It seems to happen most when the cursor should be a wait type cursor. Same thing happened under Puppy 3, frugal before I upgraded - I'd hoped 4 would fix my issue.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm lost on this one. TIA for any advice!

-Matthew

billit

Corrupt pointer

#2 Post by billit »

As a new user, I too have this problem on Puppy 4.1

Problem does not occur using xvesa, only using xorg.

Below the arrow there is usually a square filled with random black/white (data bits?). This sometimes goes completely and sometimes thins to a rectangle. Square size is about 5% of screen.

Sometimes the garbage appears transparent and either allows view through to the desktop or gives inverse colours, difficult to tell exactly.

I have also noticed that at xorg start-up in addition to the usual central cursor there is a horizontal line of dots near top left of screen.

I'm trying to run Puppy on an HP T5520 TC and that has a VIA/S3 CLE_266 video adaptor according to Puppy. Mouse is optical USB FWIW.

Any ideas short of using xvesa (which I don't want to do as I can only get 60Hz vertical refresh)?

Thanks,

billit

matthewm1970

#3 Post by matthewm1970 »

In case it helps anyone troubleshooting this, the problem occurs much less frequently on my system when I use the "light gray" background than when I use a graphical background. With a picture on the desktop the cursor icon corrupts frequently, even with no windows open. With the gray desktop, it doesn't corrupt until I'm within an app window, and substantially less frequently even then.

-Matthew