Develpup 1.0 rc1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
puppyluvr

#31 Post by puppyluvr »

:D polymath,
Loving it so far, Once I installed the rest of SDL and Pygame it will compile almost anything without errors!!
One sticky point however..
I like Firepup...I use it on several Puppys..
But on Develpup, it acted funny..Shutting down out of the blue..
When I try to restart it, I get the "XXX is already running", no matter if I killall it, kill it in processes, even restart X, same thing! Have to totally reboot to restart it..
So I installed Firefox 3.04 ...Even worse....Removed them all and tried FF 2.0.0.17...
Same thing!!
Switched to Opera 9.50.....
No Problems..(yet anyhow)...
So there must be a prob in the mozilla libs or something...
Thought you`d want to know...

Aitch

#32 Post by Aitch »

Make sure that the project is compiled with the -g (debugging symbols) compiler option on, and the -s (strip symbols) option off. This ensures that the executable has debug symbols included.

Compiler optimization switches should be turned off, stripping symbols (-s) must be turned off.

Keep in mind that you may have to re-build your project as up-to-date object files might not be re-compiled with -g otherwise. Please be aware that in compilers other than GCC, -g and/or -s might be a different switch (-s might not ba available at all).
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?ti ... de::Blocks

maybe clues here, too

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=468206

Good stuff polymath, keep 'em coming :wink:

Aitch :)

polymath

#33 Post by polymath »

@Aitch, thanks. I'll try that tomorrow.

@puppylvr, that's weird. I've never had that happen to me. Can you isolate the error to specific sites (like YouTube or Hotmail, those seem to be funny in puppy)? And can you test QEMU and see if it actually works or if it just hangs?

Anyone wish for me to change the browser to something else, or if all else fails, go back to seamonkey (personally i don't like seamonkey all that much). I really like firepup but if it's bugging then i'll either have to fix it or change, but i don't know how firepup works well enough to fix anything but a simple error.

Also, i'll update JDK to 6u10 later, just'll have to get around to that.

Develpup 1.0 will be out within 2 weeks. I hope nothing comes up that'll delay that, like last time i lost everything after a stupid mistake.

puppyluvr

#34 Post by puppyluvr »

:D polymath,
Upon further investigation, I believe it is not a Develpup issue, but a 4.1.1 issue.
My wife has a 4.1.1 Frugal to test for me, and reports the same problem, not just with Firefox, (hers is 3.01), but with the Gimp as well..Sudden shutdown, same refusal to restart..
This leads me to think its GTK related...
On her machine, same Firefox, same Gimp, on Puppy 3.01, no issues..

As for Qemu, it starts via the console, but to be honest, having never used Qemu in Puppy, IDK where to go from there..Ive used it in Doze B4, so I know I need a script like the .bat file that launches it in Doze.
I`ll "Learn up" on it and let you know..
Unless you`ve got a "generic" launch script I can modify...
@Got a good link for instructions??
@EDIT..OK I D/L a Linux .img file and tried it but it hung, am looking for a Puppy .img
to try now...
@@EDIT / EDIT..LOL
Well, it works, in a sense.. I cant get an ISO to boot, and the image stops at "No Job Control for this machine" or some such stuff..
However. Qemu seems to be working, its just operator error..
Will keep working with it...

Aitch

#35 Post by Aitch »

Jay, Qemu is Bruce B's speciality

maybe check here, 'qemu, Bruce B'

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

polymath

#36 Post by polymath »

The problem must be on my CD because when i type 'qemu -hda /dev/hda' into the console the computer hangs. I don't know, i'll try reburning and trying on a different machine, maybe a SDL driver issue?

polymath

#37 Post by polymath »

Anyone want to change the IDEs? I like code::blocks and such, but anyone want me to ditch this in favor of KDevelop, which produces more "professional-looking" projects? KDevelop requires KDE libs though, which would take up a lot of space. I could also ditch Code::Blocks and WxGTK in favor of the C++ extension in Netbeans, but i don't really like how netbeans auto-closes {} "" and (). Maybe there's a config file somewhere that i can turn this off, i think there is somewhere... Anyway, what's your thoughts; Does Code::Blocks survive the cut? Is it worth it if it only supports C++ (all others support C++, Java, Ruby, PHP, etc.).

Code::Blocks Pros:
Good interface
Lots of project configs, like SDL project, OpenGL project, WX* project, etc.
Good syntax highlighting, fast building.

Cons:
Very large, i could probably cut ~70 MB without it, or more
Only supports C++

Netbeans Pros:
Very popularly used
Handles many languages ( http://www.netbeans.org/ , look under "Supported Technologies" )

Cons:
Hard to configure some options
I don't like it's syntax-highlighting/auto-complete

KDevelop Pros:
Develops full project files that can be compiled with ./configure, make, make install
Handles many languages ( http://www.kdevelop.org/HEAD/doc/api/ht ... tatus.html )

Cons:
Is very complicated the first time you use it (it gets easier after a while)
Relies on KDE libs

If anyone has anything else to say, or wants to voice an opinion, post.

Thanks!

polymath

#38 Post by polymath »

noone?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#39 Post by Lobster »

People don't always post everyday or even every week.
You might like to include the genie language that Barry has provided a pet for and is using as the basis of the Woof puplet.
Other than that what you have done is fine - about to
burn it for a programmer friend - so many thanks :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Aitch

#40 Post by Aitch »

Sorry polymath

Anything with a 'K' in, reminds me of knoppix, - 'big bloaty, & unnecessary' spring to mind - but I'm not a programmer, so take it with a pinch of salt

What you've done seems fine to me, & I introduced a friend to it who is a programmer [xbasic] & he likes it

I concur with Lobster re: reply rates, some people do other things, too

polymath

#41 Post by polymath »

@aitch, you should really try kubuntu intrepid, i used to be a GNOME person but the new KDE 4 is amazing.

Anyway, i'll try to get more extensions in netbeans, and if i can get everything to work the way i want it, maybe eventually replace code::blocks. Though i love it, redundant applications (that weigh in the same as the default puppy ISO) cost too much space, and the ISO is about 400 MB now.

Also, maybe i'll give compiling the KDE and GNOME libraries, that'd help a whole lot of people...

Anyone know how to make puppy multiuser? I know grafpup has that option, but do you know how he did it?

droope

#42 Post by droope »

I would like to offer myself to make a design for your website, only 3000$

J/k :P For free... If you'd like, i'm bored and i'll start doing it anyway. I'll let you know.

Cheers!
dRoope

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#43 Post by Lobster »

Look forward to your website droope.
:)

I prefer netbeans (to answer the question)
one thing I found, is the tutorials in Netbeans do not start firepup

but if you go to tools/options from the Netbeans menu
you can change browser under 'general' to
/usr/bin/firefox
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

polymath

#44 Post by polymath »

Alright.

I'm going to update netbeans to v6.5stable instead of the 6.5 beta. Also, i'm going to try a technique to change some netbeans configurations, like that autocloseing function, which is SO annoying. I'll also make it include Ruby and C++ support (any other langs?). PHP is already installed. MySQL, don't know how to configure for puppy, keeps spitting out error messages about missing tempfiles, i'll work on that later (unless someone happens to have a .PET for the latest MySQL).

Oh, and a web design would be great, if you'd be willing. I can give you user/pass to the web site hosting ( at 110mb.com, great free hosting ).

I'll give those libraries a stab tonight.

polymath

#45 Post by polymath »

Alright. I have a few new packages. First is svn. Even though devx includes svn, it doesn't have ssl support, so i found a recompile that supported ssl on a fresh install of puppy. Next, there's Cmake, Dbus, and Dbus-GLib, which are deps for KDElibs, which will end up being an addon package (or SFS). Also, i'm going to compile a gnome sfs. All this will be tested and out before new-years. Versions will be KDE 4.3 and GNome 2.24.2. KDE will include Kdevelop pet as well. Alright, now i need to make yet another dep!

Jim1911

#46 Post by Jim1911 »

polymath
Also, i'm going to compile a gnome sfs. All this will be tested and out before new-years. Versions will be KDE 4.3 and GNome 2.24.2. KDE will include Kdevelop pet as well. Alright, now i need to make yet another dep!
Quite an undertaking, I'm looking forward to seeing those since I'm a fan of both. Sorry that I don't have the knowledge to help in the compliation.

Jim

polymath

#47 Post by polymath »

Wow, I feel really stupid.

I was tired and just copying and pasting commands from kde's tech base into the terminal, and forgot that i needed to initialize DBUSDIR before i used it as the installation prefix... so i need to do a complete reconfigure so that it'll install into /usr. Next time i'll be more careful :)

polymath

#48 Post by polymath »

There are no guides for installing gnome from source! all they say is use this autobuilder, which doesn't install :( Besides, i need to manually do new2dir. Oh well, i just have to download a billion tarballs and just for the tar command to extract them all, then do a cd dir, make, new2dir make install, cd .., repeat. It'll take a while.

Aitch

#49 Post by Aitch »

......which will end up being an addon package (or SFS). Also, i'm going to compile a gnome sfs......
friendly advice

be consistent - SFS is the preferred option others seem to be favouring :wink:

polymath

#50 Post by polymath »

so a .PET for the small stuff, and SFS for everything else? I probably wouldn't bother with an sfs for stuff under 5-10MB.

Anyway, things are going good, though QT is taking FOREVER to compile. Yes, i know there is a repo version of QT, but i'm making sure that it is configured correctly with KDE. I am betting that a few hours of compiling now will save me days worth of stuggling with reconfig later.