Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 May 2018, 22:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Can't boot from USB CD with wakepup2 floppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
eep803

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct 2008, 12:29    Post subject:  Can't boot from USB CD with wakepup2 floppy
Subject description: "read error high mem corrupted not exiting to dos" error

Hi, I'm having trouble with my puppy. I have an old 166MHz 64M ram laptop which had windows on it and was pretty impotent. I put an extra partition on the HDD and installed puppy 4.1 using windows based Unetbootin. All was great except that puppy ran nofaster than windows (2000).

I tried adding Gentoo but when I restarted puppy gives errors and leaves me with a hash prompt. If I boot into windows then it fails to find bootini file and cant load windows.

Sooooo, I only have a floppydrive and a usbport. I've made a wakepup2 floppy and have plugged in a usb cd drive. It boots from the floppy, finds the init file on the usbcd then gives me options for loading puppy. Whichever option I try it always stops with a "read error high mem corrupted not exiting to dos" error.

Please help, its my only computer which is need for work and am currently running round friends houses to use their computers and internet.

I really like puppy and have used my live cd on many other computers with no problems and always blowmy mates away with how easy it is to set up a whole operating system in a second.

Cheers, Dave
Bruce B

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov 2008, 02:27    Post subject:  

Welcome David,

Search the forum for any success stories from people using Unetbootin, if you find one, please post the link.

I don't expect you to get much of any help, (1) probably none know the answer and (2) we don't know why Unetbootin. Puppy handles its own install.

Apart from the Unetbootin, yes, I think others can and will help.

Bruce

eep803

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov 2008, 12:00    Post subject:  

Hi, thanks for the reply. I dont think this is a unetbootin problem as such. It may have been caused by it but now my problems are with wakepup2 trying to wake up my pup.

I used unetbootin because I couldnt see how to get puppy onto the laptop in the first as I had no cd drive and it cant boot from usb. I've had to borrow a usb cd drive as a desperate last measure to try and get this back on its feet.

If I boot in the puppy partition it does go through the motions of loading kernels and stuff but as it goes through them it fails to load a few and then rather than giving me the nice gui gives me a flashing prompt. Would it be possible to resurect it from that point rather than trying to go through wakepup?

Cheers, Dave
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: