About tombh

News, happenings
ttuuxxx

#16 Post by ttuuxxx »

BarryK wrote:
darrelljon wrote:Even if the Puppy project struggled, it could switch to a Debian base. If the Puppy project still struggled, the ideals of a small fast usable distro will prevail.
How about an Ubuntu base? I have hinted on my blog that this interests me, even if it does result in a fatter Puppy. After 4.1.1, I'm planning to work on some wild new ideas, that are so different that it can't be considered as another Puppy or puplet or even a fork, it would have to be a new distro. But, these are just ideas I've got floating in my head

-- like a distro based on Ubuntu packages, NO Puppy packages at all, NO repos required for Puppy.
-- distro built entirely from a script that downloads Ubuntu packages, pulls them apart and builds a slim distro that looks and feels much like Puppy.

Heh heh, these are just wild ideas for now, don't take it seriously unless I actually do come up with such a magic script. :wink:
Hey Barry you can count me in on that idea with Ubuntu. I think it would be a nice change of pace,. It would make it so much eaiser to have say a gnome or kde desktop, Just point and click, not 50Hrs or so of package building, but just 1 or 2 clicks and maybe 150MB download.
That could be very interesting indeed.
But wouldn't we need a basic repo for all the puppy only software, Plus things like Gimp & Inkscape are about 5 times larger on Ubuntu so having a regular reduced in size, Just essentials repo would be handy. They use dbus and other bloatware software etc
But hey I'll support it, No doubt aboot it :wink:
ttuuxxx

Tombh
Well it was nice having you around, I'm sure your make the debian forum etc a better place. Puppy will always be here if you choose to come back. Take care
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

alienjeff wrote:@BarryK

That was a most peculiar way of bidding tombh adieu: so personal and heartfelt ...
The undercurrent in my post was that I might do something interesting that will cause him to stay around. It was an indirect way of responding sympathetically!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

alienjeff

#18 Post by alienjeff »

@BarryK

You're using the wrong bait. Reread tombh's original post.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

Never liked Ubuntu, probably due to an aversion to Gnome (desktop, that is, not necessarily apps). And so far, Xbuntu has proved a whisker short of rubbish. However, with this morning's 8.10 releases and, in particular, this:

"Xubuntu 8.10 features a new plugin for the Totem movie player that fetches free digital content from the BBC. To enable it, start Totem (Applications -> Multimedia -> Movie Player), enable the plugin (Edit -> Plugins -> BBC content viewer) and select "BBC" from the drop-down labelled "Playlist".

Thanks to the BBC and Collabora for their work developing this feature. "

it seems worthwhile revisiting the situation. Would be interesting to hear whether non-UK citizens can benefit yet?

The incredible bloat has always been off-putting, too, so let's see if BK can slash through the dross.

Pizzasgood

#20 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't want to give the impression that I've finished with Puppy, but I have to be honest and say that I'm finding it harder to see a future in Puppy. This is of course largely to do with Barry's retirement, and those that read the Coop thread will now that I'm keen on a more formal approach to the development of Puppy. Again I don't want anyone to think that I'm against the direction Puppy currently finds itself steering, but more that it just doesn't excite me personally.
I think that it's necessary to begin informally while people get used to it. As we go, the need for a little structure will become apparent. It might seem like learning things the hard way, but we'll figure it out.

Puppy's going to go through a dull period for a little while everything gets sorted. I think it's likely to become much brighter in the long run.

Remember, the surfer does not drive the wave, he rides it.

Nothing wrong with taking a break from Puppy, even if you don't yet realize that it's only a break ;)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

KF6SNJ

#21 Post by KF6SNJ »

@Tombh,

I would greatly appreciate it if you stuck around awhile longer. There are several directions that puppy could go, including the potential for a fork that results in an entirely new linux distribution. That is part of the beauty of puppy. A good example of that is Muppy. It is more of an OS in its own right than it is a puppy derivative. How awesome is that? Even GrafPup is to a point where it could almost be considered a separate OS. To me, that is pretty exciting. BarryK gave us a great OS that has become the base for some pretty incredible stuff. In some ways, puppy has a more formalized structure that many of the other linux distros. Who knows, it could be puppy that leads a new string of OS's that are lightweight and all use the same package management setup. Indeed, I plan to use puppy to help me to remaster and update greycat linux.

@BarryK,
Puppy has been a wonderful treat. Thank you. Kitten linux? That may appeal to my wife. I know I am planning to try to remaster greycat soon. I wonder if perhaps much of what is in greycat can be emulated and updated with puppy as a base?
The only windows I have are those on my home.

Eyes-Only

#22 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Tom!

Congrats on the new job Tom and I wish you tremendous success with it and with all that your hand touches to do in your future ahead.

We've never spoken personally but I did follow the thread through on the idea of a "Co-Op" for Puppy, and it was inside that thread, in your writings, I got to glimpse the character and charisma, the morals and upbringing---all combined together which had produced this wonderful person named "Tom" who had graced us with his presence here on the Puppy forum.

It's been a true honour to say that we've had a person of your stature and moral fibre counted amongst us, and I likewise agree with the others that finding another to fill your shoes around here will be an exercise in futility.

And so in closing Tom, I won't say "Good-bye and God-speed mate!" as I'm hoping that what happened to ME when I left will likewise happen with YOU. ;) That you'll miss AJ's witty barbs, WhoDo's helpful demeanour, Ttuuxx's banter and helpfulness, Sage and Aitch's keen insight to things, Mark's friendliness---and everyone else around here (or I'd be all day at this!)---and after a break of a few months you'll be back once again, and Puppy will prosper, being richer from your added experiences!

Well hey! It's my reality after all, right? A guy CAN dream, can't he? :lol:

Good luck buddy!

Amicalement et bonne chance Tom!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

cb88

#23 Post by cb88 »

Tombh: I use my computer everyday for work, and it's incredibly important how well supported and stable the operating system that runs it is.
sounds like antibuntu to me... or as most people say Debian stable as a rock

on a side note im checking out sidux supposedly a "ship through the high waves of the sea of sid" or something like that whereas ubuntu is a fragile glass spheeeere of delusion

a base on debian testing might be acceptable but sid/ubuntu probably not
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

sjurics

the way things are

#24 Post by sjurics »

this is what i think, but i´m stupid:
there is a thing we call puppy filosofy (or puppy goals).
it is universal no matter what is the base of distro (debian or else)
there are people who favor ubuntu (wich i personaly don´t)
there are loads of dollars behind ubuntu.
there are no big money behind puppy. only good intentions.

first: puppy community should create several sections:
-puppy ubuntu disto- ubuntu with puppy goals
-puppy original editions
-Barry K. new ideas and new projects

each of this three sections should have several members to create distros.
at the moment only puppy ubuntu is missing section members.

second:
attempts to make linux portable apps

third:
is there a way for Barry to make a some kind of bussines deal to find somebody to finance puppy (i know how stupid this sounds)?

after all, puppy on distrowatch has better rating than kubuntu.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#25 Post by BarryK »

cb88 wrote:
Tombh: I use my computer everyday for work, and it's incredibly important how well supported and stable the operating system that runs it is.
sounds like antibuntu to me... or as most people say Debian stable as a rock

on a side note im checking out sidux supposedly a "ship through the high waves of the sea of sid" or something like that whereas ubuntu is a fragile glass spheeeere of delusion

a base on debian testing might be acceptable but sid/ubuntu probably not
Well, my mythical magical build script could do it from Debian or Ubuntu archives.

I guess that the Ubuntu repositories are structured just like the Ubuntu ones. Right now I'm downloading all the Intepid i386 packages from Ubuntu "main" category -- and seriously cutting into my relative's monthly download limit. I found the 'Packages' file at Ubuntu, which lists all the Intrepid i386 packages, along with the path to them, then wrote a little script to grab each one. I don't see any difficulty in making the magical proposed script just as easily grab packages from Debian archives to build the new "puppy" distro.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sage

#26 Post by Sage »

I withdraw any possible endorsement and interest in Xbuntu. Bunch of idiots. Close to impossible for normal mortals to connect with Static IP, even via the CLI. I found unanswered requests dating back to 2005 to reinstate the proper NetworkManager. There are one or two other utterly blinkered distros that also fail to provide this most basic facility. Avoid this one at all costs.

gerry

#27 Post by gerry »

I can't see the attraction of Ubuntu- why not use the real thing- Debian?

Gerry

cb88

#28 Post by cb88 »

well for me sidux was a waste of time... surely it was something releated only to me that was causeing it to be that crashy.... it did seem well configured VS ubuntu

back to etch for now with a few select updates namely wine 1.0.1 checkinstall from a private repo and a few things from backports and sid (just openarena gamedata it is missing from etch-backports)

@tombh what version exactly are you running I don't believe you mentioned... although i suspect etch or lenny (would be running lenny but stuff started breaking ...my fault really)
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

dinky

#29 Post by dinky »

LOOVE the idea of scripts to build from Ubuntu Barry, and think that would be very popular... or for that matter Debian. Think this is a totally different project to Puppy, but could be great to start. Let us know here in the forums if it goes ahead. This could simplify things immensely... Pupbuntu? Lol.
~dinky

raffy

Re: website

#30 Post by raffy »

tombh wrote:So with regards to the website, if there is anyone willing or interested to become more involved then I'd be happy to show them the ropes. Something that I've been meaning to suggest anyway, regardless of all this, is to rotate the main contact email address. There can sometimes be regular emails, so it would be good if someone else would like to take this over.
Sad to hear about this announcement, Tom, but to answer your question, I recall that prit1, hairywill and whodo are all co-admins of the site. Whodo could be busy with 4.2 now, so let's try hairywill then prit1. I will probably catch whatever still needs to be done after they have spoken.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

big_bass

#31 Post by big_bass »

tombh
I use my computer everyday for work, and it's incredibly
important how well supported and stable the operating system that runs it is

no need to explain I run Slackware 12.1 as my other OS

tombh
I'm finding it harder to see a future in Puppy.
This is of course largely to do with Barry's retirement,

the main reason is not because puppy needs something new or exciting
it just needs to stop radically changing
making the older versions obsolete
who wants to invest a lot of personal time into something
that gets dropped like a hot potato

now all the new advancements are welcomed
they are clever and intelligent

but who wants to be a team member
for a disposable OS ?

puppy could be so much more
with a team of users digging in
and working out all the current issues
and just sticking with something
sad that is not the present direction

so I understand your decision

and like you
I wish things were different
but they are not atm

I am happy that I have made
great advancements understanding puppy
and can build puppy even outside of puppy
on another kernel
so I am still having fun
building what I want
for my needs

you will learn a lot from Debian
and I hope it filters back some how

Good luck and stay creative

Barry K you got on distrowatch as #5
but if you want Ubuntu to use as an Ubuntu base
here is a link http://ubuntulite.tuxfamily.org/?q=node/2
I know that you can easily do it and it can be done

big_bass
Attachments
ulite-blob.png
(8.09 KiB) Downloaded 1454 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

However, I simply don't have the inclination to continue with some of the development work I'm involved with at Puppy, namely wNOP, Petch and the community website.
Hi Tom, Warren

I have admin status on the website
as Warren is funding the website and co-ordinating 4.2
I will up my involvement to take over the website (new admins welcome too) unless someone else has offered?
Not sure what is required? . . . Have a feeling I might need to learn some PHP (I always thought that was a drug - eh wait that is PCP . . .)
Nothing too radical planned :)

I was going to write a front end to Petch but will leave that for another day or better programmer.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

#33 Post by WhoDo »

Lobster wrote:Hi Tom, Warren

I have admin status on the website
as Warren is funding the website and co-ordinating 4.2
I will up my involvement to take over the website (new admins welcome too) unless someone else has offered?
Not sure what is required? . . . Have a feeling I might need to learn some PHP (I always thought that was a drug - eh wait that is PCP . . .)
Nothing too radical planned :)

I was going to write a front end to Petch but will leave that for another day or better programmer.
Can't think of a better or more committed successor, Ed. I wouldn't relish managing the web site and coordinating 4.2 as well as building the next edition of EZpup. Too little life left in this old dog! :P

I'll bet raffy and HairyWill would be willing to pitch in and lend you a hand, too!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

dank

Puppy is the Jam.

#34 Post by dank »

Hi,

I'm new here but I have been thrashing around with Puppy for a few months and I just love how well it works on old computers.

It's fun, like 3.1 with soul.

Today I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on an oldish laptop 850 celeron. OMG did it suck, sluggish jerky and no alternate window manager would save it. I tried XFCE and Fluxbox but all that Gnome dreck was lurking and eating my Celery.

The whole puppy concept of light weight is just so........great. I mean in just the three releases from 7.10 to 8.10 Ubuntu has become bloatware.

Not if you have a snappy box, I just built a LAMP on a 2.4 gig, but I can't afford do do that very often and I love reusing old machines and am turning people on to having free as in speech computers.

Is there some way to roll APT into Puppy?

The benefits as I see them are:
You can then get all the goodies you want, from a larger pool. ( You guys are going Lua, I am going Python, with APT, no biggie)

People will become more aware of the incredibly cool, light weight, splendid Puppy Philosophy and Apps, and come support and spread the word.

I dunno enough to know if this is feasable, but it seems like a magic bullet to me.

Dan.

P.S. I unlurked to say this because I think Puppy is important.

EDIT: 4.1 just finished downloading I am going to go nuke that Ubuntu install!

maddox

#35 Post by maddox »

Hi, tombh,
- Thanks very much for your time and effort working with the Puppy community.
- Hope your new job works out well. :)
- Maybe later on, you'll have a bit of spare-time to come back, and share an idea or two.