pcPuppyOS FINAL

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pizzasgood

pcPuppyOS FINAL

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

pcPuppyOS 3.01 Final
Note: After installing, you may wish to install the patch attached below. Additionally, a small bug in PET-Be-Gone has been fixed since releasing this. If a couple more small bugs are found I'll build and upload a revised ISO.

NOTE: The official site has not been updated yet, so download from my own if you want the latest version (the links starting six lines below).
http://www.pcpuppyos.com/
http://www.pcpuppyos.com/download.html <== Official download page

The following are the on my own server and up to date:

ISO:
pcpuppyos_3.01-rev1.iso - 614 MB
md5sum : 5716ab0ddc60b982f1f020100563d816

Final -> Rev1 .delta file (to update the "Final" iso to Revision 1 instead of downloading the whole thing):
pcpos_FINAL_to_REV1.delta - 24 MB
md5sum : fefb692e2c9f4af204246a1759603ada

Code: Select all

xdelta3 -d -s pcpuppyos_3.01.iso pcpos_FINAL_to_REV1.delta pcpuppyos_3.01-rev1.iso
RC6 -> Final .delta file (to update an RC6 iso to FINAL instead of downloading the whole thing):
pcpos_RC6_to_FINAL.delta - 48 MB
md5sum : 7333f5f2c937b5760e55f45f97d2f036

xdelta3 -d -s pcpuppyos_3.01-rc6.iso pcpos_RC6_to_FINAL.delta pcpuppyos_3.01.iso
WineTools addon (mfc40.dll, dcom98, True Type fonts, and a heavily tweaked Wine setup):
NOTICE: The WineTools addon contains elements which require the user to have a valid license for Windows
WineTools_preconfigured.pet - 12 MB
md5sum : db8067f5f596e0b07e349b2ce022b92e
Personally, I recommend against using this if you can help it. WineTools is somewhat dated (last update in 2005, whereas Wine was just updated last Friday).

Changes in REV1 since FINAL
  • upgraded Pebble
  • upgraded timesysnc to 0.2, which uses a list of timeservers at /etc/timeservers, and will go through it until it finds one that works, then caches it at /etc/.last_good_timeserver so that it doesn't have to use trial-and-error every time.
  • updated ClamAV to 0.94.1rc1, along with the virus definitions.
Changes in FINAL since RC6
  • fixed Pebble - no longer a reset during the switch_root
  • added MU's gimp-2.4.3, because Puppy's Gimp has fatal bug w/ freeform selects. Besides, this is newer.
  • updated ClamAV program to 0.93
  • tweaked freshclam to only show popup when there's been an actual update
  • updated Wine to 0.9.60
  • changed Wine to use user "wine" rather than "spot"
  • corrected handling of spaces and parameters in Wine's wrapper
  • updated WineTools for 0.9.60
  • updated Firefox to 2.0.0.14
  • added gqview, set as default run action for images

Sorry, but I haven't set up a torrent yet. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow if I have time.
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Mon 22 Mar 2010, 01:06, edited 6 times in total.

raffy

great

#2 Post by raffy »

Great news! (Almost) No packages to worry about with this pup - lots of applications are there, built-in. Congratulations!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

These links are coblitzed
Coblitzed made download a lot faster - estimated x3
It is a big distro. What is taking up so much space?

The DHCP with ethernet set up automatically
and booting with a set up screen seems less geeky
but there is a verbose mode I take it?

(I used f2 and puppy pfix=ram)

A great for client customisation of Puppy.
It seems the network software, Centos and Citrix was it,
are central to usage - not even sure what they are . . .

Well done.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Disable the boot-splash:
puppy pfix=nosplash

Force Puppy to not copy into ram:
puppy pfix=noram

Switch to screen with list of boot options:
[F2]

The big software additions are:
  • Gimp
    ClamAV
    Oxygen Office (enhanced version of Open Office)
    Built-in devx_xxx.sfs file (less hassle)
    Wine
    Java
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    Kompozer
    Upgraded CUPS
    IceWM (not big software, but is a notable change)

All partitions are automounted. This can be disabled from toggle menu.
Setting your root password is required, but logging in can be disabled from the toggle menu.
The remaster script has been improved to add Full-HD support, if you have an ISO handy.
Any executable placed in /etc/init.x/ will be run when X starts.
Dmcrypt is installed and is an option for encrypting save-files.

There are also some bug-fixes and several graphical improvements over the standard Puppy.

Important tidbits to know:
  • Wine's files are located in /root/wine/.wine, not /root/.wine.
  • You may occasionally need to run the "Reown Wine" command from Start->Utilities->Wine, in order to make sure the user "wine" owns the Wine files (mainly only a problem if you manually add things to /root/wine/).
  • If you want to permanently move the clock, you must right-click it and close it after moving. Otherwise it doesn't save. It can be re-started again from Start->Desktop
  • To disable/enable many things (clock, calendar, 24h time, autologin, etc.) check out the Toggle Menu in Start->Utilities

The full list of added and removed software (not counting things that were just changed):

Addded
  • cursors
    flash-9
    gmp-4.2.2-i486
    gtk_themes
    icewm-1.2.30
    kompozer-0.77
    limewire-4.14.8
    mu_gtk_themechooser
    pstoedit-3.44
    undeb
    unrpm
    devx-301
    openmotif-2.2.3
    cisco_vpn_client
    citrix_client-10.6
    gtksamba-0.3.2pl1
    samba-3.0.21c
    winetools-0.9
    xorg_OPENGL-7.2
    mount_all-0.1
    xawtv-3.95
    skype_static-2.0.0.13
    qc-usb-0.6.5-k2.6.21.7
    toggle_exec-0.1
    xsane-0.994
    sane-1.0.18
    conky-1.4.8-i686
    gslapt_puppy-0.3.18
    libesd-0.2.36
    libjack-0.0.23
    gtkbasic-0.0.3
    gtkbasic_analogclock
    Rainlendar-Lite-2.2
    cdrdao-1.2.1-1
    pcdripper-3.2
    gspcav1-20070508-i586
    xine_extra_codecs-1-1
    devx-301
    gutenprint-5.0.1.98.1
    cups-1.3.5
    ghostscript-8.61
    gsview_afplgs-4.7-8.54
    qt-3.3.8
    ooop_extensions-2.3.1.2
    ooop_FULL-2.3.1
    xfwall-1.4-41
    timesync-0.1
    inkscape-0.43_STATIC_GTKMM
    hpijs-1.7
    toggle_autologin-0.1
    thunderbird-2.0.0.9
    scramDisk-1.2-i486
    cryptsetup-1.0.5
    device-mapper.1.02.24
    icewinconfig-0.2
    toggle_24htime-0.1
    hexedit-1.2.10
    petbegone-0.1
    0pkgs_db-3.01
    jre-1.6.0_03
    zdrv-301
    rp_pppoe-3.8-patched1
    escp_gui
    xdelta
    prettysyslinux-0.2
    pebble_post_init-1.0
    ntfs-3g-1.1004
    ntfsprogs-2.0.0
    ctorrent-dnh3.2-patched
    pctorrent-1.4
    mrxvt-0.5.2
    newt-0.52.2
    partimage-0.6.7
    slang-2.0.7
    hardinfo-0.4.2.3-i486
    gimp-2.4.3
    wine-0.9.60
    clamav-0.93
    firefox-2.0.0.14
    gqview-2.0.1

Removed
  • abiword-2.4.5
    abiword_PLUGINS-2.4.5
    epdfview-0.1.6
    gnumeric-1.6.3
    gnumeric_PLUGINS-1.6.3
    goffice-0.2.1
    jwm2-2.0.1
    jwmconfig-23sept07
    seamonkey-1.1.2-1
    mtpaint-3.10
    pbcdripper-2.5
    gutenprint-5.0.1-1
    espgs-8.15.4
    inkscapelite-0.36.2
    ntfs_3g-1.417
    ntfsprogs-1.13.1
    ctorrent-2.2
    pupctorrent-0.9
    xproc-1.2
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

GrayGhost

pcpuppyFINAL

#5 Post by GrayGhost »

Thanks Pizzasgood,
I really like pcpuppyOS. It has all the extras and the apps I use most and it still screams.... keep up the good work.

GrayGhost

GrayGhost

#6 Post by GrayGhost »

Hey Pizzasgood,
I seem to be having trouble upgrading ClamAV. Freshclam downloads the update but then spits out this error ... Downloading main.cvd [100%]
ERROR: Can't rename /usr/share/clamav/clamav-70faaece27159dddca0b2f8a3d44c4c3 to main.cvd
Permissions seem to be right : owner,group clamav,clamav

Any ideas?

Thanks,
GrayGhost

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Check that "clamav" also owns the directory /usr/share/clamav/. I may have overlooked that when I upgraded it. To fix, run chown clamav:clamav /usr/share/clamav

I'd check it myself, but I've already moved out of my dorm for the summer and my computer is now packed away. I did put a compressed archive of the pcPuppyOS build tree on my webspace in case I need it, but it's 1.2 gb so a large download. I'd rather wait until I get to my mom's house on Tuesday, as she has a better connection than my grandma.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

GrayGhost

#8 Post by GrayGhost »

I checked the permissions on /usr/share/clamav and it was clamav:clamav but I tried the chown command anyway to make sure and I still get the same error. Anywhere I else I should check?

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't have any other ideas. I'll download the latest version of pcPuppyOS to my laptop on Tuesday or Wednesday and see what the problem is.

Meanwhile, you can still update things manually by downloading the main.cvd and daily.cvd files from http://clamav.net to /usr/share/clamav/.

GrayGhost

#10 Post by GrayGhost »

Thanks for the replies. I will do the manual upgrades for now.

Diamond

#11 Post by Diamond »

Please,can someone explain,step-by-step how to update RC6 to final

xdelta3 -d -s pcpuppyos_3.01-rc6.iso pcpos_RC6_to_FINAL.delta pcpuppyos_3.01.iso

I understand that I have to type this in a console,but it is little fuzzy to me :)

sorry to all of you and thanx!

klu9

#12 Post by klu9 »

Hi Diamond

have you read http://puppylinux.org/wikka/XdeltA ? That has a pretty good explanation (I hope... I wrote it :D )

The section titled To upgrade an old ISO file with a delta file to make the new ISO file is what you need.

Let us know how it goes.
[size=75]- Remember: it's a [url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxMainPage]wiki[/url]. You can contribute too! :D
- Puplet creators, see [url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DistributingYourPuplet]DistributingYourPuplet[/url][/size]

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

If you stick both the iso and the .delta file in the same location, you can open a terminal there by pressing either the back-quote key or right-clicking and going to Window -> Terminal Here. Then just copy/paste in that command and hit enter.

To copy/paste, highlight the command, then middle-click in the terminal window.

Otherwise, if you'd rather type the command, you can use tab-completion to speed it up (start typing, then hit tab).

Pizzasgood

#14 Post by Pizzasgood »

GrayGhost wrote:Hey Pizzasgood,
I seem to be having trouble upgrading ClamAV. Freshclam downloads the update but then spits out this error ... Downloading main.cvd [100%]
ERROR: Can't rename /usr/share/clamav/clamav-70faaece27159dddca0b2f8a3d44c4c3 to main.cvd
Permissions seem to be right : owner,group clamav,clamav

Any ideas?

Thanks,
GrayGhost
Sorry, but I can't seem to reproduce this. Unless you have any other data you forgot to mention?

Maybe manually replacing the files will fix things.

mtcorbeil

ClamAV update problem

#15 Post by mtcorbeil »

I have pcPuppyOS installed on 3 of my computers and I have the same problem on 2 of them and not on the third one. The 2 with the problem also have PC Linux 2007 (complete install) and one of them also has Windows 98 installed, all partitions are ext3 and fat 32. The one that doesn't have the problem has XP pro installed partitions are NTFS and fat 32 which also has all the pcPuppyOS files copied on it. I don't know if that could be of any help but here it is...

Pizzasgood

#16 Post by Pizzasgood »

What types of installs are they? So far I've been testing with a frugal install booted with pfix=ram, but maybe things are different when there's a save file, or if it's a full-hd install.

mtcorbeil

ClamAV

#17 Post by mtcorbeil »

All 3 computers have Save file with pcPuppyOS files copied on Fat 32 partitions and are booted from floppy disks

GrayGhost

#18 Post by GrayGhost »

Pizzasgood,
Now that I have manually updated the main.cvd file the daily updates are working fine. Must have been something with that file. Sorry I forgot to tell you last time that I have a frugal install with a non-encrypted save file on a linux ext3 partition. Right now everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks,
GG

mtcorbeil

Clamav

#19 Post by mtcorbeil »

I started from scratch and made a new savefile. Good thing pcPuppy doesn't much customizing other than Firefox and adding a wallpaper, then I updated clamav files directly from the web site manually, that went well, but updates still doesn't work, I get this error message "./clam_wrapper: line 11: 5409 Illegal instruction" and clamav directory fills with folders with names like: "clamav-dec968622970595d3727190a2daf9c8f and with files with names like: "clamav-df7b0bc0311490603093ae68715e94c9" and it adds a new folder and file every time I try to update but funny thing is the cvd main and daily files have the correct date and time. I tried to scan a folder and got this error message: "./clam_wrapper: line 11: 5966 Illegal instruction". But what I really don't understand is why it works ok on one the 3 computers??? All 3 have the same pcPuppyOS setup installed on Fat 32 partitions

Pizzasgood

#20 Post by Pizzasgood »

Try updating with the command freshclam rather than the menu entry.

I don't see yet what is causing the "Illegal Instruction" error, but I do see that it has issues with spaces. Spaces in files or directories inside the directory being scanned are fine, but spaces in the path leading to the directory you tell it to scan will result in errors. This happens in roughly the same chunks of code that cause the other error, and isn't something that can just be solved by adding quotation marks.

So, I'm going to scrap that chunk and redo it from scratch. I never liked it anyways. Too finicky. This probably won't solve that permissions related bug (I think that's just related to corrupt files), but it should get rid of the clamav_wrapper errors along with the filename problems.

meanwhile, scans can be done manually like this:

clamscan /path/to/my_file
Or if you want to keep a log, do it like this:

clamscan -l /root/clamav.LOG /path/to/my_file
And to recursively scan a directory, add the good old -r like so:

clamscan -l /root/clamav.LOG -r /path/to/my_directory