How to FULL install with working personal setting?

Using applications, configuring, problems
d4p

How to FULL install with working personal setting?

#1 Post by d4p »

A while ago I remastered puppy 4 livecd incl. “my Personal settings
Attachments
remaster.jpg
(91.31 KiB) Downloaded 857 times

Kal

#2 Post by Kal »

If you have remastered with your personal settings, then they will be installed on a full install from that CD.

You might also check your PUPSTATE file at /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE and see that it reads: PUPMODE=12

This is for a live CD, it will be 2 for a full install. It may be reading something else, so check it. I seem to be on a PUPSTATE kick today.

Good Luck, Kal

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3 Post by Béèm »

d4p,
If I understand well altho you have package a pup_save on the live CD it's still a separate .2fs file.

I am afraid the puppy installer won't automatically install that pup_save also.

I think you have to mount this pup_save after the full install is done and then 'merge' it to the new installation.

I know another poster was in that same situation, but I don't know if he finally succeeded in doing so.

I can't recall if anybody has been successful already.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Kal

#4 Post by Kal »

Beem:

When you remaster, your pup save file became integrated into the new pup_xxx.sfs. Of course, this is why you are remastering. This is one reason for the white out files, for removed items to be left out. As he said, his personal setting are on the remastered CD up to that point. You then will need to make a new pup save to go with the remastered CD, when it asks you. Make sure to hide or rename the old save file, (like pup_save-xxx.2fs.old).

For example if you happen to have an extra .sfs file, being used at the time of the remaster, it is included too.

This is how I install the development files most of the time without having to copy them to the hard drive install separately.

Good Luck, Kal

d4p

#5 Post by d4p »

Hi Kal, beem

This is pupstate inside pup_save-1-1.2fs file:

PUPMODE=12
PDEV1=''
DEV1FS=''
PUPSFS='hda3,ext2,/pup_400.sfs'
PUPSAVE='hda3,ext2,/pup_save-1-1.2fs'
PMEDIA='idehd'
SATADRIVES=''
#these directories are unionfs layers in /initrd...
SAVE_LAYER='/pup_rw'
PUP_LAYER='/pup_ro2'
#The partition that has the pup_save file is mounted here...
PUP_HOME='/mnt/dev_save'
#(in /initrd) ...note, /mnt/home is a link to it.
#this file has extra kernel drivers and firmware...
ZDRV='hda3,ext2,/zdrv_400.sfs'
PSWAPFILE=''
PSAVEMARK=''

You are right, PUPMODE is 2 on HDD Full install.

The puppy full installer won't install/mount pup_save-1-1.2fs.

Do you know, how to connect to pup_save-1-1.2fs ?
Thanks!

Kal

#6 Post by Kal »

If you remastered with that pup save file, most all of your settings will be in the remastered CD. This now, if you make a full install from it, transfers to the full install when using the Puppy universal installer.

To mount go to wherever you have the pup_save-1-1.2fs with full install, you can use pmount to get to the partition it's on.

If you want to mount your save file, just left click on it, using rox-filer and it should mount and open it. Note, you cannot do this while using that pup save for a live CD or frugal install, unless you start it at boot with the "pfix=ram" parameter, which stops the use of the save file.

Of course, if you are using a live CD, using that save file you're already there.

Good Luck, Kal

d4p

#7 Post by d4p »

You then will need to make a new pup save to go with the remastered CD, when it asks you. Make sure to hide or rename the old save file, (like pup_save-xxx.2fs.old).
Maybe you can call my live cd, Frugal-remastered Cd.
My live cd wont ask you where to save session, it will autosave to Ram.
To mount go to wherever you have the pup_save-1-1.2fs with full install, you can use pmount to get to the partition it's on.
Yes, pup_save-1-1.2fs with full install is mountable, but it doesnt mean anything to the full system (No connection at all)

Kal

#8 Post by Kal »

When I make a remastered Puppy, it's normally from a frugal install and I just do the no iso option. This reduces the use of a CD.

If you were never asked to make a new pup-save file, it is most likely seeing your old pup-save, as it should, if you didn't hide it or renamed it or you're not starting with the pfix=ram option on the live CD or frugal boot.

Just make a new folder and call it hidepupsave and move the old pup-save and the old pup_xxx.sfs with a frugal install to it.

Without hiding the old pup-save file first, you really don't know how your remaster turned out, because the old pup-save is still being used on the top layer and overruling the CD or pup_xxx.sfs as in a frugal install.

You are correct on the full install not using the pup-save at all. The full install is using the partition, reading and writing to it. You're not using the union layer system as on the live CD or frugal install.

Good Luck, Kal

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#9 Post by Béèm »

Kal wrote:Beem:

When you remaster, your pup save file became integrated into the new pup_xxx.sfs. Of course, this is why you are remastering. This is one reason for the white out files, for removed items to be left out. As he said, his personal setting are on the remastered CD up to that point. You then will need to make a new pup save to go with the remastered CD, when it asks you. Make sure to hide or rename the old save file, (like pup_save-xxx.2fs.old).

For example if you happen to have an extra .sfs file, being used at the time of the remaster, it is included too.

This is how I install the development files most of the time without having to copy them to the hard drive install separately.

Good Luck, Kal
Thanks for this explanation on re mastering. In fact I haven't done it yet.
Is the output of remaster an ISO file?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

d4p

#10 Post by d4p »

Is the output of remaster an ISO file?
Yes, it always better to create an iso file & test it in virtual, before you burn it to cd.

d4p

#11 Post by d4p »

Finally I got it; basically put all personal setting inside the pup_xxx.sfs file.
It works fine on my virtualbox & livecd. It should work also on HD full install, not yet time to do it.
Thanks everybody!