Muppy 084 final ~ hangs at loading msy_main-file to ram

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives

Muppy 084 final ~ hangs at loading msy_main-file to ram

#1 Post by avatar-man »

First of all i am currently using Muppy 080 on my desktop and have configured my ATI X1300 using 3DCC and have also added the devx_080.sfs file and all that is working properly.

My problem is I wanted to use the Muppy 084 final release on my Sony Vaio laptop VGN-FZ180E since it has a better video card and i can't get my ATI card configured with the newer Muppy (on my desktop).

When I try to load the Muppy DVD on my laptop it won't go past loading the main file into RAM, it just hangs there. Any ideas?

Jim in Chicago

MU

#2 Post by MU »

you downloaded the 2 Gigabyte iso?
There are several reports, that it does not run directly from DVD.
Only for some people.
Might be a memory issue.
Copy msy_084.sfs to your harddrive, so that it will be used from there.
That fixes it usually.
Or try the smaller 800 MB version.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

#3 Post by avatar-man »

MU thank you for the quick reply. I will give that a try and let you know if it fixes things.

I am enjoying Muppy 080 big time.

- Jim in Chicago -

#4 Post by avatar-man »

Well, I copied msy_084.sfs to the C:\ on my laptop....but it still did the same thing. I'm sure the hard drive is NFTS, but as long as I had it right on C:\ and not in a folder or anything that should matter right?

I know the DVD works because it loaded fine in two other systems - including my home desktop.

I noticed it said searching the harddrive for files before it went to load the main msy file in RAM. It didn't list out that it found anything. Don't know if that is important or not.

Anyway, it's not awful for me, since I can use Muppy 080 fine on my desktop but after all the good work you put into this creation i figure it helps for you to know these things.

If you want me to try something else - i'll be glad to.

- Jim in Chicago -

oh, and now i just thought of something - Windows made the name of the file all CAPITAL letters...let me go change that and see if it makes a difference!!

#5 Post by avatar-man »

well, I made the msy_084.sfs all lower case but still did not work.
when it got to the loading msy_084.sfs in ram it reported failed

van71

#6 Post by van71 »

Hi, I'm having the same, or very similar, issue:

Trying to run the live DVD on an IBM T60 with 2GB of RAM, here's what I run in to:

Code: Select all

Loading the 'msy_084.sfs" main file...copying to RAM    failed
writing '/mnt/tmpfs/msy_084.sfs':no space left on device
mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /pup_ro2 failed
Pausing for 60 seconds
Perform a 'switch_root' to the new file system...Kernel Panic - not syncing:  Attempted to kill init!
Thanks.

shr1k

#7 Post by shr1k »

Code: Select all

Loading the 'msy_084.sfs" main file...copying to RAM    failed
writing '/mnt/tmpfs/msy_084.sfs':no space left on device
mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /pup_ro2 failed
Pausing for 60 seconds
Perform a 'switch_root' to the new file system...Kernel Panic - not syncing:  Attempted to kill init!
I got the same thing on my HP v6000 laptop with 2.5 gigs of ram. I bought an 8 gig usb stick OVERPRICED a Walmart for 25 bucks. I reformatted it to fat 32, I used wNOP and the puppy installer to install wNOP on the stick. I then replaced the the wNop files with the files from the muppy iso I downloaded. I left any new files that the puppy installer wrote to the stick. I had to use the Muppy live cd iso to get boot up. I also copied the 2 big add on sfs (I cant remember the exact names)files to the stick. My understanding is this setup includes everything on the dvd. So far this working good for me.

van71

#8 Post by van71 »

I do appreciate the response and thank you, shr1k. At the risk of sounding unappreciative, I wonder if anyone has gotten this to work in the manner intended? If so, where might I have gone astray and what can I do to make this work?

Thanks.