DHCP Timeout with Motorola Canopy antenna

Word Warrior

#16 Post by Word Warrior »

I used ifconfig to change the IP and netmask of eth0, but that did not help any. This is what happened when I tried to configure the default gateway:

# route add default gw 66.128.82.225
route: SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

From the network wizard when trying to connect using a static IP (two error dialog boxes):

1)WARNING: Your netmask does not correspond to your network address class.

2)Your gateway is not on the network. Please try again.

I ran the network wizard again to re-configure DHCP, and I got this output from the shell I ran the wizard in:

Error, eth0: timed out
Error, eth0: lease information file `/var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-eth0.info' does not exist
Warning, eth0: using IPV4LL address 169.254.50.31

Is it possible that my network card has a different MAC address in Windows than in Linux? Another interesting thing I noticed is that ipconfig (in Windows) lists two Ethernet connections and randomly lists one or the other as connected (my card does have two Ethernet ports).

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

Sorry, I gave you some misinformation about obtaining your IP in windows. You are running win98, right? If you are click start, run, then type "winipcfg" (without the " " ) hit enter. Should bring up the IP of your adapter. Now, if all goes well, try these numbers in puppy.

Word Warrior

#18 Post by Word Warrior »

I tried the winipcfg command, but it just gave the same numbers as the ipconfig command.

One other thing I forgot to mention: After I changed the IP and netmask with ifconfig, the command's output has changed. Running "ifconfig" after I re-enable DHCP does not give either the IP or the netmask anymore. (If I remember correctly, the whole second line of information for eth0 is omitted.)