NOP 4.1 Released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
magerlab

#91 Post by magerlab »

i have problem with menus when i translated xfce4 to russian( took mo. fliles from deb)
aplication names are translated but the menu items are not
the menu is in english still

Henry

Canon i560 color with Cups SOLVED?

#92 Post by Henry »

LAST EDIT
"* User-contributed printer which is not in the Foomatic packages yet. The data ia not yet verified and/or proofread. The printer entry can be edited by everyone."

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cg ... Canon-i560
------------------------------------------------------------
gray and others,

Nop 4.1.1 prints correctly to my old HP Laserjet 2100.

But, when it prints to my Canon i560 inkjet the color is unusable, from light washed out to high contrast mixed up colors. I have tried adjusting the values, consulting /etc/cups/ppd/Inkjet.ppd with no success. (This printer works perfectly in windows.)

I must have done something wrong in setting up the printer in cups, but I wondered if it might be related to the upgrade to 4.1.1, as apparently two other things were -absvolume (found a good workaround), and failure to print from all wine programs (fixed by changing lpr_cups to lpr-cups in /usr/bin).

EDIT- another test and conclusion -

I installed (I thought) a different inkjet, a Canon iP1600, and tried to print to it exactly as before. The light blinked but it did not print. The free space went down but, in the case of this non-working printer it stayed down, dropping an incremental 2M for each attempt to print. This is exactly the same thing I had observed with the first i560 printer before I finally got it to print (although with bad color). After several unsuccessful attempts the free memory was down by 20M or so.

Also as before, this lost free memory could not be regained by rebooting, even with pfix=fsck, only by restoring a backup! Everything appears to be stable and reproducible, but this unexpected behaviour made me a little nervous.

So probably I had simply not got the inkjet properly installed and configured until later. With the printer working the free mem is now solid! It shows I know little about cups (except that it is not foolproof ;-) or about color management in puppy. Suggestions welcome. Sorry for any unwarranted concern or confusion.
Last edited by Henry on Tue 09 Dec 2008, 22:22, edited 2 times in total.

Henry

Where is gtk+ SOLVED

#93 Post by Henry »

Here's a good repository:

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/pupp ... ackages-4/
---------------------------------------------------
I wrote:

Can someone help me locate a copy of
gtk+-2.12.1-4cups1123.pet (1.4M) ?

Thanks

Henry

Good Nop

#94 Post by Henry »

Good evening, gray and others,

Just finished a series of testing and polishing my Nop. When I first started using puppy it did not always upgrade successfully. (That was also back when one had to be careful not to click in the middle of Opera's "O" or it wouldn't go.) That was nearly two and a half years ago. Since then I have used the same evolving personal file through several puppies and every known Nop version. It is very clean, convenient, and stable. I currently have no known problems.

I just did a test upgrade to Dingo 4.1.2. No problem. But a spartan Nop is what I prefer as a base, with Xfce. I do hope you will continue to support and develop it. There's ample hobbyist activity in puppy, which is good and fertile, but we need a safe and serious version like Nop for serious users - like me.

P.S. I don't have a single whiteout file :)

Henry
Last edited by Henry on Sat 20 Dec 2008, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#95 Post by Henry »

The light blinked but it did not print. The free space went down but, in the case of this non-working printer it stayed down, dropping an incremental 2M for each attempt to print. This is exactly the same thing I had observed with the first i560 printer before I finally got it to print (although with bad color). After several unsuccessful attempts the free memory was down by 20M or so.

Also as before, this lost free memory could not be regained by rebooting, even with pfix=fsck, only by restoring a backup! Everything appears to be stable and reproducible, but this unexpected behaviour made me a little nervous.
Now I see that documents that failed to print, as well as extraneous ppd files ended up in /var/spool/cups/tmp. There were 15.7M of them there (the size of my frustration). Deleting them gave a similar increase to my free space.
Last edited by Henry on Sat 20 Dec 2008, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.

Max Headroom

Please HELP Gray or Anybody!

#96 Post by Max Headroom »

Because I was having issues w/ Compiz-Fusion Features I'd done in a handfull Batch that I couldn't undo ( which I kNo' is either Risky or id10tic, specifically & mainly Locking Windo's on the Desktop & Losing Wobbly Windo's ) plus My Wife was Constantly Conplaining 'bout Firefox Bugs & Crashing etc ( We Separated Our BookMarks this way I use Opera, she Firefox ), so I decided 2 Update 2 the Lastest Dingo 4.1.2 ( Altho Not B4 Trying G_Pup-1.0, Based on Dingo 4.1.2, But Stripped Down to 59 Mb & w/ SMP eNabled, but Alas in Vain ).
So After Doing a Full install o' Dingo 4.1.2 & installing Xfce.Pet, Restarted X, Typed xwin xfce4Dingo ( or Simila' it was After MidNite & I was Tired :( ). Now I've Lost All the Desktop icons, if I Go 2 Menu > FileSystem > PMount I can mnt Any Drive or Partition, But No Windo's Open & I Can't Access M' Files! Any Suggestions Welcome Please. :?

Henry

Cups question

#97 Post by Henry »

While, as I said, Nop 4.1.1 is nearly perfect, printing to my color inkjet i560 is still not. This I guessed might be attributed to the cups ppd being unofficial and unproofed.

seeker had helped me get printing working with the discovery and correction of a broken link. Now I note there is another here. Can anyone shed light on this please?

Code: Select all

/usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-ppds
Thanks

gray

Update to 4.1.2

#98 Post by gray »

NOP has been updated to 4.1.2 standard (bug fixes).
Also upgraded Opera to 9.63

Merry Christmas

Henry

Nop 4.1.2 SOLVED

#99 Post by Henry »

Merry Christmas and thanks to you, gray,

The new Nop upgraded very smoothly, except for one thing.

I have been using wine very satisfactorily through the last two Nop versions with wine-1.0-rc4-i686_410.sfs. The boot manager configuration now does not see it whether or not I rename it with 412.sfs.

EDIT -
Everything is fine now! Before doing the upgrade I had renamed wine to . . .412.sfs, which was not found. (No, no typing error.)

So I wiped the upgrade and repeated it after renaming wine back to . . .410.sfs. It worked :) Well, I guess it was looking for what I had used before, but I couldn't simply put it back into the home folder, not picked up. Had to redo the upgrade with what I had used before.

Henry

Olive08

#100 Post by Olive08 »

First I would like to say a big thanks to gray for his fine work!

Next, following a string of suggestions redirecting me from forum to forum and finally to this thread, I will post an old question of mine here hoping for a successful resolution. I am using NOP 4.1 installed in a USB flash drive. Recently I installed the official Firefox 2.0.0.7 package (because Opera refused to recognize links in some websites as such prefering to treat them as plain text instead). The entry "Firefox web browser" did appear under Menu --> Internet (with no icon in front of it). My question is how to add an icon for Firefox in the menu that drops down at the top of the screen.

In addition, since I saw here that NOP has been updated, where can I get the update from and how can I apply it to my NOP 4.1 installation without having to start from scratch? Would the updated version of Opera solve the problem mentioned above, i.e., treat all links as such?

gray

deja vu

#101 Post by gray »

Olive08,

I already answered the drop down menu Question. see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 86&t=36874

As for the Opera problem - no idea. I have not seen this myself. Try the update, it may work :?

To update an existing installation, use a puppy CD and boot with the pfix=ram option. Then copy the initrd.gz and pup_412.sfs files from the new CD to your existing install (& remove the pup_410.sfs) . Then reboot your installed puppy as before (remove the CD first).

DaveS

#102 Post by DaveS »

Hi Gray. I apologise for asking this question, but could you please tell me where I might download the default cursor theme used in NOP? I find my tired old eyes can see it more clearly than the standard one used in Puppy 4.1, and as I use both distros, I would like to try to install it. Thanks..... DaveS

EDIT: OK, I found it. For others it is called Aero-Drop, and is in a directory /root/.icons/aero-drop
.icons is a hidden directory.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Max Headroom

G'day Merry Xmas Ev'ryOne

#103 Post by Max Headroom »

All I Want 4 Xmas is 2 kNow How 2 increase the Size o' the Text Font in the Title Bar Only ( th' Rest o' th' Screen / Page is Fine & Clear ). I've Already Searched th' Forum & Google, besides Poking around the Menu... Thanx in Advance! 8)

Max Headroom

#104 Post by Max Headroom »

PS Also I installed Several Pet Packages, But 1 of them ( Dunno which 1 ) Morphed the Desktop Partition Drive icons into USB icons, How can I Fix this Easily Please without removing these Packages 1 @ a Time Painfuly, then Re - installing ? :oops:

magerlab

#105 Post by magerlab »

Text Font in the Title Bar Only - what do you mean?

if it's for a font on the window manager - so there's an option in the settings manager to set it

seeker

#106 Post by seeker »

Gray,

Just when I thought Puppy 412 retro with icewm was for sure my everyday version of Puppy, I had to go and try NOP 4.12. I had never tried Xfce until now. This is really nice! I'm posting this from a frugal install of it.

FYI, I found a small bug that makes Thunar hang when clicking a sfs or iso to mount, and Thunar has to be killed with the task manager or reboot to get it to work properly again. It's easy to fix, just comment or remove the code "rox -D $MntPt" at lines 74 and 79 in /usr/sbin/filemnt.

Many thanks for creating this Puppy!

Max Headroom

#107 Post by Max Headroom »

Beg Y'r Pardon People, I Forgot 2 Mention I've Successfully Got Compiz-Fusion Working, ReMastered on2 CD in Fact :) & that is not available 2 Me w/ XFCE, I didn't realise that was a Function o' the Windo' Manager, So I've Scouted around Compiz-Fusion, But Still Can't find the Place!?! :(

HaMMeR

#108 Post by HaMMeR »

Grey,
Thanks for a great Puplet. I am a newb and had tried about a dozen puplets when I found your NOP and BoxPup. I like the conky, clock etc on BoxPup but love the feel of NOP. I think I will learn the ropes a bit & try to get those items over into NOP and have one fantastic puplet. I have one problem which is actually not a puplet issue but a puppy issue in general. The details are in my post here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5&start=30
Don't know if there is any ideas you or anyone else reading this may have but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for a very user friendly for newb puplet.

DaveS

#109 Post by DaveS »

HaMMer........ if you follow the instructions I posted here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 437#260437 you can get Conky running just fine on NOP. Changing the permission of the start up script is a little different using the Thunar file manager in NOP. Right click on the file and select 'properties'. On the permissions tab, select 'allow to run as program'
Also, NOP does not seem to need the mod to the .xinitrc file. Good Luck. It works just fine on my system.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

HaMMeR

#110 Post by HaMMeR »

DaveS,
Thanks for the help. Worked like a charm.