NOP 4.1 Released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Henry

Recapping an old caution, etc.

#121 Post by Henry »

This is well known to us puppy veterans, but I reckon not all newcomers. I dealt with this before a couple of times, most recently in
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=15

but it's easy to overlook, especially in xfce where it seems such an easy, natural thing to do. The copy of pup_save may be corrupted, perhaps in a small, easily overlooked way. For example in my Nops, I set the Xfce file manager to single click and detail view. If I copy that pup_save to backup while running and restore it those options are reset todouble click and icon view, and changing them back is not saved! I mention this as a concrete, reproducible, example that proves the rule.

Henry

More Nop notes

#122 Post by Henry »

Hi, gray, if you're monitoring this, I trust you are and are well, and hope that you are quietly continuing your good Nop work.

As you have noticed, from time to time I use this place to mention minor things noted as I use always the latest Nop daily for production activity. I can well understand your preference to lie low from these minor forum issues as you (hopefully) continue to maintain and improve Nop.

In the past you have pleasantly surprised us with new versions following Barry's new puppy versions. Maybe it's different now that he's pursuing Woof;-) ? He may adopt Xfce also, and perhaps we will end up with great package handling. Will this lend itself to a new and better Nop? Fine, but I hope not too different a Nop, and specifically one that will upgrade existing Nop configurations. Another clean, tested, usable. and business-like puppy.

Best wishes, Henry

PS: Some thoughts. Keep Abiword and Gnumeric in a separate SFS as now. Then business users have a choice between them and the OpenOffice sfs. Of course keep Opera. But its weird email system is not good for business use, especially when they keep changing the format - not good for archiving email. I made every effort to like it. Fortunately it's small and OK for casual use. Sylpheed is excellent and understandable.
It can use gnupg, where Opera for some strange reason cannot. With Operamail I had to manually decrypt our credit card orders, but I can now, with Sylpheed compiled to include gnupg (MU has done such a pet) decrypt such inline gnupg by defining an "action" in Sylpheed.

JMX

NOP: My Master Template

#123 Post by JMX »

gray,

After a few weeks of usage I have found the NOP 4.1.2 remaster to be outstanding for this newbie.

The right-click pop-up menu in NOP is superior to any other distro I have tried. Everything that I use so frequently is just a mouse click away. "Open Terminal Here", "Create Folder/Document Here", "Open with xarchive (or gunzip)", etc. Not 3 or 4 clicks deep, but right in front of me. And the ability to make or change system wide file associations on the fly with just a couple of clicks is a real time saver.

And of course the expanding menu bar at the top always gives me instant access to common utilites no matter what I am doing. I use that little menu bar all the time. This whole interface is so nice, so complete, and so uncluttered.

I am the beneficiary of some very well thought out work. It is laid out so logically and so intuitively that I do not even need a manual. Thanks gray.

My first venture is to make a wireless bundle that includes Wireshark, Kismet, Airoscript, etc in a single sfs file. Using NOP as my master template has made this into a very pleasant and rewarding experience.

tom4jesus

#124 Post by tom4jesus »

Lobster wrote: I had forgotten that Gray is more than able to create a version of Puppy.
Maybe Puppy 4.3?
I will second that!
Can I say wow, fantastic!
I am just trying Nop this past week for the first time.

Coming from using Archlinux and being used to xfce4 that I used on that.
I had really missed some of the features in xfce4 and I have to say Gray that you have done a great job of stripping it down and "pupisizing" it.
Everything in it works great and is extremely well integrated into Puppy.

I did see in Barry's blog he is enjoying xfce4 too, and it would make a great DE for a new breed of Puppy.

Thanks, I have been use NOP as my main puppy since finding it.

Tom

***EDIT
I did a little screen shot to show how I borrowed the logo from the puppy jumping off page to put in my start menu.
Attachments
Screenshot1.png
(38.67 KiB) Downloaded 1566 times
[u]Netbook[/u]; Compaq cq10 with Quirky008,Ubuntu 9.10,W7 :oops:

cat

problem with file open in Opera+Thunar

#125 Post by cat »

Hi everyone!

I'm having a serious problem with File-opening in Opera on NOP that comes up regularly after some time of use (basically on all versions I used, now the most recent one).
When I try to open a file in Opera via file->open or when I try to upload a file via a webform Thunar opens but then crashes, with Opera using all available CPU ressources. Closing the Thunar window is impossible, the only thing that works to shutdown opera is killing the opera process.

I guess this problem is independent of the used hardware as I experienced this on two different Notebooks.

Does anyone else have this problem or maybe even a solution or an idea about what might cause this? I haven't found anything by searching yet, sorry if I missed anything.

I really appreciate NOP, especially because it makes my Linuxophobic girlfriend use Linux, but I'm growing tired of reinstalling it every so often, and with her moving out shortly it might become a dead-end for her linux experience.
Thanks for reading :)

Sage

#126 Post by Sage »

Two suggestions:
Try spending a little time setting up the Preferences. There are more options in Opera than other browsers. If using the 9.x series, some Puppy users have had to disable flash - this is a defect in Puppy (and a small number of other distros), not Opera. As such, there must be folks around on the Web who know the answer to this one. Try searching.
Have you tried Opera10alpha, yet? - a complete revelation and virtually golden, already.
Unlike other browsers, although being a non-free offering, you can write to the developers with your questions. You will find them more friendly and more helpful than the average penguin Forum, present company excepted.

Zyxmon

#127 Post by Zyxmon »

A suggestion: add xfce4_keyboard_plugin. I have tried this plugin from slackware distro and it works fine.

magerlab

#128 Post by magerlab »

this plugin is not so good because it does not read info from xorg.conf
as fbxkb does

magerlab

#129 Post by magerlab »

my suggestion is if possible, to have a fresh xfce4.6 in puppy or Nop based on it

Zyxmon

#130 Post by Zyxmon »

magerlab wrote:this plugin is not so good because it does not read info from xorg.conf
as fbxkb does
Are you sure? It does! Tested in NOP and other distros.

magerlab

#131 Post by magerlab »

Yes, xkb plugin for slackware 12 works
( i previously tried a newer version for xfce 4 .6)
taken from here
http://www.linuxpackages.net/download.php?id=11229
just unpack to /

Gill_Baits

#132 Post by Gill_Baits »

!
Last edited by Gill_Baits on Sat 05 Dec 2009, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#133 Post by Sage »

Nothing wrong with Opera, just need to spend a little time setting options/settings/preferences, etc. and reading previous advice on this Forum, particularly relating to flash and Java settings. Check out add-ons. Might also look at Opera10alpha. Opera is a bit smaller, much faster and infinitely more configurable than anything else available.

davesurrey

#134 Post by davesurrey »

@sage.
It would be very helpful if you could elaborate on "setting options/ settings/preferences etc" that you have felt useful.
The forum is getting so big and sadly the search facility is not the best that it's an uphill struggle to search for all relevant posts that you have found.
Thanks

kpfuser

#135 Post by kpfuser »

gray,

First my thanks for your excellent NOP 4.1.2 which has become my mainstay OS.

Second, a request for help with the following:

In RipOff 0.8.3, the default and only CD ripper of NOP 4.1.2, the only info accessible through the "help" button brings up a number of web pages at sourceforge.net where it is stated categorically that FLAC support has been added to RipOff ever since a previous version. Going through the available buttons reveals that there is no codec present for FLAC. In the absence of this, I could not see how to get RipOff to rip tracks in FLAC. Referring matters to RipOff's creator, produced the following response:
RipOff does come with a FLAC plugin in it's source code. Your distro might not have compiled in the FLAC support. If you can, you might try downloading the RipOff source and compiling from there. One thing you'll need to verify is if your distro ships with the FLAC libraries and headers.
Thus I would appreciate it if you would tell me

1. whether I must compile from source,

2. whether FLAC libraries and headers are included in NOP 4.1.2,

3. how to uninstall the default version of RipOff should I succeed in compiling one that includes FLAC support.

Thanks!

Current

#136 Post by Current »

gray,

First congrats for your excellent NOP 4.1

My only annoyance is the fact that terminal starts whenever I boot. I know that was probably caused by me when I tried to make NOP bulletproof (it's for a school) but I don't know how to stop it from happening. X starts and immediately terminal opens in minimized mode in the panel

Any idea? Do you need more info?

Thanks in advance

kpfuser

#137 Post by kpfuser »

gray,

I have been using NOP 4.1.2 for over a year now with reasonable success. I find its speed and simplicity major attraction points. However, one major failure of mine so far is getting PSIP 0.12 to work. To begin with, the configuration file /root/.psip/pjsua.cfg is missing but even after creating it (using a terminal window) and setting parameter values so as to reflect my id, p/w, and other sip provider info, I am unable to get PSIP 0.12 to start properly so as to allow me to make phone calls. During several such failed attempts I noticed that my account data displayed from within PSIP 0.12 via Configure --> Edit Account do not show the correct sip provider p/w entered previously via a terminal window and that correcting it leads to the creation of duplicate lines in the previously created pjsua.cfg file. In addition, this configuration file cannot be accessed from PSIP 0.12 via Configure --> Edit Config File. This sequence produces the message
Opening config file for editing.
After editing you will need to stop and start pjsua
using the phone menu
but no configuration file to edit.

All of this leads me to believe that there is a bug somewhere in the PSIP 0.12 version that accompanies NOP 4.1.2 (and possibly other versions of NOP). Referring the matter to the official PSIP thread in the Puppy Forum was not met with success. Thus I bring the above to your attention hoping for better results.

Thanks for all of your NOP work! It is great despite of such glitches.

cthisbear

#138 Post by cthisbear »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48179

It's finally here - NOP 431 available.

Chris.