Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Apr 2014, 04:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
NOP 4.1 Released
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 8 of 10 [138 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
seeker

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec 2008, 01:38    Post subject:  

Gray,

Just when I thought Puppy 412 retro with icewm was for sure my everyday version of Puppy, I had to go and try NOP 4.12. I had never tried Xfce until now. This is really nice! I'm posting this from a frugal install of it.

FYI, I found a small bug that makes Thunar hang when clicking a sfs or iso to mount, and Thunar has to be killed with the task manager or reboot to get it to work properly again. It's easy to fix, just comment or remove the code "rox -D $MntPt" at lines 74 and 79 in /usr/sbin/filemnt.

Many thanks for creating this Puppy!
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec 2008, 03:53    Post subject:  

Beg Y'r Pardon People, I Forgot 2 Mention I've Successfully Got Compiz-Fusion Working, ReMastered on2 CD in Fact Smile & that is not available 2 Me w/ XFCE, I didn't realise that was a Function o' the Windo' Manager, So I've Scouted around Compiz-Fusion, But Still Can't find the Place!?! Sad
HaMMeR

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec 2008, 14:28    Post subject:  

Grey,
Thanks for a great Puplet. I am a newb and had tried about a dozen puplets when I found your NOP and BoxPup. I like the conky, clock etc on BoxPup but love the feel of NOP. I think I will learn the ropes a bit & try to get those items over into NOP and have one fantastic puplet. I have one problem which is actually not a puplet issue but a puppy issue in general. The details are in my post here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22245&start=30
Don't know if there is any ideas you or anyone else reading this may have but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for a very user friendly for newb puplet.
DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec 2008, 16:19    Post subject:  

HaMMer........ if you follow the instructions I posted here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=260437#260437 you can get Conky running just fine on NOP. Changing the permission of the start up script is a little different using the Thunar file manager in NOP. Right click on the file and select 'properties'. On the permissions tab, select 'allow to run as program'
Also, NOP does not seem to need the mod to the .xinitrc file. Good Luck. It works just fine on my system.

HaMMeR

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec 2008, 20:07    Post subject:  

DaveS,
Thanks for the help. Worked like a charm.
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec 2008, 03:22    Post subject:  

Hi Gray. I have a most odd problem with NOP 4.1. Basically, I cannot re-use a pup_save file with a fresh installation. I have NOP installed as a hard drive Frugal, and a USB Frugal. If I run from the live CD, I would expect NOP to find the hard drive save file, which it does, and use it, which it also does, thus allowing me to effectively run 'my' set up from the live CD, BUT, when the desktop loads, even though it looks the same, there is a big difference. The menu button either appears and is disabled, or does not appear at all. Desktop icons such as drives etc, usually appear briefly, then are gone.
The launchbars are present, correctly configured, and work just fine. This effectively makes it impossible to transfer my set-up from one pc/boot device to another. Any ideas please?

Henry

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan 2009, 11:16    Post subject: Xfprint
Subject description: does not save settings

When I select print from Mousepad, Xfprint appears as in the screenshot. It never saves settings, although I choose that. So I always have to reselect my laserjet default printer. An unnecesary annoyance I guess.

I use Nop 4.1.2. but this problem was around before that.
xfprint.png
 Description   
 Filesize   36.5 KB
 Viewed   1459 Time(s)

xfprint.png

Max Headroom

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan 2009, 05:41    Post subject:  

Gray Please How Do I Update w/ the Delta File from 4.1 R1 > 4.1.2 Thanx Smile
humbug

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan 2009, 13:04    Post subject: Love it  

grey,
Just a big Thanks for NOP!

I am a newb to Linux and Puppy but NOP is what will make me stick with Puppy. I've used Opera since its shareware days and XFCE looks and works great so far.

Again, thanks!

Steve
magerlab

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan 2009, 13:29    Post subject:  

to use xdelta see this
http://puppylinux.org/wiki/archives/old-wikka-wikki/everything-else/xdelta

Max Headroom

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan 2009, 16:46    Post subject:  

Beg Y'r Pardon magerlab, But I Forget 2 Mention this is a Full install already, Not .iso File, How does this work in my case? Anybody Please! Confused
Henry

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan 2009, 01:16    Post subject: Xfburn - show hidden files doesn't?  

I've been using Xfburn but even though I have the box ticked for "show hidden files," it does neither show nor burn them.

Comments, please?
gizmo

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan 2009, 01:37    Post subject:  

I am only a few days into trying puppy linux. I would prefer Opera and would probably prefer Open Office, so it sounds like I should change to NOP.
A couple of questions:

1. as I am already using Puppy Linux 4.1.2 booting from CD and saving to hard drive, will what is already saved on the hard drive (pupsave file??) have any conflict with starting over with NOP 4.1.2?

2. I have noticed that NOP is designed to run from USB or from HD install, does that mean I can't configure it to boot from CD? I have a Compaq Presario 1200 laptop which has Windows ME, I am too new to Linux to feel comfortable doing anything to upset the Windows already on the hard drive, and I'm not sure if this computer can boot from a USB stick. (Does anyone know or how can I find out?)

What are the hardware requirements for NOP? (I have 192 Mb ram which is the max this computer can take.)

Thanks for your suggestions.
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan 2009, 21:02    Post subject: HELP PLEASE Any1
Subject description: How Do I Password Protect NOP Puppy OS

Our Naughty 7 Yea' Old Boy has Just Bought a PC Game using M' Wifes Online Auction Account, Unauthorized o' Course! I have Created an eNcrypted Pup_Save File, But it Never asks 4 th' Password when We Boot from th' Hard D' Drive Confused ( But Does if I Boot from Any Live Puppy Disk Confused ) ( This is a Full install )
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan 2009, 03:30    Post subject: Just Trying 2 Help M'self...!
Subject description: Just Trying 2 Help M'self...Fello' Carnivores!

Seems Searching This Forum & Googling Returns Results Relative 2 Original Puppy, But I Prefer Opera & XFCE, besides I've got Compiz-Fusion Working so I'm Reluctant 2 Go back!...
Cool
Page 8 of 10 [138 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: