Help needed for making a Privacy Enhanced Pup 4.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Dromeno

Help needed for making a Privacy Enhanced Pup 4.1

#1 Post by Dromeno »

I hope there are a couple of EFF minded people on this forum...

I think Puppy Linux can be of tremendous value for people who need more powerful privacy enhancing tools (think about China and other countries with less democratic governments)

So want to make a "privacy enhanced puppy" similar to TorPUP (but with more features) but based on the new Puppy 4.1. I am still a bit new to Puppy so I could use some help of this community.

I want a puppy which boots from a thumbdrive and which can browse/email/chat/IRC/phone/publish (FTP)//operate a computer from a remote location all with GPG/PGP level of encryption and without revealing the location (IP adres) of the one who uses it.

Additionally I would like the puppy OS be hidden in a TrueCrypt volume on the bootable thumbdrive.

What I need:

-Everything which TorPUP has but then on Puppy 4.1 (the maker of TorPUP, NoNameAmI, so far didn't reply to my attempts to contact him/her - I would love to learn how TorPUP was made)
- Phil ZimMerman's Zphone working with the VOiP client on Puppy
- Thunderbird with Enigmail
- FreeNet working
- Portaputty could be handy so people can remotely access a machine without revealing their location

It would be *very* useful to include a GUI to use Tor's hidden service for publishing an 'untracible' website or operate other service (forum? IRC rooms?) from a Privacy Enhanced Puppy machine of which the IP can not be traced.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

TorPup 4.0 - A Puplet to help protect your privacy

Contact NoNameAm:

" This is the first release and I'm sure there are some issues.
I need suggestions, feedback, etc to work on the next version. "

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=33804

Chris.

Dromeno

TorPup-400 issues

#3 Post by Dromeno »

Thanks Chris,

Yes I have tried the TorPup-400 and there are some issues. Most important one is that it is a bit too privacy-protective: it can not connect to internet on the two machines I have tested it on (a Dell and a AsusEEE900).

Second is that NoNameAmI has not yet published how (s)he made this puplet. I hope more people will jump into this project soon!

moving to the thread you mentioned...

renlac

#4 Post by renlac »

I don't know but it seems to me what would be a nice such puppy could be something like a lighter Incognito:
http://www.browseanonymouslyanywhere.com/incognito/

Puppy deserves it!

Dromeno

Puppy version of Incognito would be excellent

#5 Post by Dromeno »

All is a bit too quiet on the TorPup front so I tried Incognito today. it is based on Gentoo Linux. Gentoo is the fastest swimming penguin (according to wikipedia). But in the case of the incognito distro this is misleading. Takes about ten minutes to almost boot. Almost because i do not get the KDE screen at all.

Better next time

OTOH the idea of Incognito is very good. Anonymous+encrypted surfing, OTR chatting, GPG email, only Zphone is not included.

If TorPU can be modelled towards incognito I am all for it!