Project Ripple [in development]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
aarf

#91 Post by aarf »

@dinky
for GPRS to work it firstly needs a phone that is internet enabled. preferably with a gprs/3G package to reduce costs. then see my first attempt at documentation for GPRS pasted with images previously on page 6 in this ripple thread.
You will need to follow the instructions above before the launcher described below will function.
click on a vacant space the cairo-dock then select> "add manual laucher".> ***you need to type the image address because the "open" button will crash the window***.
here is a sample for the config of the launcher (attached). mine is now in utilities, before that i had it in stats next to wifi.
hidden text

Code: Select all

rxvt -title "pgprs-connect PRESS CTRL+C TO DISCONNECT" -e pgprs-connect
Attachments
launcherPGPRS Connect.png
(68.2 KiB) Downloaded 411 times

dinky

#92 Post by dinky »

Hi Lane, try the 96.43 driver from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34001

It's in Ripple 06-3, but unless your card is recognised as needing it, it won't be the default for manual set-up. try installing this with Ripple, and see how you go. If this won't work, then try all the others. good luck, and let me know what works!
~dinky

aarf

#93 Post by aarf »

how do I recover from selecting "advanced" as opposed to "default" in simple CCSM, junk my pup_save and use my backup pup_save?

rhadon

#94 Post by rhadon »

Hi aarf,
in dockbar select Compiz icon -> Configure Compiz, then Preferences. There you can change Advanced to Default (in Simple CCSM it also didn't work for me). Go back, Ctrl+Alt +Backspace, run xwin and everyrthing should be fine. This worked for me.

Good luck
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

aarf

#95 Post by aarf »

rhadon wrote:Hi aarf,
in dockbar select Compiz icon -> Configure Compiz, then Preferences. There you can change Advanced to Default (in Simple CCSM it also didn't work for me). Go back, Ctrl+Alt +Backspace, run xwin and everyrthing should be fine. This worked for me.

Good luck
Rolf
thanks rhadon. This work around probably offer to in into the wiki and bugs.

aarf

#96 Post by aarf »

Call me not brave if you will but has anyone ventured to instal the firefox3.0.4 update available when it appears on the screen.
Last edited by aarf on Mon 01 Dec 2008, 05:18, edited 1 time in total.

rhadon

#97 Post by rhadon »

aarf wrote:
This work around probably offer to in into the wiki and bugs.
I did it.
Actually I would wait for others to start this for seeing how they do and were, but if everybody thinks in this way, nothing will happen.
If anything can be expressed better or it should stand under user docs, feel free to edit.

aarf wrote:
has anyone ventured to instal the firefox3.0.4 update
No, I've not because i use Opera 9.6.2

LaneLester

#98 Post by LaneLester »

dinky wrote:Hi Lane, try the 96.43 driver from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34001
Good advice, dinky!

I ran the Live CD again, and as before, selecting manual xorg allowed me to pick nVidia, but skipped the step to allow me to select the driver. Since the driver was in a .pet, it may not have mattered.

The boot went as before, to a desktop without Compiz Fusion. I opened the folder with the .pet, and clicking on it got it installed. It offered a plain xorg.conf install or a fancy one for Compiz Fusion, which I selected. I restarted X, and sure enough, the nVidia and Compuz Fusion logos were both displayed. And I had window management with title bars and such.

What I no longer had, however, were the desktop widgets! So although I had Cairo at the bottom and could run Firefox, I lacked the menu widget that I think I needed to get pconnect. So I couldn't get online until I rebooted to Ubuntu where I am now.

Later: I saved the previous CD session, so I booted the CD again without pfix=ram in hopes of getting Compiz Fusion running immediately. But no luck. I had forgotten that keyboard input is broken where you're asked which save file on the hard drive you want to use.

Lane

rhadon

#99 Post by rhadon »

LaneLester wrote:
What I no longer had, however, were the desktop widgets! So although I had Cairo at the bottom and could run Firefox, I lacked the menu widget that I think I needed to get pconnect. So I couldn't get online until I rebooted to Ubuntu where I am now.
Try the F9-key. I think that's the missing part of the puzzle. Selecting the penguin you will get the usual menu of puppy.

Rolf

Edit: How can I change the word 'Quote' above? Hope, a small stupid question off topic is allowed.

LaneLester

#100 Post by LaneLester »

rhadon wrote:Try the F9-key. I think that's the missing part of the puzzle.
Thanks, it was indeed!

I did a full install of Ripple, which now boots to Compiz Fusion.
rhadon also wrote:How can I change the word 'Quote' above?
That's what you get when the "quote" code doesn't have a parameter. The quote at the top begins with (bracket)quote="rhadon"(bracket). Then I got fancy with the next one. :)

Lane

rhadon

#101 Post by rhadon »

LaneLester wrote:The quote at the top begins with (bracket)quote="rhadon"(bracket). Then I got fancy with the next one.
For this kind of qustions I can digging for hours in the forum without success. Great help. Thank you.
Rolf

dinky

#102 Post by dinky »

Great work people! Glad you got it sorted Lane, and thanks for everyone who's been adding to the wiki. I've been folllowing these threads, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to actually find time to sit down and post. Currently my 2 month old daughter is tied to my chest sleeping, so I can finally sit down and write...

@aarf
No troubles with Firefox 3.0.4, updated awhile ago. Usually the Firefox updates work flawlessly, wheras I found that Opera needed installation. (not hard, mind you, but installation all the same) I haven't tried the most recent Opera however.

@Rhadon
Did you sort your ATI graphics card? I noticed your post in the Ripple Release thread was before Lane Lester above sorted out difficulties. A couple things to try. Firstly, your Radeon card might work without any extra drivers needed, as it's Radeon, and that tends to be supported by the open source drivers built into Ripple. It's possible that 06-3 recognized your card and loaded the wrong drivers... or didn't load drivers at all. So first step, try Ripple 06-2 as a test bed. What happens when you start it? Is it the same as Ripple-06-3, or different? If it's the same, Ripple is configuring your card with the open source drivers, which isn't working, and if it's different, it's loading drivers that aren't working.

After that, try loading different drivers in ripple_06-2 to get compiz running. cfwizard (run by either running xorgwizard, or simply typing cfwizard when logged out of X) should configure xorg and your other files appropriately, it just lacks the needed drivers in 06_2. Follow the link I gave Lane Lester above, but this time try the more recent drivers (with higher numbers) first. A pain, but I'd recommend making backups of your pup_save file, and doing it 'cleanly' each time.. i.e., try one driver, if it doesn't work, restore your pup_save file, then try another driver. Not sure, but they might have issues if you install them all together.

Good luck Rhadon, and let me know how you go. Glad you got it working, and are liking it, for the eeepc. Next step, ATI card support!

@LaneLester
Thanks so much for that mate! I see why Tom said the cfwizard script never really worked for manual setup.... will have to get some clever person to hack into that and fix it. What we've just found out though is which driver is needed to support your card.. simple to fix really. That driver is already in ripple_06-3, but didn't configure properly for your card. I can fix that for the next test release with the drivers... simple matter of editing a few lines in the cfwizard. I'll let you know when I've done that, so you can test again. It should work next time. Cheers!

~dinky

dinky

#103 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, getting too difficult running 2 threads on Ripple, they are crossing over too much. Lets move all further Ripple discussions to the release thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 779#248779

I've just made a Development Page on the wiki, it's here:
http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/linux/ ... evelopment

Lets use that for any in-depth talk of development in Ripple, so others can follow it easily and it doesn't clog up the Release thread. Cheers.
~dinky

aarf

#104 Post by aarf »

apologies.
moved to the releases thread